Re: [PPLetterpress] No presses in the basement, please

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 4, 2009
      My dear brother Iowan Tim Fay in Anamosa (http://wapsi-almanac.com *)
      told me the saddest press story I've ever heard about a couple of fine
      old presses entombed in concrete in the foundation of a building.
      Rather than move the things out, they just filled in the whole
      basement and built a new building on top of it. This was out in the
      Iowa boonies somewhere. I guess it would have just cost way more to
      get them out than they were worth in 'scrap'.

      Sheesh.

      A good project for 22nd C archeology grad students, I suppose.

      * Tim's in the midst of printing his next edition of possibly the last
      all linotype & web letterpress journal around...
      Hope I'm not divulging top secret info... Guess I'll hear about it if
      I am ;-)

      On 4 Nov 2009, at 3:51 PM, Harold Kyle wrote:

      > Good point. Underground Lit will now become Ground Level Concrete
      > Slab Lit.
      > Seriously, if you care about preserving the craft, don't put your
      > press
      > below ground without a way to get it out. Or build a wall around the
      > press
      > after you move it in. I've had to move presses in these
      > circumstances and I
      > really don't want to do it again!
      >
      > Harold

      Peter Fraterdeus
      Exquisite Letterpress from Slow Print Studios
      http://slowprint.com/