Re: [PPLetterpress] No presses in the basement, please

  • Harold Kyle
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 4, 2009
      Good point. Underground Lit will now become Ground Level Concrete Slab Lit.
      Seriously, if you care about preserving the craft, don't put your press
      below ground without a way to get it out. Or build a wall around the press
      after you move it in. I've had to move presses in these circumstances and I
      really don't want to do it again!

      Harold

      --
      ---
      Boxcar Press

      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 4, 2009
        My dear brother Iowan Tim Fay in Anamosa (http://wapsi-almanac.com *)
        told me the saddest press story I've ever heard about a couple of fine
        old presses entombed in concrete in the foundation of a building.
        Rather than move the things out, they just filled in the whole
        basement and built a new building on top of it. This was out in the
        Iowa boonies somewhere. I guess it would have just cost way more to
        get them out than they were worth in 'scrap'.

        Sheesh.

        A good project for 22nd C archeology grad students, I suppose.

        * Tim's in the midst of printing his next edition of possibly the last
        all linotype & web letterpress journal around...
        Hope I'm not divulging top secret info... Guess I'll hear about it if
        I am ;-)