Re: FW: [sfletterpress] ? Computer to Plate

  • bielerpr
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 4, 2009
      Hi Harold

      Yes, I've processed these, but for a client using flexography, not letterpress. I haven't seen any CTP letterpress plate specs (and appropriate plate thicknesses) that would be of use for that all important "within our community."

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Harold Kyle <harold@...> wrote:

      > Gerald:
      >
      > This comment caught me by surprise. There are several systems that use
      > lasers to ablate a carbon mask on the plate before processing. Do you not
      > consider these CTP?
      >
      > For instance:
      > http://www.integre.com.tr/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_view&gid=6&Itemid=37(167K
      > PDF)
      >
      > BASF and Toyobo among others make ablative letterpress plates for these
      > systems. They are expensive and not used much (if at all) within our
      > community.
      >
      > Thanks
      > Harold
      >
      > On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 2:20 AM, bielerpr <Bieler@...> wrote:
      >

      > > Steve
      > >
      > > I don't know of any CTP yet configured for letterpress specifications.
      > >

      > --
      > ---
      > Boxcar Press
      > 501 W. Fayette St. #222
      > Syracuse, NY 13204
      > www.boxcarpress.com

    • Harold Kyle
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 4, 2009
        Gerald:

        Letterpress CTP plates are indeed available, and with the same specs as we
        use. KF95 plates and KM95 plates are presently made in a version with an
        ablative mask, as are the BASF WFH 95 (or whatever). I know that Toyobo was
        willing to add an ablative mask to any of their letterpress plates upon
        request. These cost roughly 10% more than conventional plates, sometimes
        more. Because of the costs of the material (and also the 6-figure equipment
        cost) which we'd have to pass along to our customers, we have not invested
        in CTP technology quite yet.

        Thanks
        Harold

        Boxcar Press