Re: FW: [sfletterpress] ? Computer to Plate

  • bielerpr
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 2, 2009
      Steve

      I don't know of any CTP yet configured for letterpress specifications.

      No, letterpress specs are a very small latitude in the range of photopolymer plate possibilities. Not the same as flexography.

      An offset plate the same as a Toyobo KM152 steel-backed photopolymer plate? Maybe, by a long stretch of the imagination.

      Still, a plate is a plate, by definition, is it not? We live in a time where everything is relatively the same and thus the same.

      So, why are there so many problems?

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Arthur" <steinsteve@...> wrote:

      > Dupont Cyrelfast CTP.
      > There are others but.........
      > I do not know if they work on photopolymer for letter presses. I think they are made for offset and flexo plates. But, isn't a flexo plate the same as a letterpress plate (Toyobo Printtight)? Now that I think about it......isn't an offset plate the same as Toyobo KM152 plate, metal backed?
      >
      > Please let me know as I would like to look into one as well.
      >
      > Steve
      >

      > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Incline Press <books.inclinepress@> wrote:
      > >
      > > > Thanks Gerald;
      > > >
      > > > Seemed to me that there was a better level of expertise here than anywhere
      > > > else, but so long as the query has been addressed, all is well.
      > > >
      > > > Graham
      > > >

      > > > Hi Graham
      > > >
      > > > Not sure how we can address this here, but I did check out the thread on
      > > > sfletterpress. Seems covered.
      > > >
      > > > Not sure if Mark is referring to photopolymer plate processors or
      > > > photomechanical engravers but we have most of the known letterpress related
      > > > suppliers of both listed in the Links section here. And would welcome more if
      > > > anyone was so inclined.
      > > >
      > > > Gerald
      > > > PPL
      > > >
      > > > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Graham and Kathy <kwhalen.incline@>

    • Harold Kyle
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 3, 2009
        Gerald:

        This comment caught me by surprise. There are several systems that use
        lasers to ablate a carbon mask on the plate before processing. Do you not
        consider these CTP?

        For instance:
        http://www.integre.com.tr/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_view&gid=6&Itemid=37(167K
        PDF)

        BASF and Toyobo among others make ablative letterpress plates for these
        systems. They are expensive and not used much (if at all) within our
        community.

        Thanks
        Harold

        --
        ---
        Boxcar Press

      • bielerpr
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 4, 2009
          Hi Harold

          Yes, I've processed these, but for a client using flexography, not letterpress. I haven't seen any CTP letterpress plate specs (and appropriate plate thicknesses) that would be of use for that all important "within our community."

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Harold Kyle <harold@...> wrote:

          > Gerald:
          >
          > This comment caught me by surprise. There are several systems that use
          > lasers to ablate a carbon mask on the plate before processing. Do you not
          > consider these CTP?
          >
          > For instance:
          > http://www.integre.com.tr/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_view&gid=6&Itemid=37(167K
          > PDF)
          >
          > BASF and Toyobo among others make ablative letterpress plates for these
          > systems. They are expensive and not used much (if at all) within our
          > community.
          >
          > Thanks
          > Harold
          >
          > On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 2:20 AM, bielerpr <Bieler@...> wrote:
          >

          > > Steve
          > >
          > > I don't know of any CTP yet configured for letterpress specifications.
          > >

          > --
          > ---
          > Boxcar Press
          > 501 W. Fayette St. #222
          > Syracuse, NY 13204
          > www.boxcarpress.com

        • Harold Kyle
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 4, 2009
            Gerald:

            Letterpress CTP plates are indeed available, and with the same specs as we
            use. KF95 plates and KM95 plates are presently made in a version with an
            ablative mask, as are the BASF WFH 95 (or whatever). I know that Toyobo was
            willing to add an ablative mask to any of their letterpress plates upon
            request. These cost roughly 10% more than conventional plates, sometimes
            more. Because of the costs of the material (and also the 6-figure equipment
            cost) which we'd have to pass along to our customers, we have not invested
            in CTP technology quite yet.

            Thanks
            Harold

            Boxcar Press