Where do I begin?

  • CarmenStaysFly
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 17, 2009
      Hi all! My name is Carmen. I originally started off as an event planner and designer. One day I ran across a documentary on Letterpress, and I have been intrigued ever since. As a newbie, I have read every blog and resource out there from briarpress to coloredprintingpad. For some reason I'm not having any luck finding any letterpress machines in my area. Does anyone have any suggestions of where I should be looking and also any resources I should be reading?

      PS. How much is too much to pay for a letterpress machine?
    • Scott Rubel
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 18, 2009
        No particular resources I can think of. Put in an auto alert on e-bay
        for machines in your area. Try to find good deals, because hiring
        someone to move it will cost between $300 - $1,500 over whatever you
        pay, then you may still need rollers. -Scott

        On Sep 17, 2009, at 9:26 PM, CarmenStaysFly wrote:

        > Hi all! My name is Carmen. I originally started off as an event
        > planner and designer. One day I ran across a documentary on
        > Letterpress, and I have been intrigued ever since. As a newbie, I
        > have read every blog and resource out there from briarpress to
        > coloredprintingpad. For some reason I'm not having any luck finding
        > any letterpress machines in my area. Does anyone have any
        > suggestions of where I should be looking and also any resources I
        > should be reading?
        >
        > PS. How much is too much to pay for a letterpress machine?

      • Greg Prey
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 18, 2009
          Where do you live, i bought my C&P for 600 in wisconsin. Would consider selling do not use much at this time.
          Greg

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 18, 2009
            I actually live in Dallas, Texas. The colleges here dont offer classes in Letterpress. There are tons of Letterpress boutiques, but when you go in and ask them questions about the technique or where i should begin; they get very uptight. I even had one shop owner tell me. "I don't teach letterpress and I don't offer my resources. This is a very competitive business. Good luck finding someone who will." After that; I'm pretty much in a state of frustration and being overwhelmed. I guess it's just the area I'm in.

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 18, 2009
              If you ever get to wisconsin let know i can show you how the press works.

              Greg
              1-414-243-2839
              brauey.com

            • engrossersscript@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 18, 2009
                Hi Carmen I am in the same state as you are and also had the same problems =) I WOULD LOVE to be in Wisconsin right about now! lol We have a great printing museum here in Houston, they have tons of letterpress machines there that one can go and play with (if you belong to the Printers Guild which is like 15 dollars a year and they are great) we meet on the first Sat of the month (most of the times) unless is holiday or so then the second Sat of the month. Look around your area maybe you have a museum as well or a guild. Some of the folks in there dnt do this as business so they are pretty ok with teaching u a few things. If you find one then let me know because I would love to find one that is not 3000 dollars! lol

                I hope this helps you!

                Leenah

                Houston Tx

                I actually live in Dallas, Texas. The colleges here dont offer classes in Letterpress. There are tons of Letterpress boutiques, but when you go in and ask them questions about the technique or where i should begin; they get very uptight. I even had one shop owner tell me. "I don't teach letterpress and I don't offer my resources. This is a very competitive business. Good luck finding someone who will." After that; I'm pretty much in a state of frustration and being overwhelmed. I guess it's just the area I'm in.

                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Prey" <brauey@...> wrote:

                > Where do you live, i bought my C&P for 600 in wisconsin. Would consider selling do not use much at this time.
                > Greg

              • CaseyM
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 19, 2009
                  Carmen,

                  I'm up in McKinney, TX and give workshops on Saturdays from 9 am - 4 pm. Send me an email for more information.

                  There are 5 other letterpress printer/designer shops in Dallas and I don't think you visited them about a workshop. You may have gone to commercial printers. There is one lady that is very uptight and she only sells retail with here press work. I can share any information you need.

                  There is a school that will be teaching letterpress printing in the spring semester in downtown Dallas. I can share more information when you email me about the workshop.

                  Casey
                  Inky Lips Letterpress
                  casey@...