[PPLetterpress] Re: Fox River Teton

  • sylvia chevrier
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 14, 2010
      I've kept looking and have come up with a couple of other felt
      sheets-- Revere Felt, avail. from Legion Paper, and Odeon, from Reich
      Paper.

      >--- In
      ><mailto:PPLetterpress%40yahoogroups.com>PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com,
      >"Eric" <Megalonyx@...> wrote:
      >
      >> Strathmore Pastelle is still available, and like Teton has a
      >>deckle edge, though a harder sheet on metal type.
      >
      >Today I heard that Pastelle is also going to be discontinued at some
      >point. Too bad, since it and Teton both had deckle edge announcement
      >envelopes.
      >--Eric Holub, SF

    • Matt Kelsey
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 14, 2010
        Whiting Paper Co. has Brockway paper and envelopes available with deckled
        edge. I haven't tried it yet and it isn't widely distributed as far as I
        know, but it is available through paper-papers.com, and I have had good
        response from them in the past for sample requests as well as for filling
        orders quickly. Whiting is a small specialty paper mill, from what I have
        read... perhaps they are more likely to support low volume products like
        this. But it's a shame to see similar papers disappear when they were once
        widely available. My Kelly Paper catalog from just last year lists Teton
        text, cover, and envelopes, stocked locally...

        Matt Kelsey

        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 14, 2010
          My architect father (now long retired) used to rail against the MBA class ruining all that was worthwhile about American business decision making.

          No doubt the same crowd is determining whether these classic brands live or die.
          The ugly megacorporate consumption of small paper mills (and other manufacturers -- often by conglomerates with no historical interest in the industry they bought in to, let alone the brands) since the 1960s has littered the cultural landscape with the sucked dry corpses of once proud brands which had lasted decades or more, but weren't able to pull the margins that the bland "popular" brands could.

          Sadly, many decent paper options are just another casualty of this disgusting, and far from finished, economic disease.

          My two cents.
          Proud to be sick and tired of business as usual.
          Tax the corporate banking bastards back to the stone age, and build handmade paper mills for the unemployed to get back to work! $140 billion in bonuses indeed. Sick. Sick. Sick.

          Capitalism has clearly failed, except, somehow -- surprise, surprise -- for the filthy rich. (and amazing how their apologists conveniently ignore the total meltdown in 2008, now that the Dow Jones has risen miraculously from the crypt)

          Time for a new approach.

          Apologies for the meta-economic theory, I know we were just talking about paper

          Not 'commercial' paper.

          ;-)

          PF

          On 14 Jan 2010, at 11:39 PM, Matt Kelsey wrote:

          > Whiting Paper Co. has Brockway paper and envelopes available with deckled
          > edge. I haven't tried it yet and it isn't widely distributed as far as I
          > know, but it is available through paper-papers.com, and I have had good
          > response from them in the past for sample requests as well as for filling
          > orders quickly. Whiting is a small specialty paper mill, from what I have
          > read... perhaps they are more likely to support low volume products like
          > this. But it's a shame to see similar papers disappear when they were once
          > widely available. My Kelly Paper catalog from just last year lists Teton
          > text, cover, and envelopes, stocked locally...
          >
          > Matt Kelsey

          Peter Fraterdeus
          Exquisite Letterpress from Slow Print Studios
          http://slowprint.com/
        • bielerpr
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 14, 2010
            Hi

            Well, the problem isn't just this, it's also because we, as consumers continually fail to support the good products. Curtis Mills didn't fail because they were bought out by the corporates, they failed because we failed, we did not support their efforts to produce fine quality commercial papers. Just like the type foundries failed as we preferred to buy Monotype or Linotype because they were cheaper. How many continual posts does one have to look at on Briar Discussions to come to the realization that we letterpress folks are a hopeless lot. Folks would rather make their own pathetic bases than buy a precision Bunting or even a Boxcar base. DIY is King. Cheaper is better, cheapest is best. Folks seriously consider the plastic "Letterpress Machine" as an economically viable printing press. Why take the easy out and point the finger at the usual suspects? And somehow feel justified? We are responsible as well. And we deserve this.

            > My architect father (now long retired) used to rail against the MBA class ruining all that was worthwhile about American business decision making.
            >
            > No doubt the same crowd is determining whether these classic brands live or die.
            > The ugly megacorporate consumption of small paper mills (and other manufacturers -- often by conglomerates with no historical interest in the industry they bought in to, let alone the brands) since the 1960s has littered the cultural landscape with the sucked dry corpses of once proud brands which had lasted decades or more, but weren't able to pull the margins that the bland "popular" brands could.
            >
            > Sadly, many decent paper options are just another casualty of this disgusting, and far from finished, economic disease.
            >
            > My two cents.
            > Proud to be sick and tired of business as usual.
            > Tax the corporate banking bastards back to the stone age, and build handmade paper mills for the unemployed to get back to work! $140 billion in bonuses indeed. Sick. Sick. Sick.
            >
            > Capitalism has clearly failed, except, somehow -- surprise, surprise -- for the filthy rich. (and amazing how their apologists conveniently ignore the total meltdown in 2008, now that the Dow Jones has risen miraculously from the crypt)
            >
            > Time for a new approach.
            >
            > Apologies for the meta-economic theory, I know we were just talking about paper
            >
            > Not 'commercial' paper.
            >
            > ;-)
            >
            > PF
            >
            > On 14 Jan 2010, at 11:39 PM, Matt Kelsey wrote:
            >
            > > Whiting Paper Co. has Brockway paper and envelopes available with deckled
            > > edge. I haven't tried it yet and it isn't widely distributed as far as I
            > > know, but it is available through paper-papers.com, and I have had good
            > > response from them in the past for sample requests as well as for filling
            > > orders quickly. Whiting is a small specialty paper mill, from what I have
            > > read... perhaps they are more likely to support low volume products like
            > > this. But it's a shame to see similar papers disappear when they were once
            > > widely available. My Kelly Paper catalog from just last year lists Teton
            > > text, cover, and envelopes, stocked locally...
            > >
            > > Matt Kelsey
            >
            > Peter Fraterdeus
            > Exquisite Letterpress from Slow Print Studios
            > http://slowprint.com/

          • Ed Inman
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 15, 2010
              Strathmore Pastelle is currently available online at the Mohawk store, including the hard-to-find 100 lb. cover weight. Envelopes too.

              http://www.mohawkpaperstore.com/paper-product-lines

              Seems to be down only to the three white shades though.

              Hope it doesn't get discontinued. It seems far more popular than Teton ever was among commercial printers.
              Ed

                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 15, 2010
                  I think Gerald has a valid point here. In the same way we can support
                  the few foundries that are left, we need to support papermakers and
                  small suppliers out there or they'll go away. (Remember Aiko's in
                  Chicago?!) Try something besides Lettra...

                  Paper Studio carries a large variety of mouldmade sheets and Japanese
                  paper plus makes handmade paper from natural and recycled fibers (http://www.paperstudio.com/
                  )
                  Arch Paper uses recycled cotton clothing to make their paper (http://www.archpaper.net/servlet/StoreFront
                  )
                  Cave Paper (http://www.cavepaper.com/)
                  Twinrocker (http://www.twinrocker.com/)
                  Atlantic Paper (http://www.atlanticpapers.com/) imports mouldmade
                  papers from Germany, offers duplexed sheets, and a large variety of
                  envelopes.

                  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
                  Jessica Spring
                  http://www.springtidepress.com

                • digitalletterpress
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 15, 2010
                    Not sure where this information about Teton came from, but my supplier called the mill and they said that it was not being discontinued.

                    Bradley Hutchinson
                    letterpress.com
                    1906 Miriam
                    Austin, Texas 78722
                  • typetom@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 15, 2010
                      Apparently my occasional purchase of appropriate papers for my small
                      printing efforts has been adequate to absolve me from guilt or blame or despair!

                      Gerald's eloquent rant notwithstanding, I don't quite feel I deserve credit
                      or blame for the failures of capitalism. Monotype did not cause the
                      failure of ATF. The collapse of "real" type foundries came from within (read Theo
                      Rehak on ATF), as well as from changes in the market that were much larger
                      than the purchasing power of any of us. Using a home-made exposure box, or
                      various kinds of DIY bases, using cheaper methods to make letterpress
                      printing viable - pathetic? I make the best I can of what is possible. Surely
                      that's what those pathetic printers did who worked with wooden handpresses
                      and inkballs.

                      I'd rather pay tribute to Jim Rimmer, who invented his own ways to make
                      type and beautiful books, than lament that we are a hopeless lot.
                      Tom

                      Tom Parson/ Now It's Up To You/ Denver Back-alley Type
                      157 S Logan, Denver CO 80209
                      (303) 777-8951 - home & letterpress printshop
                      (720) 480-5358 - cranky cellphone
                      _typetom@..._ (mailto:typetom@...)
                      _www.froglok.com/typetom_ (http://www.froglok.com/typetom/) (way out of
                      date website!)

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 15, 2010
                        This 2007 blog offers a little information on Teton:
                        http://www.thepapermillstore.com/blog/2007/04/neenah-paper-announces-plans-for.html

                        One graph states as follows:
                        Neenah is contemplating how to position and how to move forward with; Crushed Leaf, Valley Forge, Parchment, Voice, EverGreen, Gainsborough and Teton. They state they will "extract the strengths moving forward" from these brands and position them appropriately.

                        What exactly that means I'm not sure. It doesn't say they are "discontinued," but neither did Neenah promise to "fully support" them as they did with some other former Fox River brands.

                        There is no longer any mention of or links to "Teton" as an active brand at neenahpaper.com. Nor is it any longer stocked by my local supplier.

                        If it is still being made I'd love to know who carries it at this point, in what weights/colors, and how it can be ordered.

                        thanks,
                        Ed

                        >Not sure where this information about Teton came from, but my supplier called the mill and they said that it was not being discontinued.
                        >Bradley Hutchinson
                        >letterpress.com
                        >1906 Miriam
                        >Austin, Texas 78722
                      • Eric
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 15, 2010
                          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "digitalletterpress" <bradley@...> wrote:

                          > Not sure where this information about Teton came from, but my supplier called the mill and they said that it was not being discontinued.

                          True, I have purchased Teton announcement envelopes and parent sheets of cover stock in the last month through Kelly Paper. But there is no _current_ mention of Teton on the Neenah company website and it is not listed among their line of papers. Or perhaps the information is hidden behind another impenatrable layer of javascript.
                          As for the Pastelle rumor, a customer ordered some Pastelle cover from a local paper distributor and was told that it was going to be discontinued in the future, and whether specifically true or not, it is part of the same dismal trend. At the last local paper house the discontinued printing papers have been replaced with digital paper. Even many of the letterhead sheets are going to "digital finish" which takes most of the texture away.
                          --Eric Holub, SF
                        • Gene Pawlowski
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 15, 2010
                            Lone Ranger: "Tonto, we're surrounded by Indians! It's looking Hopeless!"

                            Tonto: "What d'you mean 'WE' Kimosabe???

                            :-)