RE: [PPLetterpress] Service bureau question

  • Mats Broberg
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 3, 2002
      > My question is: Are folks still experiencing problems with
      > this software and OpenType settings at service bureaus?. If
      > so, is it best to generate as a PDF? (best to generate as PDF
      > anyway?) and if so, any recommendations as to PDF settings
      > for high-end output?

      Gerald,

      With ver. 2.0.1, InDesign is pretty stable and accepted by most service
      bureaus on this side of the puddle, although many bureaus are switching
      entirely to PDF workflows anyway, since trapping & four-colour
      separation is supported and the embedding of typefaces and high-res
      images make life alot easier. However, be cautious if you make
      last-minute corrections in the PDF file itself. Although this is a
      feature Adobe talks alot about, I've heard more than once that Acrobat
      makes incorrect extraction of the typeface that makes the new word set
      in a default system typeface, despite correct embedding (no subsetting).

      Regarding PDF settings, I would recommend installing the Distiller
      printer and use it for all jobs. It features a few different default
      *.joboption files - Screen, Print, eBook and Press etc., and a good
      start is the Press *.joboption. However, it needs some tweaking since
      some of the settings are on the low side. For example, all line drawings
      above 1800 dpi are downsampled to 1200 dpi, which I don't think is
      enough for high-quality imagesetter negatives. Grayscale images are
      downsampled to 300 dpi which would be sufficient for 150 lpi screening -
      sufficient when printing grayscales from photpolymer plates but not e.g.
      waterless offset.

      Best regards,
      Mats Broberg

      Stockholm, Sweden