FWD: TIPOITALIA ISSUE #2

  • bielerpr
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2009
      Tipoitalia 2 gives a lot of attention to numbers. Compared with letters there is no doubt that these are a minor part of the typographic scene, but there is also no denying that on a par with letters they have their rightful place alongside the alphabet. Here we discuss the application of numbers on Italian clock dials and house numbers where due consideration for architectural circumstances is a necessity.

      The Tipoteca Italiana has kindly printed an exclusive insert of very expressive wood type numbers. Another insert prepared by Enrico Tallone and printed by him in letterpress is part of the article on Alberto Tallone's type – designed in the late 1940s, for the Tallone books – following a typographic tradition that goes back to the Renaissance.

      As in the first issue of Tipoitalia, the types chosen for the texts are the products of Italian designers or interpretations of historical Italian models. Types designed by some young and talented Italians are especially noteworthy and we are grateful to them for making these available to us.

      More info and PDF spread pages are available at www.tipoitalia.it