Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Fox River Teton

  • Ed Inman
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 5, 2010
      Neenah Sundance (originally a Fox River brand) is a good economy paper available in felt finish.
      I have used it in the 100 and 110 lb. cover weights for a number of letterpress projects.
      At neenahpaper.com you can order just about any of their cover weight papers in 40-sheet (19" x 12.5") sample boxes for a $12.95 handling charge.
      That can be useful when a customer is wanting an odd paper color like lime green or whatever in small quantity.
      Ed

      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 6, 2010
        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Ed Inman <edinman@...> wrote:

        > Neenah Sundance (originally a Fox River brand) is a good economy paper available in felt finish.

        Ed, since you mentioned the discontinuation of Teton (one of my favorite sheets) I did a little online research (though the Mohawk/Strathmore pages are hard to load, *%$#! javascript!). There are few other felt finish sheets left.
        Strathmore Pastelle is still available, and like Teton has a deckle edge, though a harder sheet on metal type. Mohawk has absorbed many sheets from other mills, one of which is Feltweave, another deckled sheet. Then there is Strathmore Grandee, which has many colors and weights. But it is sad to see only four lines left in the once-rich range of Strathmore printing papers.
        --Eric Holub, SF
      • sylvia chevrier
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 7, 2010
          Ed & Eric,

          Thanks very much for the suggestions. I will see if I can manage to
          get samples of these sheets.

          Sylvia

          >--- In
          ><mailto:PPLetterpress%40yahoogroups.com>PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com,
          >Ed Inman <edinman@...> wrote:
          >>

          >> Neenah Sundance (originally a Fox River brand) is a good economy
          >>paper available in felt finish.
          >
          >Ed, since you mentioned the discontinuation of Teton (one of my
          >favorite sheets) I did a little online research (though the
          >Mohawk/Strathmore pages are hard to load, *%$#! javascript!). There
          >are few other felt finish sheets left.
          >Strathmore Pastelle is still available, and like Teton has a deckle
          >edge, though a harder sheet on metal type. Mohawk has absorbed many
          >sheets from other mills, one of which is Feltweave, another deckled
          >sheet. Then there is Strathmore Grandee, which has many colors and
          >weights. But it is sad to see only four lines left in the once-rich
          >range of Strathmore printing papers.
          >--Eric Holub, SF

        • sylvia chevrier
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 7, 2010
            Ed & Eric,

            Thanks very much for the suggestions. I will see if I can manage to
            get samples of these sheets.

            Sylvia

            >--- In
            ><mailto:PPLetterpress%40yahoogroups.com>PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com,
            >Ed Inman <edinman@...> wrote:
            >>

            >> Neenah Sundance (originally a Fox River brand) is a good economy
            >>paper available in felt finish.
            >
            >Ed, since you mentioned the discontinuation of Teton (one of my
            >favorite sheets) I did a little online research (though the
            >Mohawk/Strathmore pages are hard to load, *%$#! javascript!). There
            >are few other felt finish sheets left.
            >Strathmore Pastelle is still available, and like Teton has a deckle
            >edge, though a harder sheet on metal type. Mohawk has absorbed many
            >sheets from other mills, one of which is Feltweave, another deckled
            >sheet. Then there is Strathmore Grandee, which has many colors and
            >weights. But it is sad to see only four lines left in the once-rich
            >range of Strathmore printing papers.
            >--Eric Holub, SF

          • Eric
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 14, 2010
              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <Megalonyx@...> wrote:

              > Strathmore Pastelle is still available, and like Teton has a deckle edge, though a harder sheet on metal type.

              Today I heard that Pastelle is also going to be discontinued at some point. Too bad, since it and Teton both had deckle edge announcement envelopes.
              --Eric Holub, SF
            • sylvia chevrier
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 14, 2010
                I've kept looking and have come up with a couple of other felt
                sheets-- Revere Felt, avail. from Legion Paper, and Odeon, from Reich
                Paper.

                >--- In
                ><mailto:PPLetterpress%40yahoogroups.com>PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com,
                >"Eric" <Megalonyx@...> wrote:
                >
                >> Strathmore Pastelle is still available, and like Teton has a
                >>deckle edge, though a harder sheet on metal type.
                >
                >Today I heard that Pastelle is also going to be discontinued at some
                >point. Too bad, since it and Teton both had deckle edge announcement
                >envelopes.
                >--Eric Holub, SF

              • Matt Kelsey
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 14, 2010
                  Whiting Paper Co. has Brockway paper and envelopes available with deckled
                  edge. I haven't tried it yet and it isn't widely distributed as far as I
                  know, but it is available through paper-papers.com, and I have had good
                  response from them in the past for sample requests as well as for filling
                  orders quickly. Whiting is a small specialty paper mill, from what I have
                  read... perhaps they are more likely to support low volume products like
                  this. But it's a shame to see similar papers disappear when they were once
                  widely available. My Kelly Paper catalog from just last year lists Teton
                  text, cover, and envelopes, stocked locally...

                  Matt Kelsey

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 14, 2010
                    My architect father (now long retired) used to rail against the MBA class ruining all that was worthwhile about American business decision making.

                    No doubt the same crowd is determining whether these classic brands live or die.
                    The ugly megacorporate consumption of small paper mills (and other manufacturers -- often by conglomerates with no historical interest in the industry they bought in to, let alone the brands) since the 1960s has littered the cultural landscape with the sucked dry corpses of once proud brands which had lasted decades or more, but weren't able to pull the margins that the bland "popular" brands could.

                    Sadly, many decent paper options are just another casualty of this disgusting, and far from finished, economic disease.

                    My two cents.
                    Proud to be sick and tired of business as usual.
                    Tax the corporate banking bastards back to the stone age, and build handmade paper mills for the unemployed to get back to work! $140 billion in bonuses indeed. Sick. Sick. Sick.

                    Capitalism has clearly failed, except, somehow -- surprise, surprise -- for the filthy rich. (and amazing how their apologists conveniently ignore the total meltdown in 2008, now that the Dow Jones has risen miraculously from the crypt)

                    Time for a new approach.

                    Apologies for the meta-economic theory, I know we were just talking about paper

                    Not 'commercial' paper.

                    ;-)

                    PF

                    On 14 Jan 2010, at 11:39 PM, Matt Kelsey wrote:

                    > Whiting Paper Co. has Brockway paper and envelopes available with deckled
                    > edge. I haven't tried it yet and it isn't widely distributed as far as I
                    > know, but it is available through paper-papers.com, and I have had good
                    > response from them in the past for sample requests as well as for filling
                    > orders quickly. Whiting is a small specialty paper mill, from what I have
                    > read... perhaps they are more likely to support low volume products like
                    > this. But it's a shame to see similar papers disappear when they were once
                    > widely available. My Kelly Paper catalog from just last year lists Teton
                    > text, cover, and envelopes, stocked locally...
                    >
                    > Matt Kelsey

                    Peter Fraterdeus
                    Exquisite Letterpress from Slow Print Studios
                    http://slowprint.com/
                  • bielerpr
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 14, 2010
                      Hi

                      Well, the problem isn't just this, it's also because we, as consumers continually fail to support the good products. Curtis Mills didn't fail because they were bought out by the corporates, they failed because we failed, we did not support their efforts to produce fine quality commercial papers. Just like the type foundries failed as we preferred to buy Monotype or Linotype because they were cheaper. How many continual posts does one have to look at on Briar Discussions to come to the realization that we letterpress folks are a hopeless lot. Folks would rather make their own pathetic bases than buy a precision Bunting or even a Boxcar base. DIY is King. Cheaper is better, cheapest is best. Folks seriously consider the plastic "Letterpress Machine" as an economically viable printing press. Why take the easy out and point the finger at the usual suspects? And somehow feel justified? We are responsible as well. And we deserve this.

                      > My architect father (now long retired) used to rail against the MBA class ruining all that was worthwhile about American business decision making.
                      >
                      > No doubt the same crowd is determining whether these classic brands live or die.
                      > The ugly megacorporate consumption of small paper mills (and other manufacturers -- often by conglomerates with no historical interest in the industry they bought in to, let alone the brands) since the 1960s has littered the cultural landscape with the sucked dry corpses of once proud brands which had lasted decades or more, but weren't able to pull the margins that the bland "popular" brands could.
                      >
                      > Sadly, many decent paper options are just another casualty of this disgusting, and far from finished, economic disease.
                      >
                      > My two cents.
                      > Proud to be sick and tired of business as usual.
                      > Tax the corporate banking bastards back to the stone age, and build handmade paper mills for the unemployed to get back to work! $140 billion in bonuses indeed. Sick. Sick. Sick.
                      >
                      > Capitalism has clearly failed, except, somehow -- surprise, surprise -- for the filthy rich. (and amazing how their apologists conveniently ignore the total meltdown in 2008, now that the Dow Jones has risen miraculously from the crypt)
                      >
                      > Time for a new approach.
                      >
                      > Apologies for the meta-economic theory, I know we were just talking about paper
                      >
                      > Not 'commercial' paper.
                      >
                      > ;-)
                      >
                      > PF
                      >
                      > On 14 Jan 2010, at 11:39 PM, Matt Kelsey wrote:
                      >
                      > > Whiting Paper Co. has Brockway paper and envelopes available with deckled
                      > > edge. I haven't tried it yet and it isn't widely distributed as far as I
                      > > know, but it is available through paper-papers.com, and I have had good
                      > > response from them in the past for sample requests as well as for filling
                      > > orders quickly. Whiting is a small specialty paper mill, from what I have
                      > > read... perhaps they are more likely to support low volume products like
                      > > this. But it's a shame to see similar papers disappear when they were once
                      > > widely available. My Kelly Paper catalog from just last year lists Teton
                      > > text, cover, and envelopes, stocked locally...
                      > >
                      > > Matt Kelsey
                      >
                      > Peter Fraterdeus
                      > Exquisite Letterpress from Slow Print Studios
                      > http://slowprint.com/

                    • Ed Inman
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 15, 2010
                        Strathmore Pastelle is currently available online at the Mohawk store, including the hard-to-find 100 lb. cover weight. Envelopes too.

                        http://www.mohawkpaperstore.com/paper-product-lines

                        Seems to be down only to the three white shades though.

                        Hope it doesn't get discontinued. It seems far more popular than Teton ever was among commercial printers.
                        Ed

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 15, 2010
                            I think Gerald has a valid point here. In the same way we can support
                            the few foundries that are left, we need to support papermakers and
                            small suppliers out there or they'll go away. (Remember Aiko's in
                            Chicago?!) Try something besides Lettra...

                            Paper Studio carries a large variety of mouldmade sheets and Japanese
                            paper plus makes handmade paper from natural and recycled fibers (http://www.paperstudio.com/
                            )
                            Arch Paper uses recycled cotton clothing to make their paper (http://www.archpaper.net/servlet/StoreFront
                            )
                            Cave Paper (http://www.cavepaper.com/)
                            Twinrocker (http://www.twinrocker.com/)
                            Atlantic Paper (http://www.atlanticpapers.com/) imports mouldmade
                            papers from Germany, offers duplexed sheets, and a large variety of
                            envelopes.

                            . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
                            Jessica Spring
                            http://www.springtidepress.com

                          • digitalletterpress
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 15, 2010
                              Not sure where this information about Teton came from, but my supplier called the mill and they said that it was not being discontinued.

                              Bradley Hutchinson
                              letterpress.com
                              1906 Miriam
                              Austin, Texas 78722
                            • typetom@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 15, 2010
                                Apparently my occasional purchase of appropriate papers for my small
                                printing efforts has been adequate to absolve me from guilt or blame or despair!

                                Gerald's eloquent rant notwithstanding, I don't quite feel I deserve credit
                                or blame for the failures of capitalism. Monotype did not cause the
                                failure of ATF. The collapse of "real" type foundries came from within (read Theo
                                Rehak on ATF), as well as from changes in the market that were much larger
                                than the purchasing power of any of us. Using a home-made exposure box, or
                                various kinds of DIY bases, using cheaper methods to make letterpress
                                printing viable - pathetic? I make the best I can of what is possible. Surely
                                that's what those pathetic printers did who worked with wooden handpresses
                                and inkballs.

                                I'd rather pay tribute to Jim Rimmer, who invented his own ways to make
                                type and beautiful books, than lament that we are a hopeless lot.
                                Tom

                                Tom Parson/ Now It's Up To You/ Denver Back-alley Type
                                157 S Logan, Denver CO 80209
                                (303) 777-8951 - home & letterpress printshop
                                (720) 480-5358 - cranky cellphone
                                _typetom@..._ (mailto:typetom@...)
                                _www.froglok.com/typetom_ (http://www.froglok.com/typetom/) (way out of
                                date website!)

                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 15, 2010
                                  This 2007 blog offers a little information on Teton:
                                  http://www.thepapermillstore.com/blog/2007/04/neenah-paper-announces-plans-for.html

                                  One graph states as follows:
                                  Neenah is contemplating how to position and how to move forward with; Crushed Leaf, Valley Forge, Parchment, Voice, EverGreen, Gainsborough and Teton. They state they will "extract the strengths moving forward" from these brands and position them appropriately.

                                  What exactly that means I'm not sure. It doesn't say they are "discontinued," but neither did Neenah promise to "fully support" them as they did with some other former Fox River brands.

                                  There is no longer any mention of or links to "Teton" as an active brand at neenahpaper.com. Nor is it any longer stocked by my local supplier.

                                  If it is still being made I'd love to know who carries it at this point, in what weights/colors, and how it can be ordered.

                                  thanks,
                                  Ed

                                  >Not sure where this information about Teton came from, but my supplier called the mill and they said that it was not being discontinued.
                                  >Bradley Hutchinson
                                  >letterpress.com
                                  >1906 Miriam
                                  >Austin, Texas 78722
                                • Eric
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jan 15, 2010
                                    --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "digitalletterpress" <bradley@...> wrote:

                                    > Not sure where this information about Teton came from, but my supplier called the mill and they said that it was not being discontinued.

                                    True, I have purchased Teton announcement envelopes and parent sheets of cover stock in the last month through Kelly Paper. But there is no _current_ mention of Teton on the Neenah company website and it is not listed among their line of papers. Or perhaps the information is hidden behind another impenatrable layer of javascript.
                                    As for the Pastelle rumor, a customer ordered some Pastelle cover from a local paper distributor and was told that it was going to be discontinued in the future, and whether specifically true or not, it is part of the same dismal trend. At the last local paper house the discontinued printing papers have been replaced with digital paper. Even many of the letterhead sheets are going to "digital finish" which takes most of the texture away.
                                    --Eric Holub, SF
                                  • Gene Pawlowski
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jan 15, 2010
                                      Lone Ranger: "Tonto, we're surrounded by Indians! It's looking Hopeless!"

                                      Tonto: "What d'you mean 'WE' Kimosabe???

                                      :-)