Re:Deep-relief Plates Too Soft?

  • David Goodrich
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 30, 2009
      Jonathan,
      If you are using roller bearers and are getting ink on the back of your
      plate, you are using way too much ink. Consistent inking is the hardest
      part of handpress work. Because the printing is so slow, ink has a tendency
      to dry and needs frequent but minimal refreshing. Rummonds has a system for
      creating a fountain on the back of his ink plate but it hasn't really worked
      for me. You will learn how often to refresh the ink from experience. (If
      you don't find yourself needing to refresh, you're probably starting with
      too much.) Watch your output carefully to keep it consistent.
      David

    • bielerpr
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 2, 2009
        Jonathan

        David's advice should be well received. I would also suggest, going back to your original post, that you rethink your decision to buy a new base. First of all, you are assuming you can trust the printed grid and that the translucency of a polyester-backed plate will absolve some measuring problems. This is not so. I have measured grids on non-magnetic bases so provided and they are not necessary accurate. You still need to rely on your line gauge. There is no easy button.

        Secondly, the major problem of the Patmag, that of plate travel, is not likely encountered on a handpress. An advantage of the Patmag, which is rarely acknowledged, is its ability to provide impression without reverse distortion, dependent upon the substrate. The shock is absorbed by the magnetic rubber overlay of the base. A useful attribute in bookwork.

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "David Goodrich" <davidgoodrich@...> wrote:

        > Jonathan,
        > If you are using roller bearers and are getting ink on the back of your
        > plate, you are using way too much ink. Consistent inking is the hardest
        > part of handpress work. Because the printing is so slow, ink has a tendency
        > to dry and needs frequent but minimal refreshing. Rummonds has a system for
        > creating a fountain on the back of his ink plate but it hasn't really worked
        > for me. You will learn how often to refresh the ink from experience. (If
        > you don't find yourself needing to refresh, you're probably starting with
        > too much.) Watch your output carefully to keep it consistent.
        > David

      • jonagold1
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 2, 2009
          Thanks for all of your advice. I'm going to have a couple of metal-backed plates from my book made and give them a try on my PatMag bases to see if I can come up with a good solution for registering and printing two or more colors in a single press run. (If I didn't say this before, my thinking about switching to an acrylic-backed plate and related base is aimed at trying to print more than one color in a single run, to avoid having the dampened paper change size on me between press runs.)

          Jonathan