Re: Roycroft Presses

  • author50401
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 28, 2009
      The photo Gary has directed us to is of a press in a small demonstration printshop on the current-day Roycroft Campus. I think you will find in looking further, that the Roycroft printing enterprise was using much larger equipment. If you take a look at an uncut Roycroft book, you will see that a single signature was printed on a very large sheet of paper. Hubbard himself speaks to this point in an essay which appeared in the "Philistine" (I believe 1903) when he says he went to the bank and borrowed money to buy a cylinder press, then, in order to pay off the loan, had to buy another cylinder press to increase the volume of printing, which required yet another trip to the bank. Of course, he said it much better than I could, but you get the meat of the message.

      They also use Colt Armory presses in the shop. If that Pearl is from the original shop, it was probably used for letterheads and business cards.

      John Henry
      Cedar Creek Press

    • richard@p22.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 28, 2009
        Shockingly, wikipedia is a bit inaccurate. The Pearl & C&P
        (and most if not all of the type) at the Roycroft shops
        now are not original to the site. They were local presses
        and printshop items donated to the Campus as part of the
        recent restorations. The presses are currently located in
        the Copper Shop building. There have been discussions of
        restoring the printshop...anyone interested in more info
        should ask Joe Weber who is on the Letpress list

        Richard
        http://www.wnybookarts.org/

      • Gary
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 30, 2009
          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, <richard@...> wrote:

          > Shockingly, wikipedia is a bit inaccurate. The Pearl & C&P
          > (and most if not all of the type) at the Roycroft shops
          > now are not original to the site. . . .

          ******* I guess I shouldn't be too surprised (sigh)

          My point was that the Pearls in discussion were capable of
          doing pretty impressive work. Unfortunately I chose - once
          again - a wiki source. But I went there because I had understood
          Roycroft to use the Pearl Improved, not from wikipedia, but
          from info I've come across when looking up origins of the
          Little Leather Library. I'll have to look into that again,
          perhaps the Pearls were part of the early production of those
          books.

          -gary