Re: [PPLetterpress] LOOKING FOR A PRESS

  • engrossersscript@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 19 7:34 PM
      hello and thank you for the kind response. Sorry I have a small apt. That will be too HUGE for me =(

      Leenah

      Date: Monday, October 19, 2009 1:52:55 pm

      To: PPLetterpress@ yahoogroups. com

      From: engrossersscript@ aol.com

      Subject: [PPLetterpress] LOOKING FOR A PRESS

      Hey everyone! My name is Leenah, I am looking for a press at least a 5 x 8. My bf and I are separating right now and he is taking both the dogs so from now on I am all by myself (the dogs love him too much so I have to do this for my babies) I dnt have much money but I can make payments! I live alone and dnt even have a damn car lol but I am artist and it has been my dream to have a press for a long time! If I dnt ask then I will never have one! If any of you have a press that are thinking about selling or want to get rid of please please let me know =)

      Thanks and sorry if the message is a bit too personal,

      Leenah

    • Gary
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 26 8:19 AM
        Leenah, some may disagree, but I would look for
        an Old Series Pearl 7x11 Model 3. They are still
        somewhat plentiful - in that I see them offered
        from time to time. Here's why:

        1-small floor space.
        2-light enough to haul up a flight of stairs
        3-small enough to fit in a small station wagon
        4-actually capable of production. Not a handpress.
        5-not complex, a quite simple design, actually.
        6-one of the prettiest presses ever made!
        7-treadle permits a speed you are comfortable with.

        Downside:

        1-It IS a smaller press with lighter castings.
        NOT a debossing machine, but good for fine typography.
        2-No throw-out (unless added - I hold most of those types
        of conversions suspect.)
        3-Chases are harder to find. But alternatives are possible.
        4-Rollers may cost a bit more for cores and trucks.

        I would expect to shell out at least a grand for one, but
        IMHO, it's worth it for an apartment dweller. I use mine
        as a "second" press supplimenting my heavier motorised
        Gordon Platen. I do woodcuts and linocuts with it.

        Anyway, just a suggestion from a Pearl owner. They have
        their limitations as all smaller presses, but you can do
        some great work on 'em. Boxcar deep relief bases are
        available for it, too.

        Note: I might pass on the 5x8 Pearl unless you get an unusually
        good deal. Unless you are happy with the limited size for
        hobby use, the larger sizes will be more serviceable, and the
        larger the press, the heavier the castings, usually. Very
        true with the OS 5x8 Pearl.

        -gary

      • engrossersscript@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 26 6:53 PM
          Gary, thank you soooooooooooo much for the great advise, I think you are right. I would love to have a pearl. I am now saving to try to get one. I might ask you for some advise lol if I get one =) I am not sure if you know but I am a calligrapher, and one of my dreams is to get my calligraphy on a plate and do cards or invitations or designs (not so much for business) but I love the beautiful look of type set. How long have you been printing if you dont
          mind me asking?

          Thanks again for taking the time to commnet. Do you think it will be hard to ship a pearl?

          Leenah

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 26 11:51 PM
            Leenah,

            The 7 x 11 "Improved" Pearls are also great presses. They're not quite as cool and Victorian antiquey as the earlier models, but the improvement is that they have a throw off lever and are build a bit heftier.

            They're heavier and tougher to move. But if you take them off the base, and move the separate parts with the help of several strong friends, they will easily go through a regular 3 ft. wide doorway with ease. Years ago, I moved mine in my VW van with ease.

            Pearls were known as "Parlor Presses" because they could come through residential doorways into one's parlor. A lot of great writers and poets got started by printing their own works in their homes on small parlor presses like the Pearl.

            Best wishes,

            Steve Robison
            The Robison Press
            Belmont, CA - about 25 miles south of San Francisco
            robisonsteve@...

            > Gary, thank you soooooooooooo much for the great advise, I
            > think you are right. I would love to have a pearl. I am now
            > saving to try to get one. I might ask you for some advise
            > lol if I get one =) I am not sure if you know but I am a
            > calligrapher, and one of my dreams is to get my calligraphy
            > on a plate and do cards or invitations or designs (not so
            > much for business) but I love the beautiful look of type
            > set. How long have you been printing if you dont
            > mind me asking?
            >
            > Thanks again for taking the time to commnet. Do you think
            > it will be hard to ship a pearl?
            >
            > Leenah

          • Gary
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 27 8:45 AM
              Yup. Another excellent suggestion.

              Both of these presses have separate bases, which
              makes it convenient, and have a small "footprint",
              so they take up little room. Plus built in storage.
              And you'd be surprised the work that can be done
              on a 7x11 format!

              Steve: I'm glad you used the term "Parlour Presses".
              Heh, I've called them that, but only as a guess. I
              did not know, in fact, that they were actually called
              such. Now I feel vindicated :>)

              Leenah: if you ever have a doubt as to the ability of
              the smaller Pearl OS or Improved ( the improved has
              the advantage of the rails travelling aside the ink
              disk, thus ensuring roller rotation, something found
              on the more sophisticated platen jobbers )- google the
              print shop of Roycroft Press. The Roycrofters movement
              began there, fostered by Elbert Hubbard, and co-incided
              with the latter 19th and early 20th century "Arts and
              Craft" movement. They printed marvellous products for
              a fairly lengthy span, publish pieces, I think the 'Little
              Leather Library' got it's inspiration, it not it's very
              start there. That's another story.

              ONE press was used, the 7x11 Golding Improved, vid:

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Roycroft_printing_press.jpg

              . . . it's still there.

              Google around and check out the incredible work spawned
              by the Press at Roycroft (Elbert Hubbard)

              So there ya go! Suggestion and History lesson. Hee.

              The coolest thing about these old presses is the legacy
              they carry with them!

              -gary

              G. Johanson, Settlement Printer
              Florida Pioneer Settlement for the Creative Arts
              Barberville / Deltona, Florida.

              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Steve Robison <robisonsteve@...> wrote:

              > Leenah,
              >
              > The 7 x 11 "Improved" Pearls are also great presses. They're not quite as cool and Victorian antiquey as the earlier models, but the improvement is that they have a throw off lever and are build a bit heftier.
              >
              > They're heavier and tougher to move. But if you take them off the base, and move the separate parts with the help of several strong friends, they will easily go through a regular 3 ft. wide doorway with ease. Years ago, I moved mine in my VW van with ease.
              >
              > Pearls were known as "Parlor Presses" because they could come through residential doorways into one's parlor. A lot of great writers and poets got started by printing their own works in their homes on small parlor presses like the Pearl.
              >
              > Best wishes,
              >
              > Steve Robison
              > The Robison Press
              > Belmont, CA - about 25 miles south of San Francisco
              > robisonsteve@...
            • author50401
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 28 5:59 AM
                The photo Gary has directed us to is of a press in a small demonstration printshop on the current-day Roycroft Campus. I think you will find in looking further, that the Roycroft printing enterprise was using much larger equipment. If you take a look at an uncut Roycroft book, you will see that a single signature was printed on a very large sheet of paper. Hubbard himself speaks to this point in an essay which appeared in the "Philistine" (I believe 1903) when he says he went to the bank and borrowed money to buy a cylinder press, then, in order to pay off the loan, had to buy another cylinder press to increase the volume of printing, which required yet another trip to the bank. Of course, he said it much better than I could, but you get the meat of the message.

                They also use Colt Armory presses in the shop. If that Pearl is from the original shop, it was probably used for letterheads and business cards.

                John Henry
                Cedar Creek Press

              • richard@p22.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 28 7:58 AM
                  Shockingly, wikipedia is a bit inaccurate. The Pearl & C&P
                  (and most if not all of the type) at the Roycroft shops
                  now are not original to the site. They were local presses
                  and printshop items donated to the Campus as part of the
                  recent restorations. The presses are currently located in
                  the Copper Shop building. There have been discussions of
                  restoring the printshop...anyone interested in more info
                  should ask Joe Weber who is on the Letpress list

                  Richard
                  http://www.wnybookarts.org/

                • Gary
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 30 4:31 AM
                    --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, <richard@...> wrote:

                    > Shockingly, wikipedia is a bit inaccurate. The Pearl & C&P
                    > (and most if not all of the type) at the Roycroft shops
                    > now are not original to the site. . . .

                    ******* I guess I shouldn't be too surprised (sigh)

                    My point was that the Pearls in discussion were capable of
                    doing pretty impressive work. Unfortunately I chose - once
                    again - a wiki source. But I went there because I had understood
                    Roycroft to use the Pearl Improved, not from wikipedia, but
                    from info I've come across when looking up origins of the
                    Little Leather Library. I'll have to look into that again,
                    perhaps the Pearls were part of the early production of those
                    books.

                    -gary