Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: LOOKING FOR A PRESS

  • engrossersscript@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 26, 2009
      Gary, thank you soooooooooooo much for the great advise, I think you are right. I would love to have a pearl. I am now saving to try to get one. I might ask you for some advise lol if I get one =) I am not sure if you know but I am a calligrapher, and one of my dreams is to get my calligraphy on a plate and do cards or invitations or designs (not so much for business) but I love the beautiful look of type set. How long have you been printing if you dont
      mind me asking?

      Thanks again for taking the time to commnet. Do you think it will be hard to ship a pearl?

      Leenah

      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 26, 2009
        Leenah,

        The 7 x 11 "Improved" Pearls are also great presses. They're not quite as cool and Victorian antiquey as the earlier models, but the improvement is that they have a throw off lever and are build a bit heftier.

        They're heavier and tougher to move. But if you take them off the base, and move the separate parts with the help of several strong friends, they will easily go through a regular 3 ft. wide doorway with ease. Years ago, I moved mine in my VW van with ease.

        Pearls were known as "Parlor Presses" because they could come through residential doorways into one's parlor. A lot of great writers and poets got started by printing their own works in their homes on small parlor presses like the Pearl.

        Best wishes,

        Steve Robison
        The Robison Press
        Belmont, CA - about 25 miles south of San Francisco
        robisonsteve@...

        > Gary, thank you soooooooooooo much for the great advise, I
        > think you are right. I would love to have a pearl. I am now
        > saving to try to get one. I might ask you for some advise
        > lol if I get one =) I am not sure if you know but I am a
        > calligrapher, and one of my dreams is to get my calligraphy
        > on a plate and do cards or invitations or designs (not so
        > much for business) but I love the beautiful look of type
        > set. How long have you been printing if you dont
        > mind me asking?
        >
        > Thanks again for taking the time to commnet. Do you think
        > it will be hard to ship a pearl?
        >
        > Leenah

      • Gary
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 27, 2009
          Yup. Another excellent suggestion.

          Both of these presses have separate bases, which
          makes it convenient, and have a small "footprint",
          so they take up little room. Plus built in storage.
          And you'd be surprised the work that can be done
          on a 7x11 format!

          Steve: I'm glad you used the term "Parlour Presses".
          Heh, I've called them that, but only as a guess. I
          did not know, in fact, that they were actually called
          such. Now I feel vindicated :>)

          Leenah: if you ever have a doubt as to the ability of
          the smaller Pearl OS or Improved ( the improved has
          the advantage of the rails travelling aside the ink
          disk, thus ensuring roller rotation, something found
          on the more sophisticated platen jobbers )- google the
          print shop of Roycroft Press. The Roycrofters movement
          began there, fostered by Elbert Hubbard, and co-incided
          with the latter 19th and early 20th century "Arts and
          Craft" movement. They printed marvellous products for
          a fairly lengthy span, publish pieces, I think the 'Little
          Leather Library' got it's inspiration, it not it's very
          start there. That's another story.

          ONE press was used, the 7x11 Golding Improved, vid:

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Roycroft_printing_press.jpg

          . . . it's still there.

          Google around and check out the incredible work spawned
          by the Press at Roycroft (Elbert Hubbard)

          So there ya go! Suggestion and History lesson. Hee.

          The coolest thing about these old presses is the legacy
          they carry with them!

          -gary

          G. Johanson, Settlement Printer
          Florida Pioneer Settlement for the Creative Arts
          Barberville / Deltona, Florida.

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Steve Robison <robisonsteve@...> wrote:

          > Leenah,
          >
          > The 7 x 11 "Improved" Pearls are also great presses. They're not quite as cool and Victorian antiquey as the earlier models, but the improvement is that they have a throw off lever and are build a bit heftier.
          >
          > They're heavier and tougher to move. But if you take them off the base, and move the separate parts with the help of several strong friends, they will easily go through a regular 3 ft. wide doorway with ease. Years ago, I moved mine in my VW van with ease.
          >
          > Pearls were known as "Parlor Presses" because they could come through residential doorways into one's parlor. A lot of great writers and poets got started by printing their own works in their homes on small parlor presses like the Pearl.
          >
          > Best wishes,
          >
          > Steve Robison
          > The Robison Press
          > Belmont, CA - about 25 miles south of San Francisco
          > robisonsteve@...
        • author50401
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 28, 2009
            The photo Gary has directed us to is of a press in a small demonstration printshop on the current-day Roycroft Campus. I think you will find in looking further, that the Roycroft printing enterprise was using much larger equipment. If you take a look at an uncut Roycroft book, you will see that a single signature was printed on a very large sheet of paper. Hubbard himself speaks to this point in an essay which appeared in the "Philistine" (I believe 1903) when he says he went to the bank and borrowed money to buy a cylinder press, then, in order to pay off the loan, had to buy another cylinder press to increase the volume of printing, which required yet another trip to the bank. Of course, he said it much better than I could, but you get the meat of the message.

            They also use Colt Armory presses in the shop. If that Pearl is from the original shop, it was probably used for letterheads and business cards.

            John Henry
            Cedar Creek Press

          • richard@p22.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 28, 2009
              Shockingly, wikipedia is a bit inaccurate. The Pearl & C&P
              (and most if not all of the type) at the Roycroft shops
              now are not original to the site. They were local presses
              and printshop items donated to the Campus as part of the
              recent restorations. The presses are currently located in
              the Copper Shop building. There have been discussions of
              restoring the printshop...anyone interested in more info
              should ask Joe Weber who is on the Letpress list

              Richard
              http://www.wnybookarts.org/

            • Gary
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 30, 2009
                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, <richard@...> wrote:

                > Shockingly, wikipedia is a bit inaccurate. The Pearl & C&P
                > (and most if not all of the type) at the Roycroft shops
                > now are not original to the site. . . .

                ******* I guess I shouldn't be too surprised (sigh)

                My point was that the Pearls in discussion were capable of
                doing pretty impressive work. Unfortunately I chose - once
                again - a wiki source. But I went there because I had understood
                Roycroft to use the Pearl Improved, not from wikipedia, but
                from info I've come across when looking up origins of the
                Little Leather Library. I'll have to look into that again,
                perhaps the Pearls were part of the early production of those
                books.

                -gary