Re: Letterpress papers

  • Barbara Hauser
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 18, 2009
      Hi again Mary-Ellen,

      I see that Elisabeth Long picked up on some of your other questions (her post is
      under the heading "Re: Digest No. 2404"). I wanted to draw attention to a couple
      more for you:

      Yes, there are other ways aside from polymer plates to print images letterpress.
      You can have copper or magnesium plates made, or you might be able to find
      vintage cuts that suit your design. You also can print from linoleum blocks,
      wood engravings -- really, just about anything you can get type-high (0.918
      inches) can be printed. Jens Hansen has printed from reglets and furniture (see
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/bogtrykkeren/3473458029/in/set-72157617903954110/);
      Kerri Cushman has printed her apron strings (see No. 14 on this page of the
      Vandercook centenary prints:
      http://vandercookpress.info/vanderblog/bundle-gallery/); and I seem to recall a
      discussion on Letpress about printing from unusual materials, such as leaves.

      As for combining letterpress and silkscreen, I can tell you that Arches 88, a
      paper designed for silkscreen, also works nicely for letterpress. It needs to be
      dampened, though -- but not very much! It's unsized and so absorbs water in a
      shocking way. It also has a very smooth surface that is somewhat undone by
      dampening. I don't know anything about silkscreen printing. I'm wondering if the
      paper can be dampened after the screen print is pulled -- anybody?

      I hope you'll keep us posted on your progress!

      Barbara

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "mellen" <camsoupy@...> wrote:

      > Any other recommendations for getting imagery in besides polymer plates?...
      Also interested in combining silkscreen and letterpress.