Re: [PPLetterpress] ISO archival labels w/adhesive backing

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2010
      I believe that Crane papers lists adhesive backed labels in their catalog. I'm sure the paper is archival, but don't know about the sticky.

      In any case, I wouldn't use an adhesive sticker in an antique book.
      Use a glue-stick (such as UHU) which is reversible (water-soluable), and archival.
      Or something like Methyl Cellulose...

      Cheers!
      Peter

      On 1 Feb 2010, at 11:14 AM, Tia Blassingame wrote:

      > I am looking for archival labels with adhesive backing that are suitable for letterpress. They will go in antique books. The minimum dimensions are 4" x 6", but a large sheet to cut down is preferred.
      > Does anyone know what, if any, manufacturer makes this/what company sells this?
      > Any leads are greatly appreciated!
      > --
      > --
      > Tia Blassingame, LEED GA
      > Primrose Press
      > environmentally-friendly letterpress stationeryprimrosepress.etsy.com
      > twitter.com/primrosepress

      Peter Fraterdeus
      Exquisite letterpress takes time™
      http://slowprint.com/

      IdeasWords : Idea Swords
      Communication Strategy
      Semiotx.com @ideaswords
    • Ed Inman
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2010
        I asked that same question many years ago and was told rather sternly by some librarians there is really no such thing as an archival self-adhesive sticker suitable for bookplates. Over time they will peel and stain, causing damage to antique books.
        I was told a more professional approach is to use an acid free paper attached with wheat paste:
        http://www.danielsmith.com/Item--i-284-900-052
        Ed

        >I am looking for archival labels with adhesive backing that are suitable for letterpress. They will go in antique books. The minimum dimensions are 4" x 6", but a large sheet to cut down is preferred.
        >Does anyone know what, if any, manufacturer makes this/what company sells this?
        >Any leads are greatly appreciated!
        >--
        >--
        >Tia Blassingame, LEED GA
        >Primrose Press
        >environmentally-friendly letterpress stationeryprimrosepress.etsy.com
        >twitter.com/primrosepress

      • Scott Rubel
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2010
          If Crane has cotton labels, that's a good thing and naturally archival,
          but it's more likely the adhesive that you need to watch for. You would
          need a label that is ph-neutral and I suspect water activated. I don't
          know that there are any peel-off adhesives that are archival. Please let
          us know what you find out. --Scott

          Peter Fraterdeus wrote:
          > I believe that Crane papers lists adhesive backed labels in their catalog. I'm sure the paper is archival, but don't know about the sticky.
          >
          > In any case, I wouldn't use an adhesive sticker in an antique book.
          > Use a glue-stick (such as UHU) which is reversible (water-soluable), and archival.
          > Or something like Methyl Cellulose...
          >
          > Cheers!
          > Peter
          >
          > On 1 Feb 2010, at 11:14 AM, Tia Blassingame wrote:
          >

          >> I am looking for archival labels with adhesive backing that are suitable for letterpress. They will go in antique books. The minimum dimensions are 4" x 6", but a large sheet to cut down is preferred.
          >> Does anyone know what, if any, manufacturer makes this/what company sells this?
          >> Any leads are greatly appreciated!
          >> --
          >> --
          >> Tia Blassingame, LEED GA
          >> Primrose Press
          >> environmentally-friendly letterpress stationeryprimrosepress.etsy.com
          >> twitter.com/primrosepress
          >>

          > Peter Fraterdeus
          > Exquisite letterpress takes time�
          > http://slowprint.com/
          >
          > IdeasWords : Idea Swords
          > Communication Strategy
          > Semiotx.com @ideaswords

        • Katherine Risseeuw
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2010
            Ed is right, wheat starch paste is the best option here, as it is
            reversible.

            A good resource for these questions is the Conservation Online Distlist,
            with searchable archives from CoOL, as well as the Preservation
            Administration listserv (PADG). Suppliers of archival materials are listed,
            as well.
            http://cool.conservation-us.org/

            Enjoy!

            Katie Risseeuw

            From: Ed Inman <edinman@...>
            Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 12:08:39 -0600
            To: <PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>
            Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] ISO archival labels w/adhesive backing

            I asked that same question many years ago and was told rather sternly by
            some librarians there is really no such thing as an archival self-adhesive
            sticker suitable for bookplates. Over time they will peel and stain, causing
            damage to antique books.
            I was told a more professional approach is to use an acid free paper
            attached with wheat paste:
            http://www.danielsmith.com/Item--i-284-900-052
            Ed

            >I am looking for archival labels with adhesive backing that are suitable
            for
            letterpress. They will go in antique books. The minimum dimensions are 4" x
            6",
            but a large sheet to cut down is preferred.
            >Does anyone know what, if any, manufacturer makes this/what company sells
            this?
            >Any leads are greatly appreciated!
            >--
            >--
            >Tia Blassingame, LEED GA
            >Primrose Press
            >environmentally-friendly letterpress stationeryprimrosepress.etsy.com
            >twitter.com/primrosepress

          • John Risseeuw
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1, 2010
              Yes, it worked. Good post.
              Now you'll turn up in their archives when someone searches far into the
              future.

              On 2/1/10 3:22 PM, "Katherine Risseeuw" <kt.risseeuw@...> wrote:

              > Ed is right, wheat starch paste is the best option here, as it is
              > reversible.
              >
              > A good resource for these questions is the Conservation Online Distlist,
              > with searchable archives from CoOL, as well as the Preservation
              > Administration listserv (PADG). Suppliers of archival materials are listed,
              > as well.
              > http://cool.conservation-us.org/
              >
              > Enjoy!
              >
              > Katie Risseeuw
              >

              > From: Ed Inman <edinman@...>
              > Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 12:08:39 -0600
              > To: <PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>
              > Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] ISO archival labels w/adhesive backing
              >
              > I asked that same question many years ago and was told rather sternly by
              > some librarians there is really no such thing as an archival self-adhesive
              > sticker suitable for bookplates. Over time they will peel and stain, causing
              > damage to antique books.
              > I was told a more professional approach is to use an acid free paper
              > attached with wheat paste:
              > http://www.danielsmith.com/Item--i-284-900-052
              > Ed

            • Tia Blassingame
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 2, 2010
                Everyone,
                Thank you very much for your suggestions and leads. I really appreciate!
                Tia Blassingame, LEED GAPrimrose Pressprimrosepress.etsy.comwww.twitter.com/primrosepress