Re: [PPLetterpress] ISO archival labels w/adhesive backing

  • Scott Rubel
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2010
      If Crane has cotton labels, that's a good thing and naturally archival,
      but it's more likely the adhesive that you need to watch for. You would
      need a label that is ph-neutral and I suspect water activated. I don't
      know that there are any peel-off adhesives that are archival. Please let
      us know what you find out. --Scott

      Peter Fraterdeus wrote:
      > I believe that Crane papers lists adhesive backed labels in their catalog. I'm sure the paper is archival, but don't know about the sticky.
      >
      > In any case, I wouldn't use an adhesive sticker in an antique book.
      > Use a glue-stick (such as UHU) which is reversible (water-soluable), and archival.
      > Or something like Methyl Cellulose...
      >
      > Cheers!
      > Peter
      >
      > On 1 Feb 2010, at 11:14 AM, Tia Blassingame wrote:
      >

      >> I am looking for archival labels with adhesive backing that are suitable for letterpress. They will go in antique books. The minimum dimensions are 4" x 6", but a large sheet to cut down is preferred.
      >> Does anyone know what, if any, manufacturer makes this/what company sells this?
      >> Any leads are greatly appreciated!
      >> --
      >> --
      >> Tia Blassingame, LEED GA
      >> Primrose Press
      >> environmentally-friendly letterpress stationeryprimrosepress.etsy.com
      >> twitter.com/primrosepress
      >>

      > Peter Fraterdeus
      > Exquisite letterpress takes time´┐Ż
      > http://slowprint.com/
      >
      > IdeasWords : Idea Swords
      > Communication Strategy
      > Semiotx.com @ideaswords

    • Katherine Risseeuw
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2010
        Ed is right, wheat starch paste is the best option here, as it is
        reversible.

        A good resource for these questions is the Conservation Online Distlist,
        with searchable archives from CoOL, as well as the Preservation
        Administration listserv (PADG). Suppliers of archival materials are listed,
        as well.
        http://cool.conservation-us.org/

        Enjoy!

        Katie Risseeuw

        From: Ed Inman <edinman@...>
        Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 12:08:39 -0600
        To: <PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] ISO archival labels w/adhesive backing

        I asked that same question many years ago and was told rather sternly by
        some librarians there is really no such thing as an archival self-adhesive
        sticker suitable for bookplates. Over time they will peel and stain, causing
        damage to antique books.
        I was told a more professional approach is to use an acid free paper
        attached with wheat paste:
        http://www.danielsmith.com/Item--i-284-900-052
        Ed

        >I am looking for archival labels with adhesive backing that are suitable
        for
        letterpress. They will go in antique books. The minimum dimensions are 4" x
        6",
        but a large sheet to cut down is preferred.
        >Does anyone know what, if any, manufacturer makes this/what company sells
        this?
        >Any leads are greatly appreciated!
        >--
        >--
        >Tia Blassingame, LEED GA
        >Primrose Press
        >environmentally-friendly letterpress stationeryprimrosepress.etsy.com
        >twitter.com/primrosepress

      • John Risseeuw
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2010
          Yes, it worked. Good post.
          Now you'll turn up in their archives when someone searches far into the
          future.

          On 2/1/10 3:22 PM, "Katherine Risseeuw" <kt.risseeuw@...> wrote:

          > Ed is right, wheat starch paste is the best option here, as it is
          > reversible.
          >
          > A good resource for these questions is the Conservation Online Distlist,
          > with searchable archives from CoOL, as well as the Preservation
          > Administration listserv (PADG). Suppliers of archival materials are listed,
          > as well.
          > http://cool.conservation-us.org/
          >
          > Enjoy!
          >
          > Katie Risseeuw
          >

          > From: Ed Inman <edinman@...>
          > Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 12:08:39 -0600
          > To: <PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>
          > Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] ISO archival labels w/adhesive backing
          >
          > I asked that same question many years ago and was told rather sternly by
          > some librarians there is really no such thing as an archival self-adhesive
          > sticker suitable for bookplates. Over time they will peel and stain, causing
          > damage to antique books.
          > I was told a more professional approach is to use an acid free paper
          > attached with wheat paste:
          > http://www.danielsmith.com/Item--i-284-900-052
          > Ed

        • Tia Blassingame
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 2, 2010
            Everyone,
            Thank you very much for your suggestions and leads. I really appreciate!
            Tia Blassingame, LEED GAPrimrose Pressprimrosepress.etsy.comwww.twitter.com/primrosepress