Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Fox River Teton

    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 15, 2010
      Lone Ranger: "Tonto, we're surrounded by Indians! It's looking Hopeless!"

      Tonto: "What d'you mean 'WE' Kimosabe???

      :-)

      (Apologies for the dated, culturally insensitive references...)

      On 15 Jan 2010, at 1:36 AM, bielerpr wrote:

      > Hi
      >
      > Well, the problem isn't just this, it's also because we, as consumers continually fail to support the good products. Curtis Mills didn't fail because they were bought out by the corporates, they failed because we failed, we did not support their efforts to produce fine quality commercial papers. Just like the type foundries failed as we preferred to buy Monotype or Linotype because they were cheaper. How many continual posts does one have to look at on Briar Discussions to come to the realization that we letterpress folks are a hopeless lot. Folks would rather make their own pathetic bases than buy a precision Bunting or even a Boxcar base. DIY is King. Cheaper is better, cheapest is best. Folks seriously consider the plastic "Letterpress Machine" as an economically viable printing press. Why take the easy out and point the finger at the usual suspects? And somehow feel justified? We are responsible as well. And we deserve this.
      >
      > Gerald
      > http://BielerPress.blogspot.com

      Peter Fraterdeus
      Exquisite letterpress takes time™
      http://slowprint.com/

      IdeasWords : Idea Swords
      Communication Strategy
      Semiotx.com @ideaswords
    • Jessica Spring
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 15, 2010
        I think Gerald has a valid point here. In the same way we can support
        the few foundries that are left, we need to support papermakers and
        small suppliers out there or they'll go away. (Remember Aiko's in
        Chicago?!) Try something besides Lettra...

        Paper Studio carries a large variety of mouldmade sheets and Japanese
        paper plus makes handmade paper from natural and recycled fibers (http://www.paperstudio.com/
        )
        Arch Paper uses recycled cotton clothing to make their paper (http://www.archpaper.net/servlet/StoreFront
        )
        Cave Paper (http://www.cavepaper.com/)
        Twinrocker (http://www.twinrocker.com/)
        Atlantic Paper (http://www.atlanticpapers.com/) imports mouldmade
        papers from Germany, offers duplexed sheets, and a large variety of
        envelopes.

        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
        Jessica Spring
        http://www.springtidepress.com

      • digitalletterpress
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 15, 2010
          Not sure where this information about Teton came from, but my supplier called the mill and they said that it was not being discontinued.

          Bradley Hutchinson
          letterpress.com
          1906 Miriam
          Austin, Texas 78722
        • typetom@aol.com
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 15, 2010
            Apparently my occasional purchase of appropriate papers for my small
            printing efforts has been adequate to absolve me from guilt or blame or despair!

            Gerald's eloquent rant notwithstanding, I don't quite feel I deserve credit
            or blame for the failures of capitalism. Monotype did not cause the
            failure of ATF. The collapse of "real" type foundries came from within (read Theo
            Rehak on ATF), as well as from changes in the market that were much larger
            than the purchasing power of any of us. Using a home-made exposure box, or
            various kinds of DIY bases, using cheaper methods to make letterpress
            printing viable - pathetic? I make the best I can of what is possible. Surely
            that's what those pathetic printers did who worked with wooden handpresses
            and inkballs.

            I'd rather pay tribute to Jim Rimmer, who invented his own ways to make
            type and beautiful books, than lament that we are a hopeless lot.
            Tom

            Tom Parson/ Now It's Up To You/ Denver Back-alley Type
            157 S Logan, Denver CO 80209
            (303) 777-8951 - home & letterpress printshop
            (720) 480-5358 - cranky cellphone
            _typetom@..._ (mailto:typetom@...)
            _www.froglok.com/typetom_ (http://www.froglok.com/typetom/) (way out of
            date website!)

            In a message dated 1/15/2010 10:52:22 A.M. Mountain Standard Time,
            bradley@... writes:

            Not sure where this information about Teton came from, but my supplier
            called the mill and they said that it was not being discontinued.

            Bradley Hutchinson
            letterpress.com
            1906 Miriam
            Austin, Texas 78722

          • Ed Inman
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 15, 2010
              This 2007 blog offers a little information on Teton:
              http://www.thepapermillstore.com/blog/2007/04/neenah-paper-announces-plans-for.html

              One graph states as follows:
              Neenah is contemplating how to position and how to move forward with; Crushed Leaf, Valley Forge, Parchment, Voice, EverGreen, Gainsborough and Teton. They state they will "extract the strengths moving forward" from these brands and position them appropriately.

              What exactly that means I'm not sure. It doesn't say they are "discontinued," but neither did Neenah promise to "fully support" them as they did with some other former Fox River brands.

              There is no longer any mention of or links to "Teton" as an active brand at neenahpaper.com. Nor is it any longer stocked by my local supplier.

              If it is still being made I'd love to know who carries it at this point, in what weights/colors, and how it can be ordered.

              thanks,
              Ed

              >Not sure where this information about Teton came from, but my supplier called the mill and they said that it was not being discontinued.
              >Bradley Hutchinson
              >letterpress.com
              >1906 Miriam
              >Austin, Texas 78722
            • Eric
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 15, 2010
                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "digitalletterpress" <bradley@...> wrote:

                > Not sure where this information about Teton came from, but my supplier called the mill and they said that it was not being discontinued.

                True, I have purchased Teton announcement envelopes and parent sheets of cover stock in the last month through Kelly Paper. But there is no _current_ mention of Teton on the Neenah company website and it is not listed among their line of papers. Or perhaps the information is hidden behind another impenatrable layer of javascript.
                As for the Pastelle rumor, a customer ordered some Pastelle cover from a local paper distributor and was told that it was going to be discontinued in the future, and whether specifically true or not, it is part of the same dismal trend. At the last local paper house the discontinued printing papers have been replaced with digital paper. Even many of the letterhead sheets are going to "digital finish" which takes most of the texture away.
                --Eric Holub, SF
              • Gene Pawlowski
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 15, 2010