Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: FW: [sfletterpress] ? Computer to Plate

  • Harold Kyle
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 3, 2009
      Gerald:

      This comment caught me by surprise. There are several systems that use
      lasers to ablate a carbon mask on the plate before processing. Do you not
      consider these CTP?

      For instance:
      http://www.integre.com.tr/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_view&gid=6&Itemid=37(167K
      PDF)

      BASF and Toyobo among others make ablative letterpress plates for these
      systems. They are expensive and not used much (if at all) within our
      community.

      Thanks
      Harold

      --
      ---
      Boxcar Press

    • bielerpr
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 4, 2009
        Hi Harold

        Yes, I've processed these, but for a client using flexography, not letterpress. I haven't seen any CTP letterpress plate specs (and appropriate plate thicknesses) that would be of use for that all important "within our community."

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Harold Kyle <harold@...> wrote:

        > Gerald:
        >
        > This comment caught me by surprise. There are several systems that use
        > lasers to ablate a carbon mask on the plate before processing. Do you not
        > consider these CTP?
        >
        > For instance:
        > http://www.integre.com.tr/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_view&gid=6&Itemid=37(167K
        > PDF)
        >
        > BASF and Toyobo among others make ablative letterpress plates for these
        > systems. They are expensive and not used much (if at all) within our
        > community.
        >
        > Thanks
        > Harold
        >
        > On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 2:20 AM, bielerpr <Bieler@...> wrote:
        >

        > > Steve
        > >
        > > I don't know of any CTP yet configured for letterpress specifications.
        > >

        > --
        > ---
        > Boxcar Press
        > 501 W. Fayette St. #222
        > Syracuse, NY 13204
        > www.boxcarpress.com

      • Harold Kyle
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 4, 2009
          Gerald:

          Letterpress CTP plates are indeed available, and with the same specs as we
          use. KF95 plates and KM95 plates are presently made in a version with an
          ablative mask, as are the BASF WFH 95 (or whatever). I know that Toyobo was
          willing to add an ablative mask to any of their letterpress plates upon
          request. These cost roughly 10% more than conventional plates, sometimes
          more. Because of the costs of the material (and also the 6-figure equipment
          cost) which we'd have to pass along to our customers, we have not invested
          in CTP technology quite yet.

          Thanks
          Harold

          Boxcar Press