Dismantling a Windmill for moving

  • Arthur
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 4, 2009
      Anyone have any thoughts on how to dismantle a 10x15 Windmill?

      Can a person carry the parts that are dismantled? for example- the table on the right and the circular fly wheel?

      Why do people put these in basements???????????????????

      The cost of moving is very prohibitive.
      What is the scrap value on this machine if a scrap yard were to come and buy it?

      Does anyone have a used foil attachment for one?

      Thanks
      Steve
    • Ion Gorun
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 4, 2009
        We recently got a Windmill - and now we have to transport it into our new
        location. It will cost us almost 20% of what we paid for it, as we need to
        have a special truck. We asked whether it can be brought into pieces - and
        the reply was: absolutely no. Because, being a machine from the 60's, once
        you dismantle it, no one can guarantee you that the parts will fit exactly
        in place, after taking their respective shape from working more than 40
        years in the same relative positions. Without knowing too much mechanics, I
        tend to agree with the our seller.

        Best regards,
        Ion

        www.moaradehartie.ro

        2009/11/4 Arthur <steinsteve@...>

        > Anyone have any thoughts on how to dismantle a 10x15 Windmill?
        >
        > Can a person carry the parts that are dismantled? for example- the table on
        > the right and the circular fly wheel?
        >
        > Why do people put these in basements???????????????????
        >
        > The cost of moving is very prohibitive.
        > What is the scrap value on this machine if a scrap yard were to come and
        > buy it?
        >
        > Does anyone have a used foil attachment for one?
        >
        > Thanks
        > Steve

      • Harold Kyle
        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 4, 2009
          The best you can do is remove the flywheel, which will then allow you to
          remove the "table" on the front which holds the paper feed and delivery
          sections. These parts are not exactly easy to remove but they are possible.
          You're still left with two very heavy castings which are not suitable for
          carrying. I can describe the process required for this if you'd like, and it
          should print fine afterwards because everything's pinned in place.
          Incidentally, I support a constitutional amendment to prohibit presses from
          basements.

          Hope this helps,
          Harold

          --
          ---
          Boxcar Press

          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 4, 2009
            It does not sound like something I would want to do, that's for sure.

            It is possible to pay an exorbitant amount to get the things moved,
            that's for sure.
            I paid Mr Regan about $2K to move a 10x15 windmill from Chicago to
            Dubuque, about 160 miles.

            And then I paid a local carrier $500 to move another Windmill PLUS a
            Mielhe V-36 from Minneapolis (more or less) to Dubuque.

            Of course, then I had to get it off the truck myself ;-)
            There are advantages to being in a warehouse!

            Would not like to move one out of a basement, that's for damned sure.

            AFAIK scrap is not what it was a couple of years ago...

            good luck!

            PF

            On 4 Nov 2009, at 2:27 PM, Arthur wrote:

            > Anyone have any thoughts on how to dismantle a 10x15 Windmill?
            >
            > Can a person carry the parts that are dismantled? for example- the
            > table on the right and the circular fly wheel?
            >
            > Why do people put these in basements???????????????????
            >
            > The cost of moving is very prohibitive.
            > What is the scrap value on this machine if a scrap yard were to come
            > and buy it?
            >
            > Does anyone have a used foil attachment for one?
            >
            > Thanks
            > Steve

            Peter Fraterdeus
            Exquisite Letterpress from Slow Print Studios
            http://slowprint.com/
            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 4, 2009
              On 4 Nov 2009, at 3:37 PM, Harold Kyle wrote:

              > The best you can do is remove the flywheel, which will then allow
              > you to
              > remove the "table" on the front which holds the paper feed and
              > delivery
              > sections. These parts are not exactly easy to remove but they are
              > possible.
              > You're still left with two very heavy castings which are not
              > suitable for
              > carrying. I can describe the process required for this if you'd
              > like, and it
              > should print fine afterwards because everything's pinned in place.
              > Incidentally, I support a constitutional amendment to prohibit
              > presses from
              > basements.

              That would have to be the subterranean rider on the First Amendment, eh?

              Or a prohibition on Underground Lit?

              ;-)

              > Hope this helps,
              > Harold
              >
              > --
              > ---
              > Boxcar Press
              > 501 W. Fayette St. #222
              > Syracuse, NY 13204
              > www.boxcarpress.com

              Peter Fraterdeus
              Exquisite Letterpress from Slow Print Studios
              http://slowprint.com/
            • Fritz Klinke
              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 4, 2009
                As to scrap value, a scrapper has to go through as much work to remove the press from a basement as you would, and most won't do that kind of work anyway, and in fact, would likely charge to remove the press. Scrap iron and steel is still very low in price with little demand. A press in a basement has much less value because of location so the cost to remove plus the press price should about equal what one sitting on a loading dock would sell for.

                As to the basement question, a very good question. We moved 5 Monotypes, a Miehle V-50, Little Giant 6, C&P 10x15, plus 500 cases of type and cabinets out of our basement last September. But we had concrete stairs 4 feet wide, a steel dead man eye bolt cast into the concrete at the top of the stairs for chain hoists, and a custom steel sled to move up and down the stair treads with hand and power come alongs and winches. And it was still an ordeal.

                And as to the quality of hired help--after everything was moved and in place, I parked in a place I didn't usually park at our new building, and when I got out of the car, the glint of type metal caught my eye--there was a nice little pile of 96 pt Huxley Vertical in the road, right where someone dumped it off the top of a case of type. It was ok, but that lead to a closer search of the area and a few more pieces showed up in the gravel, including part of my union bug collection. Well, I could not have done all that work myself and others don't share the same passionate feelings towards this stuff that I do.

                Fritz

                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 4, 2009
                  On 4 Nov 2009, at 5:47 PM, Fritz Klinke wrote:
                  > And as to the quality of hired help--after everything was moved and
                  > in place, I parked in a place I didn't usually park at our new
                  > building, and when I got out of the car, the glint of type metal
                  > caught my eye--there was a nice little pile of 96 pt Huxley Vertical

                  Oh no! One of my favorites!
                  Yeah... but we're thankful for folks willing to put up with our little
                  obsession eh?
                  :-)

                • speedgray@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 4, 2009
                    In my shop at home I have a Miehle Vertical, a Windmill, two C-4
                    Intertypes, two Ludlow machines, a 10x15 C&P and a 14 x 22 C&P, plus two Challenge
                    23" cutters. All accumulated over the past seven years or so. I moved all of
                    this equipment myself. All you need is a pallet jack and a heavy duty
                    utility trailer. Plus, moving equipment (rigging) is a pleasurable activity if
                    done safely.

                    Speed Gray
                    Grad rapids, MI

                    In a message dated 11/4/2009 4:42:01 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                    peterf@... writes:

                    On 4 Nov 2009, at 3:37 PM, Harold Kyle wrote:

                    > The best you can do is remove the flywheel, which will then allow
                    > you to
                    > remove the "table" on the front which holds the paper feed and
                    > delivery
                    > sections. These parts are not exactly easy to remove but they are
                    > possible.
                    > You're still left with two very heavy castings which are not
                    > suitable for
                    > carrying. I can describe the process required for this if you'd
                    > like, and it
                    > should print fine afterwards because everything's pinned in place.
                    > Incidentally, I support a constitutional amendment to prohibit
                    > presses from
                    > basements.

                    That would have to be the subterranean rider on the First Amendment, eh?

                    Or a prohibition on Underground Lit?

                    ;-)

                    > Hope this helps,
                    > Harold
                    >
                    > --
                    > ---
                    > Boxcar Press
                    > 501 W. Fayette St. #222
                    > Syracuse, NY 13204
                    > www.boxcarpress.

                    Peter Fraterdeus
                    Exquisite Letterpress from Slow Print Studios
                    _http://slowprint.http_ (http://slowprint.com/)

                  • Arthur
                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 4, 2009
                      A pleasurable activity?..............right...............

                      Is your home shop in a basement????????? I highly doubt it.

                      If it was all level ground - then yes no problem, it could be sort of pleasurable. I have pallet jacks, hydraulic jacks, a come along and even a pallet lifter - but how do I get it up 7 concrete stairs!!!
                      So far the highest quote is $8000.00 !!!
                      Even after contacting Heidelberg to dismantle it, I am still not convinced that they are even comfortable with it.
                      It's a real shame to be honest...... not sure what to do.

                    • jason@greenboathouse.com
                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 4, 2009
                        I was working on a 14.5x22 beast earlier this summer, and I'm currently working on a 10x15 - believe me, the former makes the latter look and feel like a toy. Seems to me that without too much trouble you can get the ink disk, etc., the platen, the flywheel & shaft, and other smaller bits off, leaving you with the main hulk of the press. At that point it doesn't seem too terrible to line your stairs with some 1" plywood, load and strap the press onto a palet-jack, and hoist it up your stairs. The trick, of course, being that you'll need something like a tank to hook your come-along into.

                        While I've heard time and again of the horrors of dismantling C&Ps, and while I certainly wouldn't advise anyone to do so unles they're comfortable with the basic engineering, the re-assembly, in my experience, is just a matter of careful planning, patient and focused work, and a willingness to expect a good challenge or 10 along the way. Nothing's impossible, and a sense of adventure tends to carry the burden half the distance.

                        In the past 6 months I've found, partially dismantled, moved, and restored a 14.5x22 C&P Oldstyle, a 10x15 Newstyle, an 8x12 Westman & Baker, a 30" C&P cutter, a Challenge proof press, 3 cabinets of type, and all the bits & pieces. Most of this was heaved into a U-Haul on a palet-jack (up that flimsy loading ramp that comes with the truck). The big C&P went on a tilt-flat-deck with a winch. Most of it had to come across a bumpy and soft yard, and up and over an 8-inch deck. All good fun.

                        It really is, I think, the attitude that dictates the difficulty. Like my old man always said, no pain, no gain.

                        Jason
                        Greenboathouse Press

                        A pleasurable activity?..............right...............

                        Is your home shop in a basement????????? I highly doubt it.

                        If it was all level ground - then yes no problem, it could be sort of pleasurable. I have pallet jacks, hydraulic jacks, a come along and even a pallet lifter - but how do I get it up 7 concrete stairs!!!
                        So far the highest quote is $8000.00 !!!
                        Even after contacting Heidelberg to dismantle it, I am still not convinced that they are even comfortable with it.
                        It's a real shame to be honest...... not sure what to do.

                        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, speedgray@... wrote:

                        > In my shop at home I have a Miehle Vertical, a Windmill, two C-4
                        > Intertypes, two Ludlow machines, a 10x15 C&P and a 14 x 22 C&P, plus two Challenge
                        > 23" cutters. All accumulated over the past seven years or so. I moved all of
                        > this equipment myself. All you need is a pallet jack and a heavy duty
                        > utility trailer. Plus, moving equipment (rigging) is a pleasurable activity if
                        > done safely.
                        >
                        > Speed Gray
                        > Grad rapids, MI
                        >

                        > In a message dated 11/4/2009 4:42:01 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                        > peterf@... writes:
                        >

                        > On 4 Nov 2009, at 3:37 PM, Harold Kyle wrote:
                        >
                        > > The best you can do is remove the flywheel, which will then allow
                        > > you to
                        > > remove the "table" on the front which holds the paper feed and
                        > > delivery
                        > > sections. These parts are not exactly easy to remove but they are
                        > > possible.
                        > > You're still left with two very heavy castings which are not
                        > > suitable for
                        > > carrying. I can describe the process required for this if you'd
                        > > like, and it
                        > > should print fine afterwards because everything's pinned in place.
                        > > Incidentally, I support a constitutional amendment to prohibit
                        > > presses from
                        > > basements.
                        >
                        > That would have to be the subterranean rider on the First Amendment, eh?
                        >
                        > Or a prohibition on Underground Lit?
                        >
                        > ;-)

                        > > Hope this helps,
                        > > Harold
                        > >
                        > > --
                        > > ---
                        > > Boxcar Press
                        > > 501 W. Fayette St. #222
                        > > Syracuse, NY 13204
                        > > www.boxcarpress.
                        > >

                        > Peter Fraterdeus
                        > Exquisite Letterpress from Slow Print Studios
                        > _http://slowprint.http_ (http://slowprint.com/)

                      • okintertype
                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 4, 2009
                          Moving a press that weighs 2500 lbs. is not something to be taken lightly. I assume you meant seven concrete "steps" rather than "stairs." Every move is at least somewhat different. I moved mine off a low, flat bed trailer onto a ground level shop floor using homemade lumber ramps, properly blocked up to take the weight, and using pipe rollers and come alongs. This was done after installing 4 x 6 six ft. long lumber skids under the press to stabilize it. It's tedious and somewhat dangerous, but it can be done safely.

                          Stan

                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 4, 2009
                            Hmmm. OK, got some time to offer my two cents here.

                            On 4 Nov 2009, at 8:51 PM, jason@... wrote:

                            > I was working on a 14.5x22 beast earlier this summer, and I'm
                            > currently working on a 10x15 - believe me, the former makes the
                            > latter look and feel like a toy. Seems to me that without too much
                            > trouble you can get the ink disk, etc., the platen, the flywheel &
                            > shaft, and other smaller bits off, leaving you with the main hulk of
                            > the press. At that point it doesn't seem too terrible to line your
                            > stairs with some 1" plywood, load and strap the press onto a palet-
                            > jack, and hoist it up your stairs. The trick, of course, being that
                            > you'll need something like a tank to hook your come-along into.

                            There's a big difference between a C&P - even 14.5x22 - and a
                            Heidelberg ;-)
                            I'd sure hate to go through dismantling a Windmill if I didn't have
                            to! And hope I never have to!

                            > If it was all level ground - then yes no problem, it could be sort
                            > of pleasurable. I have pallet jacks, hydraulic jacks, a come along
                            > and even a pallet lifter - but how do I get it up 7 concrete stairs!!!
                            > So far the highest quote is $8000.00 !!!
                            > Even after contacting Heidelberg to dismantle it, I am still not
                            > convinced that they are even comfortable with it.
                            > It's a real shame to be honest...... not sure what to do.

                            Still, as far as the steps go, a ramp and a skid is the way to go. If
                            you can get the press on a skid, two 6x12 timbers, say, bolted down
                            with lags, and a couple of cold-steel rods to slip under these.

                            You can move anything with 5/8 inch steel rods. Just jimmy up the
                            front of your skid and get the roller under it.
                            Move tons with your pinky ;-) (once it's moving, anyway...)

                            The ramp, of course, will need to be very solid. But wood is very
                            strong, if used correctly.

                            My friends in Anamosa have been known to hire an auto-tow-truck, and
                            use the winch to move/skid a press out of wherever and then pick it up
                            (with plenty and multiple and redundant cables and straps) to get it
                            on a palette.

                            Is the door frame solid?
                            My first shop was moved out of a basement (back in 1980) in downtown
                            Evanston, IL. The mover put two timbers across the threshold of the
                            doorway at the top of the stairs (fortunately a straight shot), and
                            mounted his winch behind that. Put the presses on skids (as above),
                            hooked a heavy wire cable to the press (around the frame and hooked
                            back onto itself) to the press and pulled it right up the stairs. I
                            think he only had a ramp up the first few, since once it's on the
                            angle, the skids will come right along the stairs (assuming they are
                            all at the same grade). Skids are chamfered at the ends to assist with
                            this, of course.

                            Basic machines are your friend :^) Think of it like moving a huge
                            block of granite up the pyramids!

                            Inclined plane, rollers, winches, hydraulic jacks, Johnson Bar, or the
                            biggest crowbar available.
                            Non-stretching rope, heavy mesh straps, etc.

                            If you have to slide the skid (as opposed to rolling) get a few yards
                            of scrap carpet. Will help slide loads over all kinds of surfaces,
                            either carpet side down to protect the floor, or carpet side up to
                            provide a smoother ride over ridges, thresholds, and so forth.

                            The Windmill has a set of holes in the frame through which you can run
                            a 2 inch steel pipe (the heavier the better) (I think it's 2 inch...)
                            The ones shown in the photo were a bit thin and bent in the process,
                            but no problem holding the weight of the press.

                            See photo here:
                            http://bit.ly/uqq1Y

                            I was fortunate to have this 'little' electric fork to work with,
                            although I didn't know there was a longer set of forks available,
                            which would have helped a lot...

                            But we also used simple jack and wedge to get the other press off its
                            palette.

                            Or ON the palette/skids if you don't have a way to lift it otherwise.
                            Get a pipe in there, build a stack of 2x4s under each end of it, and
                            jack up the front of the press until you can slide another 2x4 on the
                            pile, then, let the jack down, put a 2x4 under the jack and repeat.
                            Then repeat at the other end of the press.

                            The pipes need to be long enough and the stacks of wood need to be far
                            enough apart to eventually be able to get your skids under the foot of
                            the press... Reverse to get it off the skids...
                            Also remember to put your drip pan down before putting the press in
                            place!

                            Anyway, the first rule of moving presses is don't try to save it if it
                            starts goin' over ;-)
                            Seriously. Really.

                            The second rule is think three times before putting any strain on your
                            self, or your equipment, and make sure it will NOT go over by lifting
                            from above if at all possible.

                            I can say rigging's a pleasurable sort of activity for problem solvers
                            and back of the envelope engineer types ;-)

                            Good luck and be safe!

                            PS Feel free to send me half of the eight-grand for the free advice ;-)

                            > A pleasurable activity?..............right...............
                            >
                            > Is your home shop in a basement????????? I highly doubt it.

                            Peter Fraterdeus
                            Exquisite Letterpress from Slow Print Studios
                            http://slowprint.com/
                          • bielerpr
                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 4, 2009
                              I really didn't want to get into this, having moved lots of presses in my time and with lots of amazing stories, but, quite frankly, who cares? why do guys get off on this?

                              A member called me up on the phone tonight and said, "tell them to make a phone call."

                              Really, unless you are young and poor and stupid, make the call. To a reputable press mover. You may live, without physical damage, to tell about it.

                              Gerald
                              PPL

                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 4, 2009
                                On 4 Nov 2009, at 11:18 PM, bielerpr wrote:

                                > I really didn't want to get into this, having moved lots of presses
                                > in my time and with lots of amazing stories, but, quite frankly, who
                                > cares? why do guys get off on this?
                                >
                                > A member called me up on the phone tonight and said, "tell them to
                                > make a phone call."
                                >
                                > Really, unless you are young and poor and stupid, make the call. To
                                > a reputable press mover. You may live, without physical damage, to
                                > tell about it.
                                >
                                > Gerald
                                > PPL

                                Honestly, I hope I never have to move another press in my life, but
                                the press gods may have other plans, who knows.

                                However, I'm happy to be able to contribute a useful synopsis.
                                And I don't care to try to understand why someone would begrudge that,
                                why do guys get off on that?

                                Easy to say "make a phone call" - perhaps some of us are not so well
                                endowed as to just snap our fingers and 'make it so'
                                Maybe some of us like to get dirty and greasy and figure out a tough
                                problem now and then.

                                Fer cryin' out loud. If I wasn't an optimist, I'd have just let you
                                ruin a perfectly good mood.

                                Cheers :-)

                                Peter Fraterdeus
                                http://slowprint.com/
                              • bielerpr
                                Message 15 of 23 , Nov 4, 2009
                                  Whatever.

                                • one@onefootinfront.com
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Nov 4, 2009
                                    Gerald is right, coming from the experience of being young, broke and stupid
                                    I now use movers for more anything over 1500#...so worth it

                                    plus you must be a superior mechanic to piece out a Heidelberg and than
                                    get it to work again. kudos if you have that skill

                                  • jason@greenboathouse.com
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Nov 4, 2009
                                      I should mention that I mistakenly thought we were talking about C&Ps, not Heidelbergs.
                                      I have no experience whatsoever with the latter...

                                      Jason

                                      Gerald is right, coming from the experience of being young, broke and stupid
                                      I now use movers for more anything over 1500#...so worth it

                                      plus you must be a superior mechanic to piece out a Heidelberg and than
                                      get it to work again. kudos if you have that skill

                                      > Whatever.

                                      > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Peter Fraterdeus <peterf@...> wrote:
                                      >>

                                      >> On 4 Nov 2009, at 11:18 PM, bielerpr wrote:
                                      >>
                                      >> > I really didn't want to get into this, having moved lots of presses
                                      >> > in my time and with lots of amazing stories, but, quite frankly, who
                                      >> > cares? why do guys get off on this?
                                      >> >
                                      >> > A member called me up on the phone tonight and said, "tell them to
                                      >> > make a phone call."
                                      >> >
                                      >> > Really, unless you are young and poor and stupid, make the call. To
                                      >> > a reputable press mover. You may live, without physical damage, to
                                      >> > tell about it.
                                      >> >
                                      >> > Gerald
                                      >> > PPL
                                      >>

                                      >> Honestly, I hope I never have to move another press in my life, but
                                      >> the press gods may have other plans, who knows.
                                      >>
                                      >> However, I'm happy to be able to contribute a useful synopsis.
                                      >> And I don't care to try to understand why someone would begrudge that,
                                      >> why do guys get off on that?
                                      >>
                                      >> Easy to say "make a phone call" - perhaps some of us are not so well
                                      >> endowed as to just snap our fingers and 'make it so'
                                      >> Maybe some of us like to get dirty and greasy and figure out a tough
                                      >> problem now and then.
                                      >>
                                      >> Fer cryin' out loud. If I wasn't an optimist, I'd have just let you
                                      >> ruin a perfectly good mood.
                                      >>
                                      >> Cheers :-)

                                      >> Peter Fraterdeus
                                      >> http://slowprint.com/

                                    • Steve Robison
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Nov 4, 2009
                                        To would be press movers...

                                        I can't resist jumping in here with yet another absurd mover's thought...

                                        Some years back, we were on vacation and it rained buckets while we were gone. Our basement flooded because the sump pump we had down there decided to quit. Murphy's law always works overtime when you're gone on vacation. Anyway, when we got back home we had a fairly good sized swimming pool under the house and stuff floating around everywhere down there.

                                        So my thought is this:

                                        As opposed to spending $8,000 to move the windmill, just hire some folks to move everything but the Heidi out of the basement. Then attach flotation devices to the windmill and fill the basement with water until you can float the press out!

                                        Let's see....

                                        $250 for labor to move everything out of the basement
                                        $450 for some really effective flotation tanks to attach to the press
                                        $500 water bill to fill up the basement
                                        $150 for a pump to pump out all the water after you get the press out
                                        $150 fan rental to air out the basement afterward
                                        $250 for labor to move everything else back in to the basement
                                        $250 for all the misc. stuff I forgot you'll need
                                        = $2,000 TOTAL

                                        See, with a little ingenuity you could save $6000 on the move, and if you invite the local TV news crews over, you could even see yourself on the 6 o'clock news that night, not to mention a YouTube video or two on the web, and maybe ask for donations to offset the costs sent to your offshore account.

                                        It's kind of like a story my Dad used to tell about a farmer who was having a problem getting his truck full of chicken's up a steep grade. So the farmer stopped the truck and sent his son to the back of the truck with a stick, instructing his son to wave the stick around wildly. The farmer then gunned the engine, and while his son waved the stick, half of the chickens were kept flying around, and the truck made it up and over the grade without a problem.

                                        Sometimes thinking out of the box (or in this case, "out of the basement") might make the impossible possible!

                                        By the way, I too have moved my share of heavy printing equipment over the years, both for myself and many others. I tend to shy away from moving anything larger than a 10x15 C&P, and have been quite comfortable watching (and sometimes advising) professional movers move the rest.

                                        Best wishes,

                                        --Steve

                                        Steve Robison
                                        The Robison Press
                                        Belmont, CA - about 25 miles south of San Francisco
                                        robisonsteve@...

                                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                                      • Steve Robison
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Nov 4, 2009
                                          By the way, when it's larger than a 10 x 15, I call the Hicks Brothers!

                                          --Steve

                                          Steve Robison
                                          robisonsteve@...

                                          > I can't resist jumping in here with yet another absurd
                                          > mover's thought...
                                          >
                                          > Some years back, we were on vacation and it rained buckets
                                          > while we were gone. Our basement flooded because the sump
                                          > pump we had down there decided to quit. Murphy's law always
                                          > works overtime when you're gone on vacation. Anyway, when we
                                          > got back home we had a fairly good sized swimming pool under
                                          > the house and stuff floating around everywhere down there.
                                          >
                                          > So my thought is this:
                                          >
                                          > As opposed to spending $8,000 to move the windmill, just
                                          > hire some folks to move everything but the Heidi out of the
                                          > basement. Then attach flotation devices to the windmill and
                                          > fill the basement with water until you can float the press
                                          > out!
                                          >
                                          > Let's see....
                                          >
                                          >     $250 for labor to move everything out of the
                                          > basement
                                          >     $450 for some really effective flotation
                                          > tanks to attach to the press
                                          >     $500 water bill to fill up the basement
                                          >     $150 for a pump to pump out all the water
                                          > after you get the press out
                                          >     $150 fan rental to air out the basement
                                          > afterward
                                          >     $250 for labor to move everything else back
                                          > in to the basement
                                          >     $250 for all the misc. stuff I forgot you'll
                                          > need
                                          > = $2,000 TOTAL
                                          >
                                          > See, with a little ingenuity you could save $6000 on the
                                          > move, and if you invite the local TV news crews over, you
                                          > could even see yourself on the 6 o'clock news that night,
                                          > not to mention a YouTube video or two on the web, and maybe
                                          > ask for donations to offset the costs sent to your offshore
                                          > account.
                                          >
                                          > It's kind of like a story my Dad used to tell about a
                                          > farmer who was having a problem getting his truck full of
                                          > chicken's up a steep grade. So the farmer stopped the truck
                                          > and sent his son to the back of the truck with a stick,
                                          > instructing his son to wave the stick around wildly. The
                                          > farmer then gunned the engine, and while his son waved the
                                          > stick, half of the chickens were kept flying around, and the
                                          > truck made it up and over the grade without a problem.
                                          >
                                          > Sometimes thinking out of the box (or in this case, "out of
                                          > the basement") might make the impossible possible!
                                          >
                                          > By the way, I too have moved my share of heavy printing
                                          > equipment over the years, both for myself and many others. I
                                          > tend to shy away from moving anything larger than a 10x15
                                          > C&P, and have been quite comfortable watching (and
                                          > sometimes advising) professional movers move the rest.
                                          >
                                          > Best wishes,
                                          >
                                          > --Steve
                                          >
                                          > Steve Robison
                                          > The Robison Press
                                          > Belmont, CA - about 25 miles south of San Francisco
                                          > robisonsteve@...

                                          > protection around
                                          > http://mail.yahoo.com

                                        • Visualpropaganda
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Nov 5, 2009
                                            Hello all,

                                            I just moved a windmill about two months ago. It was already
                                            dismantled. The table (with paper feed etc.) was on a different pallet
                                            than the base. I just hired a truck and was able to put it on the
                                            truck with help from the people from whom I bought it. I tried
                                            unloading it with the help of my father and nearly killed myself. No
                                            kidding! It's not fun when 1 ton of heavy german steal on a pallet-
                                            jack is pushing you from the truck ramp. I was lucky enough that one
                                            of the pallet-jack wheels got caught somewhere on the ramp and stopped
                                            the whole pallet-jack + windmill base to go further. If this didn't
                                            happen, I definitely couldn't write you these few lines.
                                            I managed to get the base from the truck anyway, but soon after it
                                            fell over onto the street. Unfortunately onto the impression throw-
                                            off lever, which got bend below the weight of the base. I couldn't get
                                            the base up again and from the street. So I had to call a heavy
                                            machinery moving company who picked it up with a forklift and put it
                                            in my garage. So I head to pay someone anyway. If I had hired them
                                            from the start to unload the windmill, it probably wouldn't be damaged
                                            (which I was able to fix by now) and I wouldn't have risked my life.
                                            I know letterpress is a passion, but one to die for or even worse get
                                            crippled for? I've learned from that, that I will never move the
                                            windmill or a windmill on my own again.

                                            Just another note about dismantling the windmill. I've found a retired
                                            german heidelberg service technician, who helped me repair my windmill
                                            and will help me to restore it. He said dismantling the table and
                                            other pieces like the engine and the air pump doesn't really hurt the
                                            windmill. It will all fit together again nicely. The advantage is,
                                            that you will have the chance to give the windmill a good clean up
                                            while dismantled.

                                            Hope this helps
                                            Mirko

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Nov 5, 2009
                                              A cautionary tale indeed.

                                              Don't use a pallet jack on a ramp.

                                              Bad idea.

                                              Glad to hear you and the press survived.
                                              Also glad to hear you've got a German tech nearby. Great resource!!

                                              Anybody know of a Windmill service tech in the Upper Midwest?

                                              PF

                                              On 5 Nov 2009, at 4:37 AM, Visualpropaganda wrote:

                                              > Hello all,
                                              >
                                              > I just moved a windmill about two months ago. It was already
                                              > dismantled. The table (with paper feed etc.) was on a different pallet
                                              > than the base. I just hired a truck and was able to put it on the
                                              > truck with help from the people from whom I bought it. I tried
                                              > unloading it with the help of my father and nearly killed myself. No
                                              > I know letterpress is a passion, but one to die for or even worse get
                                              > crippled for? I've learned from that, that I will never move the
                                              > windmill or a windmill on my own again.
                                              >
                                              > Just another note about dismantling the windmill. I've found a retired
                                              > german heidelberg service technician, who helped me repair my windmill
                                              > and will help me to restore it. He said dismantling the table and
                                              > other pieces like the engine and the air pump doesn't really hurt the
                                              > windmill. It will all fit together again nicely. The advantage is,
                                              > that you will have the chance to give the windmill a good clean up
                                              > while dismantled.
                                              >
                                              > Hope this helps
                                              > Mirko

                                              Peter Fraterdeus
                                              Exquisite Letterpress from Slow Print Studios
                                              http://slowprint.com/
                                            • Joanna Brinckerhoff
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Nov 5, 2009
                                                Peter,

                                                I don't know if he is still in the business, but I worked with a man named
                                                John Guteck who was a Heidelberg technician. He installed the Windmill that
                                                you purchased from me, taught me how to use it, and serviced it for me every
                                                year.

                                                He was located outside of Chicago and the contact numbers I have for him are
                                                847-550-1617 (business) and 847-804-1617 (cell). It's been a while since I
                                                last called him, but maybe he is still around.

                                                Hope all is well with you.

                                                Thanks,

                                                Joanna

                                                Joanna Brinckerhoff

                                                Joie Designs, Ltd.

                                                123 West Hickory Street

                                                Hinsdale, Illinois 60521

                                                Tel: 312.543.9582

                                                Fax: 630.920.3102

                                                Email: joanna@...

                                                _____

                                                Glad to hear you and the press survived.
                                                Also glad to hear you've got a German tech nearby. Great resource!!

                                                Anybody know of a Windmill service tech in the Upper Midwest?

                                                PF

                                                On 5 Nov 2009, at 4:37 AM, Visualpropaganda wrote:

                                                > Hello all,
                                                >
                                                > I just moved a windmill about two months ago. It was already
                                                > dismantled. The table (with paper feed etc.) was on a different pallet
                                                > than the base. I just hired a truck and was able to put it on the
                                                > truck with help from the people from whom I bought it. I tried
                                                > unloading it with the help of my father and nearly killed myself. No
                                                > I know letterpress is a passion, but one to die for or even worse get
                                                > crippled for? I've learned from that, that I will never move the
                                                > windmill or a windmill on my own again.
                                                >
                                                > Just another note about dismantling the windmill. I've found a retired
                                                > german heidelberg service technician, who helped me repair my windmill
                                                > and will help me to restore it. He said dismantling the table and
                                                > other pieces like the engine and the air pump doesn't really hurt the
                                                > windmill. It will all fit together again nicely. The advantage is,
                                                > that you will have the chance to give the windmill a good clean up
                                                > while dismantled.
                                                >
                                                > Hope this helps
                                                > Mirko

                                                Peter Fraterdeus
                                                Exquisite Letterpress from Slow Print Studios
                                                http://slowprint. <http://slowprint.com/> com/

                                              • Eric
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Nov 5, 2009

                                                  > Don't use a pallet jack on a ramp.

                                                  I'd say instead, never use a ramp without control of the object (by winch, comealong, ropes, helpers with prybars and/or wedges for brakes; there are many possibilites) and never stand downramp of a heavy moveable object. A jack could be used with those conditions.
                                                  And yes, I did learn that the hard way.
                                                  --Eric Holub, SF