Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Fox River Teton

  • Ed Inman
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 15, 2010
      Strathmore Pastelle is currently available online at the Mohawk store, including the hard-to-find 100 lb. cover weight. Envelopes too.

      http://www.mohawkpaperstore.com/paper-product-lines

      Seems to be down only to the three white shades though.

      Hope it doesn't get discontinued. It seems far more popular than Teton ever was among commercial printers.
      Ed

        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 15, 2010
          I think Gerald has a valid point here. In the same way we can support
          the few foundries that are left, we need to support papermakers and
          small suppliers out there or they'll go away. (Remember Aiko's in
          Chicago?!) Try something besides Lettra...

          Paper Studio carries a large variety of mouldmade sheets and Japanese
          paper plus makes handmade paper from natural and recycled fibers (http://www.paperstudio.com/
          )
          Arch Paper uses recycled cotton clothing to make their paper (http://www.archpaper.net/servlet/StoreFront
          )
          Cave Paper (http://www.cavepaper.com/)
          Twinrocker (http://www.twinrocker.com/)
          Atlantic Paper (http://www.atlanticpapers.com/) imports mouldmade
          papers from Germany, offers duplexed sheets, and a large variety of
          envelopes.

          . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
          Jessica Spring
          http://www.springtidepress.com

        • digitalletterpress
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 15, 2010
            Not sure where this information about Teton came from, but my supplier called the mill and they said that it was not being discontinued.

            Bradley Hutchinson
            letterpress.com
            1906 Miriam
            Austin, Texas 78722
          • typetom@aol.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 15, 2010
              Apparently my occasional purchase of appropriate papers for my small
              printing efforts has been adequate to absolve me from guilt or blame or despair!

              Gerald's eloquent rant notwithstanding, I don't quite feel I deserve credit
              or blame for the failures of capitalism. Monotype did not cause the
              failure of ATF. The collapse of "real" type foundries came from within (read Theo
              Rehak on ATF), as well as from changes in the market that were much larger
              than the purchasing power of any of us. Using a home-made exposure box, or
              various kinds of DIY bases, using cheaper methods to make letterpress
              printing viable - pathetic? I make the best I can of what is possible. Surely
              that's what those pathetic printers did who worked with wooden handpresses
              and inkballs.

              I'd rather pay tribute to Jim Rimmer, who invented his own ways to make
              type and beautiful books, than lament that we are a hopeless lot.
              Tom

              Tom Parson/ Now It's Up To You/ Denver Back-alley Type
              157 S Logan, Denver CO 80209
              (303) 777-8951 - home & letterpress printshop
              (720) 480-5358 - cranky cellphone
              _typetom@..._ (mailto:typetom@...)
              _www.froglok.com/typetom_ (http://www.froglok.com/typetom/) (way out of
              date website!)

              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 15, 2010
                This 2007 blog offers a little information on Teton:
                http://www.thepapermillstore.com/blog/2007/04/neenah-paper-announces-plans-for.html

                One graph states as follows:
                Neenah is contemplating how to position and how to move forward with; Crushed Leaf, Valley Forge, Parchment, Voice, EverGreen, Gainsborough and Teton. They state they will "extract the strengths moving forward" from these brands and position them appropriately.

                What exactly that means I'm not sure. It doesn't say they are "discontinued," but neither did Neenah promise to "fully support" them as they did with some other former Fox River brands.

                There is no longer any mention of or links to "Teton" as an active brand at neenahpaper.com. Nor is it any longer stocked by my local supplier.

                If it is still being made I'd love to know who carries it at this point, in what weights/colors, and how it can be ordered.

                thanks,
                Ed

                >Not sure where this information about Teton came from, but my supplier called the mill and they said that it was not being discontinued.
                >Bradley Hutchinson
                >letterpress.com
                >1906 Miriam
                >Austin, Texas 78722
              • Eric
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 15, 2010
                  --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "digitalletterpress" <bradley@...> wrote:

                  > Not sure where this information about Teton came from, but my supplier called the mill and they said that it was not being discontinued.

                  True, I have purchased Teton announcement envelopes and parent sheets of cover stock in the last month through Kelly Paper. But there is no _current_ mention of Teton on the Neenah company website and it is not listed among their line of papers. Or perhaps the information is hidden behind another impenatrable layer of javascript.
                  As for the Pastelle rumor, a customer ordered some Pastelle cover from a local paper distributor and was told that it was going to be discontinued in the future, and whether specifically true or not, it is part of the same dismal trend. At the last local paper house the discontinued printing papers have been replaced with digital paper. Even many of the letterhead sheets are going to "digital finish" which takes most of the texture away.
                  --Eric Holub, SF
                • Gene Pawlowski
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 15, 2010
                    Lone Ranger: "Tonto, we're surrounded by Indians! It's looking Hopeless!"

                    Tonto: "What d'you mean 'WE' Kimosabe???

                    :-)