Re: Mixing ink colors

  • Shane
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 4, 2002
      Susan
      It would be helpful to know which PMS colour.... although generally
      what we do is substitute opaque white for transparent to give the ink
      enough body (stiffness)
      Most often we will split the transparent white component 50 - 50
      tranparent white, and opaque white. In many situations I would also
      recommend mixing the colour components, then add to a bit of opaque
      white, and mix until you get proper visual colour - If you mix with
      straight opaque white, generally the ink will print pretty much as
      you see it on the slab!
      Good luck

      Shane

      We print several jobs a week on average using colours with high
      tranparent white components.... We specialize in letterpress
      printing, and deal with designers.... who all seem to love
      transparent tints!

      --- In PPLetterpress@y..., Susan Angebranndt <susan@d...> wrote:

      > Recently I mixed up a PMS color that was mostly transparent white
      > (using Vanson rubber-based ink). The color matched, but when I went
      > to print, the result was as if I had lowered my rollers -- there
      was
      > splatter all around the type. I had just printed the plate using
      > black ink with good results, and all I did was clean the press and
      > re-ink. Does anyone have any advice for me? (I have a C&P pilot, so
      > changing the roller height isn't really an option; I removed some
      > packing from the platen but that didn't really help the splatter
      > problem much)
      >
      > Thanks
      > Susan Angebranndt
      > susan@d...
    • Katie Harper
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 4, 2002
        Susan:

        I have found inks colors that have a lot of trans white to be problematic. I
        have now started custom ordering the ink from a local ink company, instead
        of mixing it myself. That has solved a lot of problems.

        Katie Harper
        Ars Brevis Press
        Cincinnati, OH
        513-233-9588
        http://www.arsbrevispress.com

        > From: Susan Angebranndt <susan@...>
        > Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 16:43:19 -0800
        > To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [PPLetterpress] Mixing ink colors
        >

        > Recently I mixed up a PMS color that was mostly transparent white
        > (using Vanson rubber-based ink). The color matched, but when I went
        > to print, the result was as if I had lowered my rollers -- there was
        > splatter all around the type. I had just printed the plate using
        > black ink with good results, and all I did was clean the press and
        > re-ink. Does anyone have any advice for me? (I have a C&P pilot, so
        > changing the roller height isn't really an option; I removed some
        > packing from the platen but that didn't really help the splatter
        > problem much)
        >
        > Thanks
        > Susan Angebranndt
        > susan@...

        > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        > ? Encountering problems? contact:
        > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
        > ? To unsubscribe:

      • The Indian Hill Press
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 5, 2002
          Susan:

          Sounds like classic overinking. With pale colors, we starve the press
          as much as the solids will allow. Note that this may necessitate
          reducing the amount of transparent white in your PMS formula to
          maintain color fidelity. But with letterpress, the recipes are all
          eyeballed anyway.

          Dan Waters
          Indian Hill Press

        • alncarter2003 <alncarter@hotmail.com>
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 12, 2002
            Hi,
            These pastel-toned inks require a finer touch than our
            more-forgiving black inks. The areas of concern are: roller pressure,
            amount of ink on roller, the ink mix, and the printing impression.

            Even that Pilot can be finessed and duct tape is the way to do it:
            apply to those rails that the rollers ride on and you'll back off the
            pressure--one of those Vandercook (round thing on a metal stick)
            gauges that NA Graphics sells is perfect for checking the
            roller-to-plate pressure. You can also just wrap the tape around the
            metal collars that go on the ends of the rollers.

            As for ink on the rollers, I usually ink up until the rollers are
            evenly coated and then take off excess ink with paper--this way there
            are no "starved" areas on the rollers which actually take ink off of
            the plate, but you're not over-inked either. If you haven't done it
            lately, before you ink up it wouldn't be a bad idea to test those
            rollers for imperfections by rolling them on a table and looking to
            see if they contact the surface evenly or if you can sometimes see
            light peek through while you move them--if so, new rollers are the
            only cure. We'll just assume that those rollers are clean, unglazed,
            at the proper diameter, and aren't as hard as a rock.

            Mixing ink. Depending on paper and press (and operator), this
            varies, but I usually add 30-50% more white ink than the formula
            says--letterpress lays a thicker layer of ink than offset and that
            extra ink increases the value to the point, with these pastels, that
            you often wind up printing several pms numbers up the scale from the
            color that you are trying to lay down. With more white ink in the mix,
            while you're laying down more ink than our offset brethren (who that
            pms book is calibrated for) you'll be actually putting down the
            correct amount of pigment required to produce that matching color.

            Printing pressure affects these colors' presentation, with heavy
            pressure producing darker tones. As the Pilot tends to print on the
            heavy pressure side, most of your color adjustments will have to be
            made as discussed above. Either that or do 50 pushups before
            printing--then perhaps your arms will be tired enough for a gentler
            impression. Hope this helps. --Hal