Cross Posted: LETPRESS Outage......

  • Lance Williams
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 30, 2009
      For those of you interested, and don't already know the cause:

      The LETPRESS list was locked down late Thursday due to excessive message traffic. A lively discussion on copyright law pushed the list over the 125 per day message limit, and it went into some sort of a lock down. From what I have been able to determine, someone at the University of New Brunswick (host site for LETPRESS) needs to release the list so it start functioning again. All messages that have been sent and not distributed should be sent out at that time.

      I have sent two email messages to Terry Oakes, who is the "list owner", but have not received a response as of yet. (Terry can be a little hard to get ahold of at times.) I also just left an email message with the IT department at UNB, so hopefully someone there will be able to reset things and get the list restarted (hopefully before Monday...)

      - Lance Williams
      Williams Stationery Co.
      Camden, New York
      APA #785

    • bielerpr
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 30, 2009
        Lance

        Yeah, Letpress imploded last night. Phenomenal. Quite the amazing co-intwined discussions. Reaching the absolute heights of stupidity, very engaging. I entered the fray late, sorry to hear later responses will be sent out :—)

        Gerald

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Lance Williams" <lwwill7999@...> wrote:

        > For those of you interested, and don't already know the cause:
        >
        > The LETPRESS list was locked down late Thursday due to excessive message traffic. A lively discussion on copyright law pushed the list over the 125 per day message limit, and it went into some sort of a lock down. From what I have been able to determine, someone at the University of New Brunswick (host site for LETPRESS) needs to release the list so it start functioning again. All messages that have been sent and not distributed should be sent out at that time.
        >
        > I have sent two email messages to Terry Oakes, who is the "list owner", but have not received a response as of yet. (Terry can be a little hard to get ahold of at times.) I also just left an email message with the IT department at UNB, so hopefully someone there will be able to reset things and get the list restarted (hopefully before Monday...)
        >
        > - Lance Williams
        > Williams Stationery Co.
        > Camden, New York
        > APA #785

      • Rich Hagopian
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 30, 2009
          Amazing.

          I wondered why all of a sudden everyone dropped the copyright thing;
          it didn't seem like the character of the list to just let it go. Ha!

          rich

          On Oct 31, 2009, at 12:08 AM, bielerpr wrote:

          > Lance
          >
          > Yeah, Letpress imploded last night. Phenomenal. Quite the amazing co-
          > intwined discussions. Reaching the absolute heights of stupidity,
          > very engaging. I entered the fray late, sorry to hear later

          > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Lance Williams"
          > <lwwill7999@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > For those of you interested, and don't already know the cause:
          > >
          > > The LETPRESS list was locked down late Thursday due to excessive
          > message traffic. A lively discussion on copyright law pushed the
          > list over the 125 per day message limit, and it went into some sort
          > of a lock down. From what I have been able to determine, someone at
          > the University of New Brunswick (host site for LETPRESS) needs to
          > release the list so it start functioning again. All messages that
          > have been sent and not distributed should be sent out at that time.
          > >
          > > I have sent two email messages to Terry Oakes, who is the "list
          > owner", but have not received a response as of yet. (Terry can be a
          > little hard to get ahold of at times.) I also just left an email
          > message with the IT department at UNB, so hopefully someone there
          > will be able to reset things and get the list restarted (hopefully
          > before Monday...)
          > >
          > > - Lance Williams
          > > Williams Stationery Co.
          > > Camden, New York
          > > APA #785

          rich hagopian
          www.onemangerpress.com
          onemangerpress@...

        • Bob Hopfner
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 30, 2009
            Wish I was still on that list, I'd love to read through that for either
            informational or entertainment. Maybe I should sign up again!

            > Lance
            >
            > Yeah, Letpress imploded last night. Phenomenal. Quite the amazing
            > co-intwined discussions. Reaching the absolute heights of stupidity,
            > very engaging. I entered the fray late, sorry to hear later responses
            > will be sent out :—)
            >
            > Gerald
            >
            > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
            > <mailto:PPLetterpress%40yahoogroups.com>, "Lance Williams"
            > <lwwill7999@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > For those of you interested, and don't already know the cause:
            > >
            > > The LETPRESS list was locked down late Thursday due to excessive
            > message traffic. A lively discussion on copyright law pushed the list
            > over the 125 per day message limit, and it went into some sort of a
            > lock down. From what I have been able to determine, someone at the
            > University of New Brunswick (host site for LETPRESS) needs to release
            > the list so it start functioning again. All messages that have been
            > sent and not distributed should be sent out at that time.
            > >
            > > I have sent two email messages to Terry Oakes, who is the "list
            > owner", but have not received a response as of yet. (Terry can be a
            > little hard to get ahold of at times.) I also just left an email
            > message with the IT department at UNB, so hopefully someone there will
            > be able to reset things and get the list restarted (hopefully before
            > Monday...)
            > >
            > > - Lance Williams
            > > Williams Stationery Co.
            > > Camden, New York
            > > APA #785

          • Michael Phillips
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 30, 2009
              Gerald, et al,

              Took whole day to realise most netters want me to ask first before sharing with non-netters. I have been asking permission but need to do it consistantly. I learnt a lot lasterday.

              I don't have a GED yet, but am learning much more about this. Since material is posted to the whole group like one would speak to a group in an auditorium, then I think it prudent, wise to ask permission thusly to the whole group to share with non-netters. After all, I might rise from my seat and ask the speaker if I may quote all the person said for the local weekly.

              And besides, it shows the whole group, on the net or in the auditorium, that I am asking for permission, and it may encourage others to grant permission.

              Mike

              The Printer

              To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
              From: Bieler@...
              Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 04:08:17 +0000
              Subject: [PPLetterpress] Re: Cross Posted: LETPRESS Outage......

              Lance

              Yeah, Letpress imploded last night. Phenomenal. Quite the amazing co-intwined discussions. Reaching the absolute heights of stupidity, very engaging. I entered the fray late, sorry to hear later responses will be sent out :�)

              Gerald

              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Lance Williams" <lwwill7999@...> wrote:

              > For those of you interested, and don't already know the cause:
              >
              > The LETPRESS list was locked down late Thursday due to excessive message traffic. A lively discussion on copyright law pushed the list over the 125 per day message limit, and it went into some sort of a lock down. From what I have been able to determine, someone at the University of New Brunswick (host site for LETPRESS) needs to release the list so it start functioning again. All messages that have been sent and not distributed should be sent out at that time.
              >
              > I have sent two email messages to Terry Oakes, who is the "list owner", but have not received a response as of yet. (Terry can be a little hard to get ahold of at times.) I also just left an email message with the IT department at UNB, so hopefully someone there will be able to reset things and get the list restarted (hopefully before Monday...)
              >
              > - Lance Williams
              > Williams Stationery Co.
              > Camden, New York
              > APA #785

            • bielerpr
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 30, 2009
                Michael

                I'm glad to hear from you and your considerations. Been a bit of water over the bridge between us regarding this but, seriously, there is no such thing as a non-netter anymore. Your publication does not exist because some folks are not able to access the internet, it exists because of what it is. I don't care that you reprint stuff that you probably shouldn't, that's just you; and it sort of is what makes The Printer unique and endearing in the end. Do your thing.

                Gerald

                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Michael Phillips <theprinter4918@...> wrote:

                > Gerald, et al,
                >
                > Took whole day to realise most netters want me to ask first before sharing with non-netters. I have been asking permission but need to do it consistantly. I learnt a lot lasterday.
                >
                > I don't have a GED yet, but am learning much more about this. Since material is posted to the whole group like one would speak to a group in an auditorium, then I think it prudent, wise to ask permission thusly to the whole group to share with non-netters. After all, I might rise from my seat and ask the speaker if I may quote all the person said for the local weekly.
                >
                > And besides, it shows the whole group, on the net or in the auditorium, that I am asking for permission, and it may encourage others to grant permission.
                >
                > Mike
                >
                > The Printer
                >

                > To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                > From: Bieler@...
                > Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 04:08:17 +0000
                > Subject: [PPLetterpress] Re: Cross Posted: LETPRESS Outage......
                >

                > Lance
                >
                > Yeah, Letpress imploded last night. Phenomenal. Quite the amazing co-intwined discussions. Reaching the absolute heights of stupidity, very engaging. I entered the fray late, sorry to hear later responses will be sent out :—)
                >
                > Gerald
                >
                > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Lance Williams" <lwwill7999@> wrote:
                > >
                > > For those of you interested, and don't already know the cause:
                > >
                > > The LETPRESS list was locked down late Thursday due to excessive message traffic. A lively discussion on copyright law pushed the list over the 125 per day message limit, and it went into some sort of a lock down. From what I have been able to determine, someone at the University of New Brunswick (host site for LETPRESS) needs to release the list so it start functioning again. All messages that have been sent and not distributed should be sent out at that time.
                > >
                > > I have sent two email messages to Terry Oakes, who is the "list owner", but have not received a response as of yet. (Terry can be a little hard to get ahold of at times.) I also just left an email message with the IT department at UNB, so hopefully someone there will be able to reset things and get the list restarted (hopefully before Monday...)
                > >
                > > - Lance Williams
                > > Williams Stationery Co.
                > > Camden, New York
                > > APA #785

              • Graham and Kathy
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 31, 2009
                  It was not useful information Bob, but certainly entertaining!

                  Graham Moss

                  Incline Press
                  36 Bow Street
                  Oldham OL1 1SJ England

                  http://www.inclinepress.com

                  On 31/10/09 04:26, "Bob Hopfner" <rhopfner@...> wrote:

                  > Wish I was still on that list, I'd love to read through that for either
                  > informational or entertainment. Maybe I should sign up again!
                • victoria kniering
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 31, 2009
                    HAH! thank you overload.... not only of the brain.
                    i was ready to shout "BOYS GO TO YOUR ROOMS",
                    As my delete button was working WAY overtime....and then POOF!
                    Well thanks Lance, it was serendipitous.

                    victoria

                    On Oct 31, 2009, at 12:11 AM, Rich Hagopian wrote:

                    > Amazing.
                    >
                    > I wondered why all of a sudden everyone dropped the copyright thing;
                    > it didn't seem like the character of the list to just let it go. Ha!
                    >
                    > rich
                    >
                    > On Oct 31, 2009, at 12:08 AM, bielerpr wrote:
                    >
                    >> Lance
                    >>
                    >> Yeah, Letpress imploded last night. Phenomenal. Quite the amazing co-
                    >> intwined discussions. Reaching the absolute heights of stupidity,
                    >> very engaging. I entered the fray late, sorry to hear later
                    >>
                    >> Gerald
                    >>
                    >> --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Lance Williams"
                    >> <lwwill7999@...> wrote:
                    >>>
                    >>> For those of you interested, and don't already know the cause:
                    >>>
                    >>> The LETPRESS list was locked down late Thursday due to excessive
                    >> message traffic. A lively discussion on copyright law pushed the
                    >> list over the 125 per day message limit, and it went into some sort
                    >> of a lock down. From what I have been able to determine, someone at
                    >> the University of New Brunswick (host site for LETPRESS) needs to
                    >> release the list so it start functioning again. All messages that
                    >> have been sent and not distributed should be sent out at that time.
                    >>>
                    >>> I have sent two email messages to Terry Oakes, who is the "list
                    >> owner", but have not received a response as of yet. (Terry can be a
                    >> little hard to get ahold of at times.) I also just left an email
                    >> message with the IT department at UNB, so hopefully someone there
                    >> will be able to reset things and get the list restarted (hopefully
                    >> before Monday...)
                    >>>
                    >>> - Lance Williams
                    >>> Williams Stationery Co.
                    >>> Camden, New York
                    >>> APA #785

                    > rich hagopian
                    > www.onemangerpress.com
                    > onemangerpress@...

                  • Lance Williams
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 31, 2009
                      Yeah,

                      I did my best to stay out of the discussions, but couldn't resist a couple
                      comments later in the evening just before the lock down.... Hopefully
                      someone at UNB will get things fixed ASAP. Here is the latest message I
                      got back from the ListServ when trying to post a message:

                      "The distribution of your message dated Thu, 29 Oct 2009 23:00:35 -0400 with
                      subject "Daily Message Limit Hit for LETPRESS (125 messages/day)" has been
                      postponed because the LETPRESS list is held. No action is required from you.
                      Your message will be reprocessed automatically once the list owner releases
                      the list."

                      The archives are still up and running, so anyone who wants to see what all
                      the hub-bub was about that closed down the LETPRESS list, check out the
                      archives at: https://listserv.unb.ca/archives/letpress.html (You do need to
                      register for the list and log in to view, however).

                      - Lance Williams
                      Williams Stationery Co.
                      Camden, New York
                      APA #785