paper question

  • barb tetenbaum
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 15, 2009
      Hi all,
      Inge Bruggeman of Textura Letterpress has been experimenting with just this issue: how to print both digital and letterpress on the same sheet and maintain the quality. So I'd contact her for advice. Otherwise I'll weigh in on my new fave paper for letterpress: Strathmore Drawing! I suspect the company changed the formula for this relatively cheap paper and it happens to print beautifully! Maybe there's less sizing in it now...? It's got a nice weight, too. -Barb
    • bielerpr
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 15, 2009
        Hi Barb

        I recently printed on giclee, which is a high end ink jet process

        http://bielerpressv.blogspot.com/

        and it worked out very well. The giclee was very receptive, amazingly so. The initial experiments resulted in a very crisp rich black, with exacting detail and full coverage.

        The particulars of the piece linked to: printed damp on steel backed photopolymer plates on Somerset Vellum Photo Enhanced 505 gsm mouldmade paper. The paper itself likes a very sticky ink and a goodly impression. The ink was Graphic Chemical's Senefelders Litho Black, with transparent white as a base and a bit of a very old purple letterpress ink to enhance the background coloration of the giclee.

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, barb tetenbaum <btetenbaum@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        > Inge Bruggeman of Textura Letterpress has been experimenting with just this issue: how to print both digital and letterpress on the same sheet and maintain the quality. So I'd contact her for advice. Otherwise I'll weigh in on my new fave paper for letterpress: Strathmore Drawing! I suspect the company changed the formula for this relatively cheap paper and it happens to print beautifully! Maybe there's less sizing in it now...? It's got a nice weight, too. -Barb

      • TJ Strandberg
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 2, 2010
          Does anyone have a recommendation for a laser or ink jet printer that
          takes 110# and/or Crane's Lettra paper well?

          Thanks and Happy New Year!

          T. J. Strandberg

        • Barbara Hauser
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 2, 2010
            Hi T.J.,

            I have an Epson Stylus Photo R2400 that prints very thick stock. I've even printed on chipboard with it. It's been replaced by the R2880, so you might check that one out. With the R2400, you feed thick stock into the printer in such a way that it doesn't bend at all. Maybe the R2880 does the same thing.

            Keep us posted on what you find out,

            Barbara

            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, TJ Strandberg <tj@...> wrote:

            > Does anyone have a recommendation for a laser or ink jet printer that
            > takes 110# and/or Crane's Lettra paper well?
            >
            > Thanks and Happy New Year!
            >

            > T. J. Strandberg

          • The_Melzer
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 3, 2010
              T. J.,

              I have an Okidata C9800 that will... it will handle 12" x 18", and 12" by I believe 56" Doesn't introduce much curl at all. (Probably would be even less if I used the straight through paper path) The color is good, the registration is very consistent.

              Mel
            • Austin Jones
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 3, 2010
                I have an Epson R2400. It will certainly handle Lettra paper fine. I just
                purchased an HP B8550. I have not printed Lettra on it yet but it has a
                straight through option as well as the Epson and should be able to handle it
                fine.

                I think the issue is not can it handle it, but what sort of image are you
                wanting to print. Both of these printers are primarily Photo Printers.
                Lettra does not lend itself to printing photos very well. The HP is more
                suited to printing large amounts of black. The Epson has 8 separate ink
                cartridges. The HP has 5. HP printers all want to turn the paper 180
                degrees. I do not like this idea. Epson on some models do the same. Even for
                most standard paper handling some form of straight through is better in my
                mind. Both of these printers are 13x19 printers.

                As I said you should select a printer based on what you want to print. There
                are other printers from Epson, Canon, and HP which can print heavy stock for
                primarily black ink. But for Photo Printing, you cannot go wrong with Epson.
                They have the technology for photo printing down. HP is doing a good job of
                capturing the consumer photo printing market. Their printers are able to
                handle computerless photo printing quite well. Epson is more oriented to the
                professional.

                Austin Jones
                prints by AJ
                austin@...
                http://printsbyaj.com
                > Does anyone have a recommendation for a laser or ink jet printer that
                > takes 110# and/or Crane's Lettra paper well?
                >
                > Thanks and Happy New Year!
                >

                > T. J. Strandberg

              • Keetgi Kogan
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 4, 2010
                  I have a Canon Pixma Pro9000 which can easily accommodate 110# stock but
                  does not print well on cotton, the ink bleeds. Has anyone has success
                  printing on cotton with any of the other printers mentioned (Epson, Okidata,
                  HP)?

                  --Keetgi

                  ___

                  Keetgi Kogan

                  Monkey Business

                  477 Hillside Lane

                  Santa Monica, California 90402

                  310 454 7947

                  310 383 5972

                  keetgi.kogan@...

                  monkeybusinesspress.com

                • Bryan Hutcheson
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 4, 2010
                    We print on thick cotton papers using our Epson 2200. It has settings
                    for "Art papers". It's been a workhorse for us when we need to print
                    on cotton. Very little bleed, if an at all. And if it does bleed,
                    there are settings to correct the problem. It's a seven-cartridge
                    system so it prints with beautiful detail and color. Full set of
                    cartridges costs about $85.00