Re: FW: [sfletterpress] ? Computer to Plate

  • bielerpr
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 31, 2009
      Hi Graham

      Not sure how we can address this here, but I did check out the thread on sfletterpress. Seems covered.

      Not sure if Mark is referring to photopolymer plate processors or photomechanical engravers but we have most of the known letterpress related suppliers of both listed in the Links section here. And would welcome more if anyone was so inclined.

      Gerald
      PPL

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Graham and Kathy <kwhalen.incline@...> wrote:

> [...]
    • Incline Press
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2009
        > Thanks Gerald;
        >
        > Seemed to me that there was a better level of expertise here than anywhere
        > else, but so long as the query has been addressed, all is well.
        >
        > Graham
        >

        > Hi Graham
        >
        > Not sure how we can address this here, but I did check out the thread on
        > sfletterpress. Seems covered.
        >
        > Not sure if Mark is referring to photopolymer plate processors or
        > photomechanical engravers but we have most of the known letterpress related
        > suppliers of both listed in the Links section here. And would welcome more if
        > anyone was so inclined.
        >
        > Gerald
        > PPL
        >
        > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Graham and Kathy <kwhalen.incline@...>

      • Arthur
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 1, 2009
          Dupont Cyrelfast CTP.
          There are others but.........
          I do not know if they work on photopolymer for letter presses. I think they are made for offset and flexo plates. But, isn't a flexo plate the same as a letterpress plate (Toyobo Printtight)? Now that I think about it......isn't an offset plate the same as Toyobo KM152 plate, metal backed?

          Please let me know as I would like to look into one as well.

          Steve

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Incline Press <books.inclinepress@...> wrote:

          > > Thanks Gerald;
          > >
          > > Seemed to me that there was a better level of expertise here than anywhere
          > > else, but so long as the query has been addressed, all is well.
          > >
          > > Graham
          > >

          > > Hi Graham
          > >
          > > Not sure how we can address this here, but I did check out the thread on
          > > sfletterpress. Seems covered.
          > >
          > > Not sure if Mark is referring to photopolymer plate processors or
          > > photomechanical engravers but we have most of the known letterpress related
          > > suppliers of both listed in the Links section here. And would welcome more if
          > > anyone was so inclined.
          > >
          > > Gerald
          > > PPL
          > >
          > > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Graham and Kathy <kwhalen.incline@>

        • bielerpr
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 2, 2009
            Steve

            I don't know of any CTP yet configured for letterpress specifications.

            No, letterpress specs are a very small latitude in the range of photopolymer plate possibilities. Not the same as flexography.

            An offset plate the same as a Toyobo KM152 steel-backed photopolymer plate? Maybe, by a long stretch of the imagination.

            Still, a plate is a plate, by definition, is it not? We live in a time where everything is relatively the same and thus the same.

            So, why are there so many problems?

            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Arthur" <steinsteve@...> wrote:

            > Dupont Cyrelfast CTP.
            > There are others but.........
            > I do not know if they work on photopolymer for letter presses. I think they are made for offset and flexo plates. But, isn't a flexo plate the same as a letterpress plate (Toyobo Printtight)? Now that I think about it......isn't an offset plate the same as Toyobo KM152 plate, metal backed?
            >
            > Please let me know as I would like to look into one as well.
            >
            > Steve
            >

            > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Incline Press <books.inclinepress@> wrote:
            > >
            > > > Thanks Gerald;
            > > >
            > > > Seemed to me that there was a better level of expertise here than anywhere
            > > > else, but so long as the query has been addressed, all is well.
            > > >
            > > > Graham
            > > >

            > > > Hi Graham
            > > >
            > > > Not sure how we can address this here, but I did check out the thread on
            > > > sfletterpress. Seems covered.
            > > >
            > > > Not sure if Mark is referring to photopolymer plate processors or
            > > > photomechanical engravers but we have most of the known letterpress related
            > > > suppliers of both listed in the Links section here. And would welcome more if
            > > > anyone was so inclined.
            > > >
            > > > Gerald
            > > > PPL
            > > >
            > > > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Graham and Kathy <kwhalen.incline@>

          • Harold Kyle
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 3, 2009
              Gerald:

              This comment caught me by surprise. There are several systems that use
              lasers to ablate a carbon mask on the plate before processing. Do you not
              consider these CTP?

              For instance:
              http://www.integre.com.tr/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_view&gid=6&Itemid=37(167K
              PDF)

              BASF and Toyobo among others make ablative letterpress plates for these
              systems. They are expensive and not used much (if at all) within our
              community.

              Thanks
              Harold

              --
              ---
              Boxcar Press

            • bielerpr
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 4, 2009
                Hi Harold

                Yes, I've processed these, but for a client using flexography, not letterpress. I haven't seen any CTP letterpress plate specs (and appropriate plate thicknesses) that would be of use for that all important "within our community."

                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Harold Kyle <harold@...> wrote:

                > Gerald:
                >
                > This comment caught me by surprise. There are several systems that use
                > lasers to ablate a carbon mask on the plate before processing. Do you not
                > consider these CTP?
                >
                > For instance:
                > http://www.integre.com.tr/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_view&gid=6&Itemid=37(167K
                > PDF)
                >
                > BASF and Toyobo among others make ablative letterpress plates for these
                > systems. They are expensive and not used much (if at all) within our
                > community.
                >
                > Thanks
                > Harold
                >
                > On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 2:20 AM, bielerpr <Bieler@...> wrote:
                >

                > > Steve
                > >
                > > I don't know of any CTP yet configured for letterpress specifications.
                > >

                > --
                > ---
                > Boxcar Press
                > 501 W. Fayette St. #222
                > Syracuse, NY 13204
                > www.boxcarpress.com

              • Harold Kyle
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 4, 2009
                  Gerald:

                  Letterpress CTP plates are indeed available, and with the same specs as we
                  use. KF95 plates and KM95 plates are presently made in a version with an
                  ablative mask, as are the BASF WFH 95 (or whatever). I know that Toyobo was
                  willing to add an ablative mask to any of their letterpress plates upon
                  request. These cost roughly 10% more than conventional plates, sometimes
                  more. Because of the costs of the material (and also the 6-figure equipment
                  cost) which we'd have to pass along to our customers, we have not invested
                  in CTP technology quite yet.

                  Thanks
                  Harold

                  Boxcar Press