REmoving handle from SP20

  • DanA
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 3, 2009
      I am mechanically challenged but need to remove the handle from my Sp20 for moving through a narrow doorway. I have been told by my movers (nonprinters) that all you do is take out the screws and remove the handle, then put them back on. Is there more to it than that or is it truly just on and off, no muss no fuss?
      Just don't want to do anything before hearing from someone who knows.
      Thanks
    • Fritz Klinke
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 3, 2009
        It's one set screw and a taper pin. The taper pin may need a tap (on the smaller end!!) to dislodge it and then it should fall out of the hole. The handle casting may be very tight to the cylinder stub, but a gentle working back and forth will generally be all it needs to back it off from the cylinder. It is always a better than good idea to remove the handle when moving a Vandercook as there are no replacement handles if one breaks, and shearing off the handle stub on the cylinder casting is almost a death sentence for a press, though even that can be repaired, but at considerable effort.

        Fritz

        I am mechanically challenged but need to remove the handle from my Sp20 for moving through a narrow doorway. I have been told by my movers (nonprinters) that all you do is take out the screws and remove the handle, then put them back on. Is there more to it than that or is it truly just on and off, no muss no fuss?
        Just don't want to do anything before hearing from someone who knows.
        Thanks

      • Eric
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 3, 2009
          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "DanA" <deallen05@...> wrote:

          > I am mechanically challenged but need to remove the handle from my Sp20 for moving through a narrow doorway. I have been told by my movers (nonprinters) that all you do is take out the screws and remove the handle, then put them back on. Is there more to it than that or is it truly just on and off, no muss no fuss?

          Most Vandercooks have a setscrew and a taper pin holding the handle in correct alignment. The taper pin must be driven out from the narrow end. Get the largest pin punch that will fit the narrow end, and a heavy hammer, and it should drive out with ease. If you take a small pin punch and a small hammer, you may just deform the end and make it tighter. And do not try to drive it out from the larger end. That will turn a simple thing into a disaster.
          --Eric Holub, SF