A Pressing Matter

  • rpolinski@nac.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 9, 2009
      While not strictly letterpress or PPL, my inquiry is print releated so
      hopefully not completely out of place since PPL can be used for intaglio.
      I'm looking for anything I can find on an M. M. Kelton
      intaglio/etching/copperplate/engraving press (choose your nomenclature), a
      photo of which can be seen as the last photo of my most recent blog post:
      http://frontroompress.blogspot.com

      I know presses this old (second half of the 19th century) rarely had
      manuals or instructions but catalog pages can be especially helpful as
      they usually give very full descriptions, specifications, and sometimes
      even basic operating info. Also, the date of the catalog can help. But
      anything relating to the press could be useful.

      Anyway, any info at all would be greatly appreciated. If anyone is
      currently using one of these presses I'd also like to hear from you.

      Thank you in advance!

      Rich

      --
      Richard Polinski
      Front Room Press
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 10, 2009
        I have that exact same press here, although yours appears to be in better
        condition. It's not in use but we have it in storage in case you need me to
        access to answer any questions. Apart from that, I don't have any additional
        information.

        Best of luck!
        Harold

        On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 9:02 AM, <rpolinski@...> wrote:

        > While not strictly letterpress or PPL, my inquiry is print releated so
        > hopefully not completely out of place since PPL can be used for intaglio.
        > I'm looking for anything I can find on an M. M. Kelton
        > intaglio/etching/copperplate/engraving press (choose your nomenclature), a
        > photo of which can be seen as the last photo of my most recent blog post:
        > http://frontroompress.blogspot.com
        >
        > I know presses this old (second half of the 19th century) rarely had
        > manuals or instructions but catalog pages can be especially helpful as
        > they usually give very full descriptions, specifications, and sometimes
        > even basic operating info. Also, the date of the catalog can help. But
        > anything relating to the press could be useful.
        >
        > Anyway, any info at all would be greatly appreciated. If anyone is
        > currently using one of these presses I'd also like to hear from you.
        >
        > Thank you in advance!
        >
        > Rich
        >
        > --
        > Richard Polinski
        > Front Room Press
        > Milford, NJ
        > http://frontroompress.com
        > http://frontroompress.blogspot.com

        --
        ---
        Boxcar Press

      • R.Ternbach
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 10, 2009
          Hi,

          I'm a fan, not a practitioner, of letterpress (i have an intaglio press
          and a letterpress proof press myself) but I have some information to
          share. I have visited and gotten to know John Barrett at
          http://www.letterpressthings.com/ and he is an expert on vintage presses.
          He may even have one, or has restored one, like yours. He is also
          associated with The Museum of Printing in Andover, Mass:
          http://www.museumofprinting.org/ John has a great reputation and always
          seems happy to share info and may even have parts for your press. He's a
          great resource and I highly recommend him to everyone interested in
          letterpress.

          Best,

          Rudy