Looking for contacts from Heritage Press and Franklin Library

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 19, 2009
      A colleague asks if anyone knows of anyone associated with the Heritage Press circa 1960's or Franklin Library circa 1982? If so, please contact Paul Razzell at NAEditor@....
    • engrossersscript@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 19, 2009
        Hey everyone! My name is Leenah, I am looking for a press at least a 5 x 8. My bf and I are separating right now and he is taking both the dogs so from now on I am all by myself (the dogs love him too much so I have to do this for my babies) I dnt have much money but I can make payments! I live alone and dnt even have a damn car lol but I am artist and it has been my dream to have a press for a long time! If I dnt ask then I will never have one! If any of you have a press that are thinking about selling or want to get rid of please please let me know =)

        Thanks and sorry if the message is a bit too personal,

        Leenah

      • Greg Prey
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 19, 2009
          I have one in wisconsin, where are you located? Greg

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 19, 2009
            Sorry I forgot to say I am in Houston, Tx =(

            I have one in wisconsin, where are you located? Greg

            Hey everyone! My name is Leenah, I am looking for a press at least a 5 x 8. My bf and I are separating right now and he is taking both the dogs so from now on I am all by myself (the dogs love him too much so I have to do this for my babies) I dnt have much money but I can make payments! I live alone and dnt even have a damn car lol but I am artist and it has been my dream to have a press for a long time! If I dnt ask then I will never have one! If any of you have a press that are thinking about selling or want to get rid of please please let me know =)

            Thanks and sorry if the message is a bit too personal,

            Leenah

          • Jennifer Lee
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 19, 2009
              Hi,

              I am looking to sell my Heidelberg Press 10 x 15.  Is this the type you are looking for?  It is in great condition, I purchased it last year with help/advice from a printer who's letterpressed the last 20 years.  He inspected it before I bought it, made sure everything was in proper working conditon and well maintained.  In addition, I have maintained and taken good care of it for the year that I have owned it.

              I am located in Fullerton, Ca.  If you are interested, I also have a large printer's table (with slide out shelves), furniture, and other printing accessories/tools that I can include in the sale.

              For anyone interested, please send me an email separately from the PPL thread.  I can be reached at jenlee211@....  I can give you more details - Thank you!

              Also, the dealer I purchased the press from has several ppl he works with regularly to transport presses so I can help with that too.

              Sincerely,
              Jenny Lee

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 19, 2009
                hello and thank you for the kind response. Sorry I have a small apt. That will be too HUGE for me =(

                Leenah

                Date: Monday, October 19, 2009 1:52:55 pm

                To: PPLetterpress@ yahoogroups. com

                From: engrossersscript@ aol.com

                Hey everyone! My name is Leenah, I am looking for a press at least a 5 x 8. My bf and I are separating right now and he is taking both the dogs so from now on I am all by myself (the dogs love him too much so I have to do this for my babies) I dnt have much money but I can make payments! I live alone and dnt even have a damn car lol but I am artist and it has been my dream to have a press for a long time! If I dnt ask then I will never have one! If any of you have a press that are thinking about selling or want to get rid of please please let me know =)

                Thanks and sorry if the message is a bit too personal,

                Leenah

              • Gary
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 26, 2009
                  Leenah, some may disagree, but I would look for
                  an Old Series Pearl 7x11 Model 3. They are still
                  somewhat plentiful - in that I see them offered
                  from time to time. Here's why:

                  1-small floor space.
                  2-light enough to haul up a flight of stairs
                  3-small enough to fit in a small station wagon
                  4-actually capable of production. Not a handpress.
                  5-not complex, a quite simple design, actually.
                  6-one of the prettiest presses ever made!
                  7-treadle permits a speed you are comfortable with.

                  Downside:

                  1-It IS a smaller press with lighter castings.
                  NOT a debossing machine, but good for fine typography.
                  2-No throw-out (unless added - I hold most of those types
                  of conversions suspect.)
                  3-Chases are harder to find. But alternatives are possible.
                  4-Rollers may cost a bit more for cores and trucks.

                  I would expect to shell out at least a grand for one, but
                  IMHO, it's worth it for an apartment dweller. I use mine
                  as a "second" press supplimenting my heavier motorised
                  Gordon Platen. I do woodcuts and linocuts with it.

                  Anyway, just a suggestion from a Pearl owner. They have
                  their limitations as all smaller presses, but you can do
                  some great work on 'em. Boxcar deep relief bases are
                  available for it, too.

                  Note: I might pass on the 5x8 Pearl unless you get an unusually
                  good deal. Unless you are happy with the limited size for
                  hobby use, the larger sizes will be more serviceable, and the
                  larger the press, the heavier the castings, usually. Very
                  true with the OS 5x8 Pearl.

                  -gary

                • engrossersscript@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 26, 2009
                    Gary, thank you soooooooooooo much for the great advise, I think you are right. I would love to have a pearl. I am now saving to try to get one. I might ask you for some advise lol if I get one =) I am not sure if you know but I am a calligrapher, and one of my dreams is to get my calligraphy on a plate and do cards or invitations or designs (not so much for business) but I love the beautiful look of type set. How long have you been printing if you dont
                    mind me asking?

                    Thanks again for taking the time to commnet. Do you think it will be hard to ship a pearl?

                    Leenah

                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 26, 2009
                      Leenah,

                      The 7 x 11 "Improved" Pearls are also great presses. They're not quite as cool and Victorian antiquey as the earlier models, but the improvement is that they have a throw off lever and are build a bit heftier.

                      They're heavier and tougher to move. But if you take them off the base, and move the separate parts with the help of several strong friends, they will easily go through a regular 3 ft. wide doorway with ease. Years ago, I moved mine in my VW van with ease.

                      Pearls were known as "Parlor Presses" because they could come through residential doorways into one's parlor. A lot of great writers and poets got started by printing their own works in their homes on small parlor presses like the Pearl.

                      Best wishes,

                      Steve Robison
                      The Robison Press
                      Belmont, CA - about 25 miles south of San Francisco
                      robisonsteve@...

                      > Gary, thank you soooooooooooo much for the great advise, I
                      > think you are right. I would love to have a pearl. I am now
                      > saving to try to get one. I might ask you for some advise
                      > lol if I get one =) I am not sure if you know but I am a
                      > calligrapher, and one of my dreams is to get my calligraphy
                      > on a plate and do cards or invitations or designs (not so
                      > much for business) but I love the beautiful look of type
                      > set. How long have you been printing if you dont
                      > mind me asking?
                      >
                      > Thanks again for taking the time to commnet. Do you think
                      > it will be hard to ship a pearl?
                      >
                      > Leenah

                    • Gary
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 27, 2009
                        Yup. Another excellent suggestion.

                        Both of these presses have separate bases, which
                        makes it convenient, and have a small "footprint",
                        so they take up little room. Plus built in storage.
                        And you'd be surprised the work that can be done
                        on a 7x11 format!

                        Steve: I'm glad you used the term "Parlour Presses".
                        Heh, I've called them that, but only as a guess. I
                        did not know, in fact, that they were actually called
                        such. Now I feel vindicated :>)

                        Leenah: if you ever have a doubt as to the ability of
                        the smaller Pearl OS or Improved ( the improved has
                        the advantage of the rails travelling aside the ink
                        disk, thus ensuring roller rotation, something found
                        on the more sophisticated platen jobbers )- google the
                        print shop of Roycroft Press. The Roycrofters movement
                        began there, fostered by Elbert Hubbard, and co-incided
                        with the latter 19th and early 20th century "Arts and
                        Craft" movement. They printed marvellous products for
                        a fairly lengthy span, publish pieces, I think the 'Little
                        Leather Library' got it's inspiration, it not it's very
                        start there. That's another story.

                        ONE press was used, the 7x11 Golding Improved, vid:

                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Roycroft_printing_press.jpg

                        . . . it's still there.

                        Google around and check out the incredible work spawned
                        by the Press at Roycroft (Elbert Hubbard)

                        So there ya go! Suggestion and History lesson. Hee.

                        The coolest thing about these old presses is the legacy
                        they carry with them!

                        -gary

                        G. Johanson, Settlement Printer
                        Florida Pioneer Settlement for the Creative Arts
                        Barberville / Deltona, Florida.

                        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Steve Robison <robisonsteve@...> wrote:

                        > Leenah,
                        >
                        > The 7 x 11 "Improved" Pearls are also great presses. They're not quite as cool and Victorian antiquey as the earlier models, but the improvement is that they have a throw off lever and are build a bit heftier.
                        >
                        > They're heavier and tougher to move. But if you take them off the base, and move the separate parts with the help of several strong friends, they will easily go through a regular 3 ft. wide doorway with ease. Years ago, I moved mine in my VW van with ease.
                        >
                        > Pearls were known as "Parlor Presses" because they could come through residential doorways into one's parlor. A lot of great writers and poets got started by printing their own works in their homes on small parlor presses like the Pearl.
                        >
                        > Best wishes,
                        >
                        > Steve Robison
                        > The Robison Press
                        > Belmont, CA - about 25 miles south of San Francisco
                        > robisonsteve@...
                      • author50401
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 28, 2009
                          The photo Gary has directed us to is of a press in a small demonstration printshop on the current-day Roycroft Campus. I think you will find in looking further, that the Roycroft printing enterprise was using much larger equipment. If you take a look at an uncut Roycroft book, you will see that a single signature was printed on a very large sheet of paper. Hubbard himself speaks to this point in an essay which appeared in the "Philistine" (I believe 1903) when he says he went to the bank and borrowed money to buy a cylinder press, then, in order to pay off the loan, had to buy another cylinder press to increase the volume of printing, which required yet another trip to the bank. Of course, he said it much better than I could, but you get the meat of the message.

                          They also use Colt Armory presses in the shop. If that Pearl is from the original shop, it was probably used for letterheads and business cards.

                          John Henry
                          Cedar Creek Press

                        • richard@p22.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 28, 2009
                            Shockingly, wikipedia is a bit inaccurate. The Pearl & C&P
                            (and most if not all of the type) at the Roycroft shops
                            now are not original to the site. They were local presses
                            and printshop items donated to the Campus as part of the
                            recent restorations. The presses are currently located in
                            the Copper Shop building. There have been discussions of
                            restoring the printshop...anyone interested in more info
                            should ask Joe Weber who is on the Letpress list

                            Richard
                            http://www.wnybookarts.org/

                          • Gary
                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 30, 2009
                              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, <richard@...> wrote:

                              > Shockingly, wikipedia is a bit inaccurate. The Pearl & C&P
                              > (and most if not all of the type) at the Roycroft shops
                              > now are not original to the site. . . .

                              ******* I guess I shouldn't be too surprised (sigh)

                              My point was that the Pearls in discussion were capable of
                              doing pretty impressive work. Unfortunately I chose - once
                              again - a wiki source. But I went there because I had understood
                              Roycroft to use the Pearl Improved, not from wikipedia, but
                              from info I've come across when looking up origins of the
                              Little Leather Library. I'll have to look into that again,
                              perhaps the Pearls were part of the early production of those
                              books.

                              -gary