Re: [PPLetterpress] Dismantling a Windmill for moving

  • Steve Robison
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 4, 2009
      To would be press movers...

      I can't resist jumping in here with yet another absurd mover's thought...

      Some years back, we were on vacation and it rained buckets while we were gone. Our basement flooded because the sump pump we had down there decided to quit. Murphy's law always works overtime when you're gone on vacation. Anyway, when we got back home we had a fairly good sized swimming pool under the house and stuff floating around everywhere down there.

      So my thought is this:

      As opposed to spending $8,000 to move the windmill, just hire some folks to move everything but the Heidi out of the basement. Then attach flotation devices to the windmill and fill the basement with water until you can float the press out!

      Let's see....

      $250 for labor to move everything out of the basement
      $450 for some really effective flotation tanks to attach to the press
      $500 water bill to fill up the basement
      $150 for a pump to pump out all the water after you get the press out
      $150 fan rental to air out the basement afterward
      $250 for labor to move everything else back in to the basement
      $250 for all the misc. stuff I forgot you'll need
      = $2,000 TOTAL

      See, with a little ingenuity you could save $6000 on the move, and if you invite the local TV news crews over, you could even see yourself on the 6 o'clock news that night, not to mention a YouTube video or two on the web, and maybe ask for donations to offset the costs sent to your offshore account.

      It's kind of like a story my Dad used to tell about a farmer who was having a problem getting his truck full of chicken's up a steep grade. So the farmer stopped the truck and sent his son to the back of the truck with a stick, instructing his son to wave the stick around wildly. The farmer then gunned the engine, and while his son waved the stick, half of the chickens were kept flying around, and the truck made it up and over the grade without a problem.

      Sometimes thinking out of the box (or in this case, "out of the basement") might make the impossible possible!

      By the way, I too have moved my share of heavy printing equipment over the years, both for myself and many others. I tend to shy away from moving anything larger than a 10x15 C&P, and have been quite comfortable watching (and sometimes advising) professional movers move the rest.

      Best wishes,

      --Steve

      Steve Robison
      The Robison Press
      Belmont, CA - about 25 miles south of San Francisco
      robisonsteve@...

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Steve Robison
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 4, 2009
        By the way, when it's larger than a 10 x 15, I call the Hicks Brothers!

        --Steve

        Steve Robison
        robisonsteve@...

        > I can't resist jumping in here with yet another absurd
        > mover's thought...
        >
        > Some years back, we were on vacation and it rained buckets
        > while we were gone. Our basement flooded because the sump
        > pump we had down there decided to quit. Murphy's law always
        > works overtime when you're gone on vacation. Anyway, when we
        > got back home we had a fairly good sized swimming pool under
        > the house and stuff floating around everywhere down there.
        >
        > So my thought is this:
        >
        > As opposed to spending $8,000 to move the windmill, just
        > hire some folks to move everything but the Heidi out of the
        > basement. Then attach flotation devices to the windmill and
        > fill the basement with water until you can float the press
        > out!
        >
        > Let's see....
        >
        >     $250 for labor to move everything out of the
        > basement
        >     $450 for some really effective flotation
        > tanks to attach to the press
        >     $500 water bill to fill up the basement
        >     $150 for a pump to pump out all the water
        > after you get the press out
        >     $150 fan rental to air out the basement
        > afterward
        >     $250 for labor to move everything else back
        > in to the basement
        >     $250 for all the misc. stuff I forgot you'll
        > need
        > = $2,000 TOTAL
        >
        > See, with a little ingenuity you could save $6000 on the
        > move, and if you invite the local TV news crews over, you
        > could even see yourself on the 6 o'clock news that night,
        > not to mention a YouTube video or two on the web, and maybe
        > ask for donations to offset the costs sent to your offshore
        > account.
        >
        > It's kind of like a story my Dad used to tell about a
        > farmer who was having a problem getting his truck full of
        > chicken's up a steep grade. So the farmer stopped the truck
        > and sent his son to the back of the truck with a stick,
        > instructing his son to wave the stick around wildly. The
        > farmer then gunned the engine, and while his son waved the
        > stick, half of the chickens were kept flying around, and the
        > truck made it up and over the grade without a problem.
        >
        > Sometimes thinking out of the box (or in this case, "out of
        > the basement") might make the impossible possible!
        >
        > By the way, I too have moved my share of heavy printing
        > equipment over the years, both for myself and many others. I
        > tend to shy away from moving anything larger than a 10x15
        > C&P, and have been quite comfortable watching (and
        > sometimes advising) professional movers move the rest.
        >
        > Best wishes,
        >
        > --Steve
        >
        > Steve Robison
        > The Robison Press
        > Belmont, CA - about 25 miles south of San Francisco
        > robisonsteve@...

        > protection around
        > http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Visualpropaganda
        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 5, 2009
          Hello all,

          I just moved a windmill about two months ago. It was already
          dismantled. The table (with paper feed etc.) was on a different pallet
          than the base. I just hired a truck and was able to put it on the
          truck with help from the people from whom I bought it. I tried
          unloading it with the help of my father and nearly killed myself. No
          kidding! It's not fun when 1 ton of heavy german steal on a pallet-
          jack is pushing you from the truck ramp. I was lucky enough that one
          of the pallet-jack wheels got caught somewhere on the ramp and stopped
          the whole pallet-jack + windmill base to go further. If this didn't
          happen, I definitely couldn't write you these few lines.
          I managed to get the base from the truck anyway, but soon after it
          fell over onto the street. Unfortunately onto the impression throw-
          off lever, which got bend below the weight of the base. I couldn't get
          the base up again and from the street. So I had to call a heavy
          machinery moving company who picked it up with a forklift and put it
          in my garage. So I head to pay someone anyway. If I had hired them
          from the start to unload the windmill, it probably wouldn't be damaged
          (which I was able to fix by now) and I wouldn't have risked my life.
          I know letterpress is a passion, but one to die for or even worse get
          crippled for? I've learned from that, that I will never move the
          windmill or a windmill on my own again.

          Just another note about dismantling the windmill. I've found a retired
          german heidelberg service technician, who helped me repair my windmill
          and will help me to restore it. He said dismantling the table and
          other pieces like the engine and the air pump doesn't really hurt the
          windmill. It will all fit together again nicely. The advantage is,
          that you will have the chance to give the windmill a good clean up
          while dismantled.

          Hope this helps
          Mirko

          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 5, 2009
            A cautionary tale indeed.

            Don't use a pallet jack on a ramp.

            Bad idea.

            Glad to hear you and the press survived.
            Also glad to hear you've got a German tech nearby. Great resource!!

            Anybody know of a Windmill service tech in the Upper Midwest?

            PF

            On 5 Nov 2009, at 4:37 AM, Visualpropaganda wrote:

            > Hello all,
            >
            > I just moved a windmill about two months ago. It was already
            > dismantled. The table (with paper feed etc.) was on a different pallet
            > than the base. I just hired a truck and was able to put it on the
            > truck with help from the people from whom I bought it. I tried
            > unloading it with the help of my father and nearly killed myself. No
            > I know letterpress is a passion, but one to die for or even worse get
            > crippled for? I've learned from that, that I will never move the
            > windmill or a windmill on my own again.
            >
            > Just another note about dismantling the windmill. I've found a retired
            > german heidelberg service technician, who helped me repair my windmill
            > and will help me to restore it. He said dismantling the table and
            > other pieces like the engine and the air pump doesn't really hurt the
            > windmill. It will all fit together again nicely. The advantage is,
            > that you will have the chance to give the windmill a good clean up
            > while dismantled.
            >
            > Hope this helps
            > Mirko

            Peter Fraterdeus
            Exquisite Letterpress from Slow Print Studios
            http://slowprint.com/
          • Joanna Brinckerhoff
            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 5, 2009
              Peter,

              I don't know if he is still in the business, but I worked with a man named
              John Guteck who was a Heidelberg technician. He installed the Windmill that
              you purchased from me, taught me how to use it, and serviced it for me every
              year.

              He was located outside of Chicago and the contact numbers I have for him are
              847-550-1617 (business) and 847-804-1617 (cell). It's been a while since I
              last called him, but maybe he is still around.

              Hope all is well with you.

              Thanks,

              Joanna

              Joanna Brinckerhoff

              Joie Designs, Ltd.

              123 West Hickory Street

              Hinsdale, Illinois 60521

              Tel: 312.543.9582

              Fax: 630.920.3102

              Email: joanna@...

              _____

              Glad to hear you and the press survived.
              Also glad to hear you've got a German tech nearby. Great resource!!

              Anybody know of a Windmill service tech in the Upper Midwest?

              PF

              On 5 Nov 2009, at 4:37 AM, Visualpropaganda wrote:

              > Hello all,
              >
              > I just moved a windmill about two months ago. It was already
              > dismantled. The table (with paper feed etc.) was on a different pallet
              > than the base. I just hired a truck and was able to put it on the
              > truck with help from the people from whom I bought it. I tried
              > unloading it with the help of my father and nearly killed myself. No
              > I know letterpress is a passion, but one to die for or even worse get
              > crippled for? I've learned from that, that I will never move the
              > windmill or a windmill on my own again.
              >
              > Just another note about dismantling the windmill. I've found a retired
              > german heidelberg service technician, who helped me repair my windmill
              > and will help me to restore it. He said dismantling the table and
              > other pieces like the engine and the air pump doesn't really hurt the
              > windmill. It will all fit together again nicely. The advantage is,
              > that you will have the chance to give the windmill a good clean up
              > while dismantled.
              >
              > Hope this helps
              > Mirko

              Peter Fraterdeus
              Exquisite Letterpress from Slow Print Studios
              http://slowprint. <http://slowprint.com/> com/

            • Eric
              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 5, 2009

                > Don't use a pallet jack on a ramp.

                I'd say instead, never use a ramp without control of the object (by winch, comealong, ropes, helpers with prybars and/or wedges for brakes; there are many possibilites) and never stand downramp of a heavy moveable object. A jack could be used with those conditions.
                And yes, I did learn that the hard way.
                --Eric Holub, SF