Re: Fox River Teton

  • sylvia chevrier
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 7, 2010
      Ed & Eric,

      Thanks very much for the suggestions. I will see if I can manage to
      get samples of these sheets.

      Sylvia

      >--- In
      ><mailto:PPLetterpress%40yahoogroups.com>PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com,
      >Ed Inman <edinman@...> wrote:
      >>

      >> Neenah Sundance (originally a Fox River brand) is a good economy
      >>paper available in felt finish.
      >
      >Ed, since you mentioned the discontinuation of Teton (one of my
      >favorite sheets) I did a little online research (though the
      >Mohawk/Strathmore pages are hard to load, *%$#! javascript!). There
      >are few other felt finish sheets left.
      >Strathmore Pastelle is still available, and like Teton has a deckle
      >edge, though a harder sheet on metal type. Mohawk has absorbed many
      >sheets from other mills, one of which is Feltweave, another deckled
      >sheet. Then there is Strathmore Grandee, which has many colors and
      >weights. But it is sad to see only four lines left in the once-rich
      >range of Strathmore printing papers.
      >--Eric Holub, SF

    • sylvia chevrier
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 7, 2010
        Ed & Eric,

        Thanks very much for the suggestions. I will see if I can manage to
        get samples of these sheets.

        Sylvia

        >--- In
        ><mailto:PPLetterpress%40yahoogroups.com>PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com,
        >Ed Inman <edinman@...> wrote:
        >>

        >> Neenah Sundance (originally a Fox River brand) is a good economy
        >>paper available in felt finish.
        >
        >Ed, since you mentioned the discontinuation of Teton (one of my
        >favorite sheets) I did a little online research (though the
        >Mohawk/Strathmore pages are hard to load, *%$#! javascript!). There
        >are few other felt finish sheets left.
        >Strathmore Pastelle is still available, and like Teton has a deckle
        >edge, though a harder sheet on metal type. Mohawk has absorbed many
        >sheets from other mills, one of which is Feltweave, another deckled
        >sheet. Then there is Strathmore Grandee, which has many colors and
        >weights. But it is sad to see only four lines left in the once-rich
        >range of Strathmore printing papers.
        >--Eric Holub, SF

      • Eric
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 14, 2010
          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <Megalonyx@...> wrote:

          > Strathmore Pastelle is still available, and like Teton has a deckle edge, though a harder sheet on metal type.

          Today I heard that Pastelle is also going to be discontinued at some point. Too bad, since it and Teton both had deckle edge announcement envelopes.
          --Eric Holub, SF
        • sylvia chevrier
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 14, 2010
            I've kept looking and have come up with a couple of other felt
            sheets-- Revere Felt, avail. from Legion Paper, and Odeon, from Reich
            Paper.

            >--- In
            ><mailto:PPLetterpress%40yahoogroups.com>PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com,
            >"Eric" <Megalonyx@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Strathmore Pastelle is still available, and like Teton has a
            >>deckle edge, though a harder sheet on metal type.
            >
            >Today I heard that Pastelle is also going to be discontinued at some
            >point. Too bad, since it and Teton both had deckle edge announcement
            >envelopes.
            >--Eric Holub, SF

          • Matt Kelsey
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 14, 2010
              Whiting Paper Co. has Brockway paper and envelopes available with deckled
              edge. I haven't tried it yet and it isn't widely distributed as far as I
              know, but it is available through paper-papers.com, and I have had good
              response from them in the past for sample requests as well as for filling
              orders quickly. Whiting is a small specialty paper mill, from what I have
              read... perhaps they are more likely to support low volume products like
              this. But it's a shame to see similar papers disappear when they were once
              widely available. My Kelly Paper catalog from just last year lists Teton
              text, cover, and envelopes, stocked locally...

              Matt Kelsey

              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 14, 2010
                My architect father (now long retired) used to rail against the MBA class ruining all that was worthwhile about American business decision making.

                No doubt the same crowd is determining whether these classic brands live or die.
                The ugly megacorporate consumption of small paper mills (and other manufacturers -- often by conglomerates with no historical interest in the industry they bought in to, let alone the brands) since the 1960s has littered the cultural landscape with the sucked dry corpses of once proud brands which had lasted decades or more, but weren't able to pull the margins that the bland "popular" brands could.

                Sadly, many decent paper options are just another casualty of this disgusting, and far from finished, economic disease.

                My two cents.
                Proud to be sick and tired of business as usual.
                Tax the corporate banking bastards back to the stone age, and build handmade paper mills for the unemployed to get back to work! $140 billion in bonuses indeed. Sick. Sick. Sick.

                Capitalism has clearly failed, except, somehow -- surprise, surprise -- for the filthy rich. (and amazing how their apologists conveniently ignore the total meltdown in 2008, now that the Dow Jones has risen miraculously from the crypt)

                Time for a new approach.

                Apologies for the meta-economic theory, I know we were just talking about paper

                Not 'commercial' paper.

                ;-)

                PF

                On 14 Jan 2010, at 11:39 PM, Matt Kelsey wrote:

                > Whiting Paper Co. has Brockway paper and envelopes available with deckled
                > edge. I haven't tried it yet and it isn't widely distributed as far as I
                > know, but it is available through paper-papers.com, and I have had good
                > response from them in the past for sample requests as well as for filling
                > orders quickly. Whiting is a small specialty paper mill, from what I have
                > read... perhaps they are more likely to support low volume products like
                > this. But it's a shame to see similar papers disappear when they were once
                > widely available. My Kelly Paper catalog from just last year lists Teton
                > text, cover, and envelopes, stocked locally...
                >
                > Matt Kelsey

                Peter Fraterdeus
                Exquisite Letterpress from Slow Print Studios
                http://slowprint.com/
              • bielerpr
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 14, 2010
                  Hi

                  Well, the problem isn't just this, it's also because we, as consumers continually fail to support the good products. Curtis Mills didn't fail because they were bought out by the corporates, they failed because we failed, we did not support their efforts to produce fine quality commercial papers. Just like the type foundries failed as we preferred to buy Monotype or Linotype because they were cheaper. How many continual posts does one have to look at on Briar Discussions to come to the realization that we letterpress folks are a hopeless lot. Folks would rather make their own pathetic bases than buy a precision Bunting or even a Boxcar base. DIY is King. Cheaper is better, cheapest is best. Folks seriously consider the plastic "Letterpress Machine" as an economically viable printing press. Why take the easy out and point the finger at the usual suspects? And somehow feel justified? We are responsible as well. And we deserve this.

                  > My architect father (now long retired) used to rail against the MBA class ruining all that was worthwhile about American business decision making.
                  >
                  > No doubt the same crowd is determining whether these classic brands live or die.
                  > The ugly megacorporate consumption of small paper mills (and other manufacturers -- often by conglomerates with no historical interest in the industry they bought in to, let alone the brands) since the 1960s has littered the cultural landscape with the sucked dry corpses of once proud brands which had lasted decades or more, but weren't able to pull the margins that the bland "popular" brands could.
                  >
                  > Sadly, many decent paper options are just another casualty of this disgusting, and far from finished, economic disease.
                  >
                  > My two cents.
                  > Proud to be sick and tired of business as usual.
                  > Tax the corporate banking bastards back to the stone age, and build handmade paper mills for the unemployed to get back to work! $140 billion in bonuses indeed. Sick. Sick. Sick.
                  >
                  > Capitalism has clearly failed, except, somehow -- surprise, surprise -- for the filthy rich. (and amazing how their apologists conveniently ignore the total meltdown in 2008, now that the Dow Jones has risen miraculously from the crypt)
                  >
                  > Time for a new approach.
                  >
                  > Apologies for the meta-economic theory, I know we were just talking about paper
                  >
                  > Not 'commercial' paper.
                  >
                  > ;-)
                  >
                  > PF
                  >
                  > On 14 Jan 2010, at 11:39 PM, Matt Kelsey wrote:
                  >
                  > > Whiting Paper Co. has Brockway paper and envelopes available with deckled
                  > > edge. I haven't tried it yet and it isn't widely distributed as far as I
                  > > know, but it is available through paper-papers.com, and I have had good
                  > > response from them in the past for sample requests as well as for filling
                  > > orders quickly. Whiting is a small specialty paper mill, from what I have
                  > > read... perhaps they are more likely to support low volume products like
                  > > this. But it's a shame to see similar papers disappear when they were once
                  > > widely available. My Kelly Paper catalog from just last year lists Teton
                  > > text, cover, and envelopes, stocked locally...
                  > >
                  > > Matt Kelsey
                  >
                  > Peter Fraterdeus
                  > Exquisite Letterpress from Slow Print Studios
                  > http://slowprint.com/

                • Ed Inman
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 15, 2010
                    Strathmore Pastelle is currently available online at the Mohawk store, including the hard-to-find 100 lb. cover weight. Envelopes too.

                    http://www.mohawkpaperstore.com/paper-product-lines

                    Seems to be down only to the three white shades though.

                    Hope it doesn't get discontinued. It seems far more popular than Teton ever was among commercial printers.
                    Ed

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 15, 2010
                        I think Gerald has a valid point here. In the same way we can support
                        the few foundries that are left, we need to support papermakers and
                        small suppliers out there or they'll go away. (Remember Aiko's in
                        Chicago?!) Try something besides Lettra...

                        Paper Studio carries a large variety of mouldmade sheets and Japanese
                        paper plus makes handmade paper from natural and recycled fibers (http://www.paperstudio.com/
                        )
                        Arch Paper uses recycled cotton clothing to make their paper (http://www.archpaper.net/servlet/StoreFront
                        )
                        Cave Paper (http://www.cavepaper.com/)
                        Twinrocker (http://www.twinrocker.com/)
                        Atlantic Paper (http://www.atlanticpapers.com/) imports mouldmade
                        papers from Germany, offers duplexed sheets, and a large variety of
                        envelopes.

                        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
                        Jessica Spring
                        http://www.springtidepress.com

                      • digitalletterpress
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 15, 2010
                          Not sure where this information about Teton came from, but my supplier called the mill and they said that it was not being discontinued.

                          Bradley Hutchinson
                          letterpress.com
                          1906 Miriam
                          Austin, Texas 78722
                        • typetom@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 15, 2010
                            Apparently my occasional purchase of appropriate papers for my small
                            printing efforts has been adequate to absolve me from guilt or blame or despair!

                            Gerald's eloquent rant notwithstanding, I don't quite feel I deserve credit
                            or blame for the failures of capitalism. Monotype did not cause the
                            failure of ATF. The collapse of "real" type foundries came from within (read Theo
                            Rehak on ATF), as well as from changes in the market that were much larger
                            than the purchasing power of any of us. Using a home-made exposure box, or
                            various kinds of DIY bases, using cheaper methods to make letterpress
                            printing viable - pathetic? I make the best I can of what is possible. Surely
                            that's what those pathetic printers did who worked with wooden handpresses
                            and inkballs.

                            I'd rather pay tribute to Jim Rimmer, who invented his own ways to make
                            type and beautiful books, than lament that we are a hopeless lot.
                            Tom

                            Tom Parson/ Now It's Up To You/ Denver Back-alley Type
                            157 S Logan, Denver CO 80209
                            (303) 777-8951 - home & letterpress printshop
                            (720) 480-5358 - cranky cellphone
                            _typetom@..._ (mailto:typetom@...)
                            _www.froglok.com/typetom_ (http://www.froglok.com/typetom/) (way out of
                            date website!)

                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 15, 2010
                              This 2007 blog offers a little information on Teton:
                              http://www.thepapermillstore.com/blog/2007/04/neenah-paper-announces-plans-for.html

                              One graph states as follows:
                              Neenah is contemplating how to position and how to move forward with; Crushed Leaf, Valley Forge, Parchment, Voice, EverGreen, Gainsborough and Teton. They state they will "extract the strengths moving forward" from these brands and position them appropriately.

                              What exactly that means I'm not sure. It doesn't say they are "discontinued," but neither did Neenah promise to "fully support" them as they did with some other former Fox River brands.

                              There is no longer any mention of or links to "Teton" as an active brand at neenahpaper.com. Nor is it any longer stocked by my local supplier.

                              If it is still being made I'd love to know who carries it at this point, in what weights/colors, and how it can be ordered.

                              thanks,
                              Ed

                              >Not sure where this information about Teton came from, but my supplier called the mill and they said that it was not being discontinued.
                              >Bradley Hutchinson
                              >letterpress.com
                              >1906 Miriam
                              >Austin, Texas 78722
                            • Eric
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 15, 2010
                                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "digitalletterpress" <bradley@...> wrote:

                                > Not sure where this information about Teton came from, but my supplier called the mill and they said that it was not being discontinued.

                                True, I have purchased Teton announcement envelopes and parent sheets of cover stock in the last month through Kelly Paper. But there is no _current_ mention of Teton on the Neenah company website and it is not listed among their line of papers. Or perhaps the information is hidden behind another impenatrable layer of javascript.
                                As for the Pastelle rumor, a customer ordered some Pastelle cover from a local paper distributor and was told that it was going to be discontinued in the future, and whether specifically true or not, it is part of the same dismal trend. At the last local paper house the discontinued printing papers have been replaced with digital paper. Even many of the letterhead sheets are going to "digital finish" which takes most of the texture away.
                                --Eric Holub, SF
                              • Gene Pawlowski
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 15, 2010
                                  Lone Ranger: "Tonto, we're surrounded by Indians! It's looking Hopeless!"

                                  Tonto: "What d'you mean 'WE' Kimosabe???

                                  :-)