Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Gilding paper edges

  • Jack Reisland
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 18, 2009
      Not all YouTube videos have sound. It may be that they didn't bother
      to upload sound on this one. By the way, if you are gilding the edges
      of thick paper, you can skip the step of fanning and then beveling the
      edges of the paper if you wish.

      Best Regards, Jack Reisland

      On Nov 18, 2009, at 5:12 AM, Scott Rubel wrote:

      > Does the sound work on yours? It doesn't work for me, even though it
      > seems to work on all other YouTube videos. --Scott
      >
      > okintertype wrote:
      > > Very interesting. What is the first step she is doing with what
      > looks like a bone folder? What kind of ink do they use? How thin?
      > How do they keep the pages from sticking together?
      > >
      > > Stan
      > >
      > > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Scott Rubel <scott@...> wrote:
      > >
      > >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bClJvo4jro&feature=related
      > >>
      > >> Here is one video on coloring edges. I can't get the sound to
      > work on
      > >> it, but I saw this process demonstrated at Vroman's Book Store in
      > >> Pasadena once, and this video looks just like what I saw.

      > of gilding the edges of thick, 600 grm. paper or something similar?
      > I have a client that would like this for the edges of their business
      > cards and am even wondering if it can be done. I have experience
      > with painting the edges with metallic paint, but not actual gilding.
      > Any help or advice would be appreciated!

    • Bethany Carter
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 15, 2009
        Hello,

        Does anyone know where to purchase California Wash on the East coast? Maybe even Southeast? I'm having trouble finding it and am tired of paying West coast shipping charges all the way to Savannah.

        Also, would any printers out there be willing to sell me some medium weight coaster paper? I have a client that wants coasters printed and I have no need of 200 sheets which is the smallest amount I can purchase it in. I would probably need 30 sheets. Please let me know off list if anyone is interested. Happy Tuesday everyone!

        Thank you!!!

        Bethany

      • Scott Rubel
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 15, 2009
          Try Keldon Paper. I believe they will break packages and sell less
          sheets. I'm not sure what you want for coaster paper. They have samples
          printed on round coasters made of 220# Crane Lettra.

          http://www.keldonpaper.com

          --Scott

          Bethany Carter wrote:
          > Hello,
          >
          > Does anyone know where to purchase California Wash on the East coast? Maybe even Southeast? I'm having trouble finding it and am tired of paying West coast shipping charges all the way to Savannah.
          >
          > Also, would any printers out there be willing to sell me some medium weight coaster paper? I have a client that wants coasters printed and I have no need of 200 sheets which is the smallest amount I can purchase it in. I would probably need 30 sheets. Please let me know off list if anyone is interested. Happy Tuesday everyone!
          >
          > Thank you!!!
          >
          > Bethany
        • Bryan Hutcheson
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 15, 2009
            Bethany

            we sell blank coasters pre-cut to 4" round, 4" square w/ round
            corners and 3.5" circles. We offer them in our 140# Holyoke Premium
            Cotton and .080 Standard Coaster board

            bryan hutcheson
            - manifesto letterpress
            - industrie standard
            - holyoke fine papers

            4 open square way, L101
            holyoke, ma 01040
            p:413.532.3360
            f:413.532.3387
            www.manifestopress.com
            _________________________________
            full-service commercial letterpress
            announcements
            stationery
            packaging
            posters

          • Bethany Carter
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 15, 2009
              "Try Keldon Paper. I believe they will break packages and sell less
              sheets. I'm not sure what you want for coaster paper. They have samples
              printed on round coasters made of 220# Crane Lettra."

              Hmmm.....maybe I'm missing something but I thought you had to get special paper for use as coasters. Please correct me if I'm wrong because I already use 220# Lettra for invitations and have access to that......

              Thank you!!!

              Bethany

              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 15, 2009
                What is the cost per M, please.

                Thanks,

                Speed Gray
                Grand Rapids, MI

                In a message dated 12/15/2009 12:06:26 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                bryan@... writes:

                Bethany

                we sell blank coasters pre-cut to 4" round, 4" square w/ round
                corners and 3.5" circles. We offer them in our 140# Holyoke Premium
                Cotton and .080 Standard Coaster board

                bryan hutcheson
                - manifesto letterpress
                - industrie standard
                - holyoke fine papers

                4 open square way, L101
                holyoke, ma 01040
                p:413.532.3360
                f:413.532.3387
                www.manifestopress.www

              • Scott Rubel
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 15, 2009
                  I doubt that that Crane Lettra is the very best coaster paper, at
                  least not if they're to be used as coasters that are to be used
                  again. However, when I walked into their office they offered free
                  samples of that very paper die-cut round with their information
                  letterpress printed on the circles.

                  On Dec 15, 2009, at 1:54 PM, Bethany Carter wrote:

                  > "Try Keldon Paper. I believe they will break packages and sell less
                  > sheets. I'm not sure what you want for coaster paper. They have
                  > samples
                  > printed on round coasters made of 220# Crane Lettra."
                  >

                  > Hmmm.....maybe I'm missing something but I thought you had to get
                  > special paper for use as coasters. Please correct me if I'm wrong
                  > because I already use 220# Lettra for invitations and have access
                  > to that......
                  >

                  > Thank you!!!
                  >

                  > Bethany

                • heavyimprint
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 15, 2009
                    Is it possible to do a full edge bleed on a coaster on the windmill?? My guess is no obviously because of the gripper bar.

                    --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, speedgray@... wrote:

                    > What is the cost per M, please.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    >
                    > Speed Gray
                    > Grand Rapids, MI
                    >

                    > In a message dated 12/15/2009 12:06:26 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                    > bryan@... writes:
                    >

                    > Bethany
                    >
                    > we sell blank coasters pre-cut to 4" round, 4" square w/ round
                    > corners and 3.5" circles. We offer them in our 140# Holyoke Premium
                    > Cotton and .080 Standard Coaster board
                    >
                    > bryan hutcheson
                    > - manifesto letterpress
                    > - industrie standard
                    > - holyoke fine papers
                    >
                    > 4 open square way, L101
                    > holyoke, ma 01040
                    > p:413.532.3360
                    > f:413.532.3387
                    > www.manifestopress.www

                  • Leora West Mauck
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 15, 2009
                      We like the coasters from American Coaster. They offer several weights of coaster board, of which we use the heaviest, the stock is 100% recycled, and the price is right!

                      Leora Mauck

                      ________________________________
                      I doubt that that Crane Lettra is the very best coaster paper, at
                      least not if they're to be used as coasters that are to be used
                      again. However, when I walked into their office they offered free
                      samples of that very paper die-cut round with their information
                      letterpress printed on the circles.

                      On Dec 15, 2009, at 1:54 PM, Bethany Carter wrote:

                      > "Try Keldon Paper. I believe they will break packages and sell less
                      > sheets. I'm not sure what you want for coaster paper. They have
                      > samples
                      > printed on round coasters made of 220# Crane Lettra."
                      >

                      > Hmmm.....maybe I'm missing something but I thought you had to get
                      > special paper for use as coasters. Please correct me if I'm wrong
                      > because I already use 220# Lettra for invitations and have access
                      > to that......
                      >

                      > Thank you!!!
                      >

                      > Bethany

                      > http://clk.atdmt com/GBL/go/ 171222984/ direct/01/

                    • Clay Oliff
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 15, 2009
                        Hi Bethany,

                        Where on the East coast are you exactly. I would recommend PRISCO (Printers Service Company) I can provide local reps name if I know your town.

                        Clay Oliff
                        cell: 304-839-9128
                        office/fax: 304-874-3260
                        em: clayoliff@...