Re: [PPLetterpress] photopolymer plate newbie

  • Harold Kyle
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 17, 2009
      A PDF from Word is not ideal, but it will work in a pinch if everything is
      set up in black ink. Multiple colors don't work well from Word and also Word
      doesn't kern typefaces well (the letters don't fit together as well as they
      would in a graphic design program).
      We usually recommend that customers eventually purchase Adobe Illustrator
      (or a similar graphic design program) to produce better plates--certainly
      that's the most common program used for creating photopolymer plates.
      Photoshop is appropriate for vector images (for instance from a scanner) but
      Illustrator is better for setting type and for drawing vector images. The
      learning curve on these programs will be a little steep if you haven't used
      them before, so in the meantime, as long as your Word PDF is 100% black,
      we should be able to use it.
      I hope this helps!
      Harold

      --
      ---
      Boxcar Press

    • amanda.dimitrov
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 17, 2009
        This is very helpful! Thanks so much for the quick response!
        ~A

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Harold Kyle <harold@...> wrote:

        > A PDF from Word is not ideal, but it will work in a pinch if everything is
        > set up in black ink. Multiple colors don't work well from Word and also Word
        > doesn't kern typefaces well (the letters don't fit together as well as they
        > would in a graphic design program).
        > We usually recommend that customers eventually purchase Adobe Illustrator
        > (or a similar graphic design program) to produce better plates--certainly
        > that's the most common program used for creating photopolymer plates.
        > Photoshop is appropriate for vector images (for instance from a scanner) but
        > Illustrator is better for setting type and for drawing vector images. The
        > learning curve on these programs will be a little steep if you haven't used
        > them before, so in the meantime, as long as your Word PDF is 100% black,
        > we should be able to use it.
        > I hope this helps!
        > Harold
        >
        > --
        > ---
        > Boxcar Press
        > 501 W. Fayette St. #222
        > Syracuse, NY 13204
        > www.boxcarpress.com

      • Scott Rubel
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 17, 2009
          I create almost everything with InDesign and sometimes Illustrator, when
          making plates. These programs allow me to manipulate type and render it
          about as close to the way it should be as you can get. You need at least
          Illustrator and a decent collection of fonts.

          Adobe's current licensing restrictions are pretty harsh, though. They
          won't both you if you only use one or two computers, but these programs
          are still expensive if you are just starting out and didn't plan on
          acquiring them. Even though I own all this stuff, I haven't been
          upgrading for the last couple of years, and if I had to start over I
          would consider some alternatives.

          For instance, I am pretty certain that Adobe Elements or Photoshop Lite
          may let me do all the tricks I currently do with Photoshop, and I would
          not miss whatever it is that is missing in the lite version.

          Also, I have been told about a shareware photo manipulator called The
          Gimp. Once again, I am passing along news I have not first hand
          knowledge of, but if I were starting out today, I'd play around with
          that before laying out the dough for Photoshop. <http://gimp.org>

          Similarly, I would try a shareware alternative to Illustrator, like
          Lineform or Inkscape.
          http://applezoom.com/2007/07/12/cheap-alternative-to-adobe-illustrator-for-mac-os-x
          I do not know how they handle type, though, so I look forward to hearing
          about all these from personal experience.

          --Scott

        • engrossersscript@aol.com
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 17, 2009
            I am?a calligrapher - so what if I want to write my own script and scan it... can anyone give me some advise as to what resolution to scan it or if its even possible! =( I dnt have a machine YET but I am getting ready!

            Leenah

            Houston, Tx

            This is very helpful! Thanks so much for the quick response!
            ~A

            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Harold Kyle <harold@...> wrote:

            > A PDF from Word is not ideal, but it will work in a pinch if everything is
            > set up in black ink. Multiple colors don't work well from Word and also Word
            > doesn't kern typefaces well (the letters don't fit together as well as they
            > would in a graphic design program).
            > We usually recommend that customers eventually purchase Adobe Illustrator
            > (or a similar graphic design program) to produce better plates--certainly
            > that's the most common program used for creating photopolymer plates.
            > Photoshop is appropriate for vector images (for instance from a scanner) but
            > Illustrator is better for setting type and for drawing vector images. The
            > learning curve on these programs will be a little steep if you haven't used
            > them before, so in the meantime, as long as your Word PDF is 100% black,
            > we should be able to use it.
            > I hope this helps!
            > Harold
            >
            > --
            > ---
            > Boxcar Press
            > 501 W. Fayette St. #222
            > Syracuse, NY 13204
            > www.boxcarpress.com

          • Visualpropaganda
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 17, 2009
              Hello Amanda,

              Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop are the big names in the Graphic
              Design Market. They have a lot of features. And they are quite
              expensive.
              But they are by no means necessary to make your design. You can do it
              in Word if you have to (I wouldn't), you could even draw your designs
              and have them scanned. But as Scott mentioned there are also a few
              free vector and bitmap editing apps, that can give you most of the
              main-features of Illustrator or InDesign:

              The Gimp (Bitmap/Picture-Editing): http://www.gimp.org/

              Inkscape (Vector): http://www.inkscape.org/

              If you need fonts for your designs, there are a lot of free fonts that
              are really high quality and beautyfull. A good start to look for fonts
              is:
              http://www.dafont.com/

              If you want script fonts, check:
              http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=601

              Also a lot of font-designer give away some of their fonts for free.
              For example
              Jos Buivenga (exljibris): http://www.josbuivenga.demon.nl/index.html

              I used Calluna regular, which he gives away for free for a card design
              for my sister.

              Hope that get's you started. All the best
              Mirko

            • foofnik79
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 17, 2009
                i scan my calligraphy in at 600 dpi. make sure the dots on all of the i's, j's, etc. are large enough that they don't get lost. make sure the artwork is 100% black and change it to a bitmap for ordering. check your hairlines and dots again in bitmap format. that's it!

                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, engrossersscript@... wrote:

                > I am?a calligrapher - so what if I want to write my own script and scan it... can anyone give me some advise as to what resolution to scan it or if its even possible! =( I dnt have a machine YET but I am getting ready!
                >

                > Leenah
                >
                > Houston, Tx

              • Scott Rubel
                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 17, 2009
                  1200 dpi if the lines are thin. Then you may have to play with
                  contrast and then turn into a bitmap to be sure the black is really
                  black. It may look black on your monitor, but the negative will
                  develop as a screen if it's not 100%.

                  --Scott

                • engrossersscript@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 17, 2009
                    Thank you all soooooooooooo very much for taking the time to answer my question! I really really appreciate it. I can not wait to show you guys how it comes out when I do it.

                    1200 dpi if the lines are thin. Then you may have to play with
                    contrast and then turn into a bitmap to be sure the black is really
                    black. It may look black on your monitor, but the negative will
                    develop as a screen if it's not 100%.

                    --Scott

                    On Sep 17, 2009, at 4:31 PM, foofnik79 wrote:

                    > i scan my calligraphy in at 600 dpi. make sure the dots on all of
                    > the i's, j's, etc. are large enough that they don't get lost. make
                    > sure the artwork is 100% black and change it to a bitmap for
                    > ordering. check your hairlines and dots again in bitmap format.
                    > that's it!
                    >
                    > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, engrossersscript@... wrote:
                    >>

                    >> I am?a calligrapher - so what if I want to write my own script and
                    >> scan it... can anyone give me some advise as to what resolution to
                    >> scan it or if its even possible! =( I dnt have a machine YET but I
                    >> am getting ready!
                    >>
                    >> Leenah
                    >>
                    >> Houston, Tx

                  • Claire Gendron
                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 17, 2009
                      This is my first post to this group.

                      I've used illustrator and photoshop quite a bit and just bought a pilot and
                      am really excited about creating my own designs.

                      I know how to use the adobe programs but I don't know what resolution
                      settings/types of images are best to use to create plates. Are line images
                      best? Can varying gray scales be reproduced? Also, would a deep relief base
                      be better than a regular base? Why do they recommend a smaller base than
                      the printer's chase size?

                      Any information would be appreciated as I don't have any other source of
                      information, have never used a press, and have yet to have successfully
                      goaded my significant other into setting up my pilot : (

                      Thanks!

                      _____

                      Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop are the big names in the Graphic
                      Design Market. They have a lot of features. And they are quite
                      expensive.
                      But they are by no means necessary to make your design. You can do it
                      in Word if you have to (I wouldn't), you could even draw your designs
                      and have them scanned. But as Scott mentioned there are also a few
                      free vector and bitmap editing apps, that can give you most of the
                      main-features of Illustrator or InDesign:

                      The Gimp (Bitmap/Picture-Editing): http://www.gimp. <http://www.gimp.org/>
                      org/

                      Inkscape (Vector): http://www.inkscape <http://www.inkscape.org/> .org/

                      If you need fonts for your designs, there are a lot of free fonts that
                      are really high quality and beautyfull. A good start to look for fonts
                      is:
                      http://www.dafont. <http://www.dafont.com/> com/

                      If you want script fonts, check:
                      http://www.dafont. <http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=601>

                      <http://www.josbuivenga.demon.nl/index.html> nga.demon.nl/index.html

                      <http://gimp.org> org>

                      > Similarly, I would try a shareware alternative to Illustrator, like
                      > Lineform or Inkscape.
                      > http://applezoom.
                      <http://applezoom.com/2007/07/12/cheap-alternative-to-adobe-illustrator-for-
                      mac-os-x> com/2007/07/12/cheap-alternative-to-adobe-illustrator-for-mac-os-x
                      > I do not know how they handle type, though, so I look forward to
                      > hearing
                      > about all these from personal experience.
                      >
                      > --Scott
                      >
                      > amanda.dimitrov wrote:
                      >> Hi all,
                      >> I am new to the photopolymer plate making technology. I just
                      >> purchased a new base from Boxcar Press for my Kelsey 5x8 press. My
                      >> experience with letterpress thus far has strictly been in hand set
                      >> type and printing blocks that I have found on Ebay. I am so
                      >> excited to be able to create my own designs; however, I am having
                      >> trouble understanding which program(s) to use to make my designs
                      >> and how to get my designs to the platemakers. Do most of you create
                      >> designs using Illustrator or Photoshop? Then after the design is
                      >> created, do you PDF the document (I read on Boxcar Press that they
                      >> prefer PDF docs)? What if I wanted to create a simple design using
                      >> Word and then PDF that doc? Would that work as well?
                      >>
                      >> Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have read many of these
                      >> posts, in addition to researching on Boxcar Press.
                      >>
                      >> Thanks so much in advance!!
                      >> ~A

                    • matthew lamoureux
                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 17, 2009
                        What's the run length metal backed photo polymer plates are rated for?
                        What's the longest run you've gotten out of a photo polymer plate?
                        With proper storage and care what's the longest anyone has kept and used a plate?

                        These are the question the gentleman I'm working on a project for is asking. He's skeptical about using plastic plates, but understands the cost saving compared to magnesium. I'm also trying to show him he won't need to make an investment in lots of type he he uses plates.

                      • Scott Rubel
                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 17, 2009
                          I can't give you a run number, but there's one plate I've used over
                          three years at probably 10,000 impressions, more or less.

                          I could be off by a couple thousand.

                          They should not wear out from age unless you are in high humidity.
                          When I first got started with polymers I had a batch that kept
                          disintegrating. For one thing, I didn't know back then that they were
                          water etched, being accustomed to metal plates. For another thing, I
                          didn't notice that they were on a table inches from an old brick wall
                          which the rain came down. The plates were getting bombarded with tiny
                          splatters at night when I wasn't there.

                          --Scott

                          On Sep 17, 2009, at 8:15 PM, matthew lamoureux wrote:

                          > What's the run length metal backed photo polymer plates are rated for?
                          > What's the longest run you've gotten out of a photo polymer plate?
                          > With proper storage and care what's the longest anyone has kept and
                          > used a plate?
                          >
                          > These are the question the gentleman I'm working on a project for
                          > is asking. He's skeptical about using plastic plates, but
                          > understands the cost saving compared to magnesium. I'm also trying
                          > to show him he won't need to make an investment in lots of type he
                          > he uses plates.

                        • susanne martin
                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 18, 2009
                            What do you do about the sticky stuff that holds it to the base? I have only used my plates a few times for much shorter runs, I am worried about when the sticky won't stick any more.

                            Susanne

                            To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                            From: scott@...
                            Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 20:28:19 -0700
                            Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] Run length of Polymer plates

                            Message 13 of 23 , Sep 18, 2009
                              On 17 Sep 2009, at 8:32 PM, Claire Gendron wrote:

                              > This is my first post to this group.

                              Welcome Claire!

                              > I've used illustrator and photoshop quite a bit and just bought a
                              > pilot and
                              > am really excited about creating my own designs.

                              Congratulations!

                              Welcome again to the wonderfully fulfilling and regularly frustrating
                              world of letterpress printing (with polymer!)

                              > I know how to use the adobe programs but I don't know what resolution
                              > settings/types of images are best to use to create plates. Are line
                              > images
                              > best?

                              Unless you are attempting to produce halftone images (ie, like photos
                              in a newspaper), which would likely increase your frustration level
                              quite a lot as a beginner, stick to line art, 100% solid spot-colors,
                              and relatively small solid areas. Small presses are great for type,
                              not for solid color across the whole piece.

                              > Can varying gray scales be reproduced? Also, would a deep relief base
                              > be better than a regular base?

                              Only if the extra depth allows you to use gauge pins

                              > Why do they recommend a smaller base than
                              > the printer's chase size?

                              Because on most hand-fed platen presses, you have to put gauge pins in
                              the tympan sheet and the base will smash into them.

                              > Any information would be appreciated as I don't have any other
                              > source of
                              > information, have never used a press, and have yet to have
                              > successfully
                              > goaded my significant other into setting up my pilot : (

                              Hmmm. I highly recommend searching out the (inevitable?) other hidden
                              letterpress folks in your area.
                              While this list is full of helpful people (and an invaluable archive,
                              highly recommended) there's nothing like seeing the real thing in
                              action!

                              Here are my top five points for letterpress printers

                              1. Keep your hands out of the press when it's moving
                              1a. check three times before turning the press that no collisions
                              are imminent - between form and gauge pins, frisket arms and form, etc
                              etc. Go slow.

                              2. use waaaaay less ink than you think you'll need... a teaspoon of
                              ink will print thousands of business cards ;-)
                              But if you're mixing a color, mix more than you think you'll need! Mix
                              magnesium carbonate (a type of chalk from printmaking suppiers like
                              Daniel Smith) into your ink to 'shorten it'. Most commercial printing
                              inks are for lithography and are far too viscous to work well for
                              relief printing. Use more 'mag' than you think you'll need ;-).... but
                              not too much!

                              2a. Don't hesitate to dump your ink, wash the press and start over
                              if it's not working right.
                              2b. use waaay less ink on the press than you think you'll need...
                              did I say that already?

                              3. raise the rollers, using layers of thin, smooth (Scotch?) tape on
                              the roller tracks. If they no longer ink the form, they're too high.
                              Otherwise, keep raising them ;-)

                              3a. buy new rollers and never let them sit on the form or the ink-
                              plate for longer than a few seconds. Flat spots are easily prevented,
                              but will ruin any chance of good printing.
                              3b. use good steel roller trucks, and keep them as clean as possible

                              4. use an appropriate stock, appropriate packing behind the tympan
                              sheet and appropriate makeready. In the final days of commercial
                              letterpress, printers used as smooth and hard a stock as possible to
                              get a very sharp 'kiss' impression, with practically no depth. Today,
                              we have the luxury of using fine soft papers, like fine-art etching
                              (Rives, Arches, Hahnemuhle) or a few commercial papers such as Crane's
                              Lettra, designed to take the depth of impression. However, the back
                              side of the sheet should still show very little evidence. Use as
                              little makeready as possible (the sheets under the tympan added to the
                              packing), but use enough!

                              4a. Control the humidity in the press room. Winter dryness will make
                              for very hard paper. 50% humidity is excellent, but nearly impossible
                              to maintain in heating season (or in the desert, etc). Dampened paper
                              is a joy to print, but adds substantially to the time, and is
                              impractical for many jobs, and for many papers. Check the archives
                              here for more on that.

                              5. Demand perfection from your press. But be happy with progress ;-)

                              Good luck, and keep us up to date!

                              Peter

                              Peter Fraterdeus
                              Exquisite Letterpress from Slow Print Studios
                              http://slowprint.com/
                            • Amanda Dimitrov
                              Message 14 of 23 , Sep 18, 2009
                                I second that!! Thanks very much for your time and help! I am brand new to this forum but love it already!
                                thank you again!!

                                ________________________________
                                Thank you all soooooooooooo very much for taking the time to answer my question! I really really appreciate it. I can not wait to show you guys how it comes out when I do it.

                                1200 dpi if the lines are thin. Then you may have to play with
                                contrast and then turn into a bitmap to be sure the black is really
                                black. It may look black on your monitor, but the negative will
                                develop as a screen if it's not 100%.

                                --Scott

                                On Sep 17, 2009, at 4:31 PM, foofnik79 wrote:

                                > i scan my calligraphy in at 600 dpi. make sure the dots on all of
                                > the i's, j's, etc. are large enough that they don't get lost. make
                                > sure the artwork is 100% black and change it to a bitmap for
                                > ordering. check your hairlines and dots again in bitmap format.
                                > that's it!
                                >
                                > --- In PPLetterpress@ yahoogroups. com, engrossersscript@ ... wrote:
                                >>

                                >> I am?a calligrapher - so what if I want to write my own script and
                                >> scan it... can anyone give me some advise as to what resolution to
                                >> scan it or if its even possible! =( I dnt have a machine YET but I
                                >> am getting ready!
                                >>
                                >> Leenah
                                >>
                                >> Houston, Tx

                              • Amanda Dimitrov
                                Message 15 of 23 , Sep 18, 2009
                                  Hi!
                                  I cannot tell you how helpful your post was! I am saving this one!
                                  Thanks again for this great advice and links!!

                                  ________________________________
> [...]

                                  >> Hi all,
                                  >> I am new to the photopolymer plate making technology. I just
                                  >> purchased a new base from Boxcar Press for my Kelsey 5x8 press. My
                                  >> experience with letterpress thus far has strictly been in hand set
                                  >> type and printing blocks that I have found on Ebay. I am so
                                  >> excited to be able to create my own designs; however, I am having
                                  >> trouble understanding which program(s) to use to make my designs
                                  >> and how to get my designs to the platemakers. Do most of you create
                                  >> designs using Illustrator or Photoshop? Then after the design is
                                  >> created, do you PDF the document (I read on Boxcar Press that they
                                  >> prefer PDF docs)? What if I wanted to create a simple design using
                                  >> Word and then PDF that doc? Would that work as well?
                                  >>
                                  >> Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have read many of these
                                  >> posts, in addition to researching on Boxcar Press.

                                • Eric
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Sep 18, 2009
                                    --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, matthew lamoureux <lamsland@...> wrote:

                                    > What's the run length metal backed photo polymer plates are rated for?
                                    > What's the longest run you've gotten out of a photo polymer plate?
                                    > With proper storage and care what's the longest anyone has kept and used a plate?

                                    I have gotten 25,000 impressions off MS plates with no wear, on a cylinder press. Still have the plates, 21 years old now, sitting on a galley; they look printable, but are line art with little detail.
                                    On the other hand, the HX plates I use now are sometimes unfit for re-use after a couple years, wrapped for storage, if they are typographically detailed. Sometimes re-drying helps, sometimes not.
                                    The most common practice is to store in a plastic bag to protect from moisture, and away from light. I tend to wrap in used tympan paper (an imperfect barrier), but I also have lead-mounted plates just sitting on galleys, most of which are fine. Go figure.
                                    Lots of variables, not just light and moisture but also the kind (and batch) of plate material itself are at work here. With photopolymer, I'd say the most important thing to save for re-use is the negative.
                                    --Eric Holub, SF
                                  • Visualpropaganda
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Sep 18, 2009
                                      Amanda, you are most welcome.

                                      If you need more help, just post it here. I've started doing
                                      letterpress a few weeks ago myself. I bought a heidelberg windmill on
                                      ebay. But I'm a designer for a long time and have done prepress for
                                      offset for some years now. The prepress process for offset printing
                                      and for preparing photopolymer plates is not very different.

                                      Have a nice weekend
                                      Mirko

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Sep 18, 2009
                                        Oh, sorry, I only use the steel backed plates, so the sticky answer is
                                        for someone else to do. --Scott

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Sep 18, 2009
                                          Sticky stuff comes off clean, the sooner the better.
                                          If you're going to store plates, get the sticky off the plate.
                                          Then use some fresh the next time ;-)

                                          (Boxcar sells rolls of it)

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Sep 18, 2009
                                            There's a double sided tape I think you use for adhesive mounted plates. We're planing on using metal backed plates on a bunting base so that won't be an issue. This is on a cylinder press and the guy was very happy to hear we could get upwards of 10,000 impressions per plate. We have some old X-ray storage cabinets to store them in and plan to wrap them in saran wrap. I guess we'll put them in some kraft paper too to be sure they're out of the light.

                                            If metal backed plates are stored vertically for a long time will they warp?

                                            Matthew "LAMMY" Lamoureux
                                            Full Metal Press - Operis servo a specialis nundinae

                                            Where the press is free and every man able to read, all is safe.
                                            Thomas Jefferson

                                            When Benjamin Franklin exited the Constitutional Convention, he was asked by a woman, "Sir, what have you given us?" He replied, "A Republic, Ma'am, if you can keep it".

                                            ________________________________

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Sep 18, 2009
                                              Matthew

                                              The claim for photopolymer under ideal conditions is something like
                                              1,000,000. The only time I've detected wear is when I printed a couple
                                              of thousand sheets on a paper impregnated with tiny bits of bamboo.

                                              I remember Pat Reagh telling me of a job he did on 10,000 sheets of
                                              Mexican bark paper that went through three sets of the plates.

                                              Normally, though, the stuff is quite resistant to wear.

                                              Best way to store them is in zip lock bags. A trick is to breathe into
                                              the bag before closing. That provides moisture and carbon dioxide (which
                                              revitalizes photopolymer).

                                              Store in a cool dark area away from electric devices, lights, motors,
                                              etc. Ozone, combined with high temperture, is their enemy.

                                              I've been printing with steel-backed plates for about two decades now
                                              and they do not curl in my experience. You can store them vertically
                                              without concern.

                                              matthew lamoureux wrote:
                                              > There's a double sided tape I think you use for adhesive mounted plates. We're planing on using metal backed plates on a bunting base so that won't be an issue. This is on a cylinder press and the guy was very happy to hear we could get upwards of 10,000 impressions per plate. We have some old X-ray storage cabinets to store them in and plan to wrap them in saran wrap. I guess we'll put them in some kraft paper too to be sure they're out of the light.
                                              >
                                              > If metal backed plates are stored vertically for a long time will they warp?
                                              >
                                              > Matthew "LAMMY" Lamoureux
                                              > Full Metal Press - Operis servo a specialis nundinae

                                            • bielerpr
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Sep 18, 2009
                                                Something further on this, as it was addressed earlier. In terms of longevity, photopolymer does not last long, though proper care during printing and storage can extend the life. Essentially, if you touch the photopolymer surface and it does not respond with tackiness, the printing advantage is gone. You might as well be printing on acetate.

                                                As Peter suggested, hang on to your film negs if you have any intention of regenerating. With proper storage, film negs tend to last for years. I have some that are at least a decade old and still retain their color and emulsion tack.