Re: Need historical information

  • David Goodrich
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 2, 2010
      Gerald,
      I agree that lye is the modern name but "ley" is the historic term that
      would have been used in 1879. See MacKellar's "The American Printer", pgs
      264-5. According to this, the pressman was responsible for washing the form
      after printing so our heroine would not have had a special position for this
      duty. But distributing the type afterwards sounds like a perfect job for a
      novice.
      David