Re: Fox River Teton

  • digitalletterpress
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 15, 2010
      Not sure where this information about Teton came from, but my supplier called the mill and they said that it was not being discontinued.

      Bradley Hutchinson
      letterpress.com
      1906 Miriam
      Austin, Texas 78722
    • typetom@aol.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 15, 2010
        Apparently my occasional purchase of appropriate papers for my small
        printing efforts has been adequate to absolve me from guilt or blame or despair!

        Gerald's eloquent rant notwithstanding, I don't quite feel I deserve credit
        or blame for the failures of capitalism. Monotype did not cause the
        failure of ATF. The collapse of "real" type foundries came from within (read Theo
        Rehak on ATF), as well as from changes in the market that were much larger
        than the purchasing power of any of us. Using a home-made exposure box, or
        various kinds of DIY bases, using cheaper methods to make letterpress
        printing viable - pathetic? I make the best I can of what is possible. Surely
        that's what those pathetic printers did who worked with wooden handpresses
        and inkballs.

        I'd rather pay tribute to Jim Rimmer, who invented his own ways to make
        type and beautiful books, than lament that we are a hopeless lot.
        Tom

        Tom Parson/ Now It's Up To You/ Denver Back-alley Type
        157 S Logan, Denver CO 80209
        (303) 777-8951 - home & letterpress printshop
        (720) 480-5358 - cranky cellphone
        _typetom@..._ (mailto:typetom@...)
        _www.froglok.com/typetom_ (http://www.froglok.com/typetom/) (way out of
        date website!)

        In a message dated 1/15/2010 10:52:22 A.M. Mountain Standard Time,
        bradley@... writes:

        Not sure where this information about Teton came from, but my supplier
        called the mill and they said that it was not being discontinued.

        Bradley Hutchinson
        letterpress.com
        1906 Miriam
        Austin, Texas 78722

      • Ed Inman
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 15, 2010
          This 2007 blog offers a little information on Teton:
          http://www.thepapermillstore.com/blog/2007/04/neenah-paper-announces-plans-for.html

          One graph states as follows:
          Neenah is contemplating how to position and how to move forward with; Crushed Leaf, Valley Forge, Parchment, Voice, EverGreen, Gainsborough and Teton. They state they will "extract the strengths moving forward" from these brands and position them appropriately.

          What exactly that means I'm not sure. It doesn't say they are "discontinued," but neither did Neenah promise to "fully support" them as they did with some other former Fox River brands.

          There is no longer any mention of or links to "Teton" as an active brand at neenahpaper.com. Nor is it any longer stocked by my local supplier.

          If it is still being made I'd love to know who carries it at this point, in what weights/colors, and how it can be ordered.

          thanks,
          Ed

          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 15, 2010
            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "digitalletterpress" <bradley@...> wrote:

            > Not sure where this information about Teton came from, but my supplier called the mill and they said that it was not being discontinued.

            True, I have purchased Teton announcement envelopes and parent sheets of cover stock in the last month through Kelly Paper. But there is no _current_ mention of Teton on the Neenah company website and it is not listed among their line of papers. Or perhaps the information is hidden behind another impenatrable layer of javascript.
            As for the Pastelle rumor, a customer ordered some Pastelle cover from a local paper distributor and was told that it was going to be discontinued in the future, and whether specifically true or not, it is part of the same dismal trend. At the last local paper house the discontinued printing papers have been replaced with digital paper. Even many of the letterhead sheets are going to "digital finish" which takes most of the texture away.
            --Eric Holub, SF
          • Gene Pawlowski
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 15, 2010