photopolymer plate newbie

  • amanda.dimitrov
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 17, 2009
      Hi all,
      I am new to the photopolymer plate making technology. I just purchased a new base from Boxcar Press for my Kelsey 5x8 press. My experience with letterpress thus far has strictly been in hand set type and printing blocks that I have found on Ebay. I am so excited to be able to create my own designs; however, I am having trouble understanding which program(s) to use to make my designs and how to get my designs to the platemakers. Do most of you create designs using Illustrator or Photoshop? Then after the design is created, do you PDF the document (I read on Boxcar Press that they prefer PDF docs)? What if I wanted to create a simple design using Word and then PDF that doc? Would that work as well?

      Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have read many of these posts, in addition to researching on Boxcar Press.

      Thanks so much in advance!!
      ~A
    • Harold Kyle
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 17, 2009
        A PDF from Word is not ideal, but it will work in a pinch if everything is
        set up in black ink. Multiple colors don't work well from Word and also Word
        doesn't kern typefaces well (the letters don't fit together as well as they
        would in a graphic design program).
        We usually recommend that customers eventually purchase Adobe Illustrator
        (or a similar graphic design program) to produce better plates--certainly
        that's the most common program used for creating photopolymer plates.
        Photoshop is appropriate for vector images (for instance from a scanner) but
        Illustrator is better for setting type and for drawing vector images. The
        learning curve on these programs will be a little steep if you haven't used
        them before, so in the meantime, as long as your Word PDF is 100% black,
        we should be able to use it.
        I hope this helps!
        Harold

        --
        ---
        Boxcar Press

      • amanda.dimitrov
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 17, 2009
          This is very helpful! Thanks so much for the quick response!
          ~A

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Harold Kyle <harold@...> wrote:

          > A PDF from Word is not ideal, but it will work in a pinch if everything is
          > set up in black ink. Multiple colors don't work well from Word and also Word
          > doesn't kern typefaces well (the letters don't fit together as well as they
          > would in a graphic design program).
          > We usually recommend that customers eventually purchase Adobe Illustrator
          > (or a similar graphic design program) to produce better plates--certainly
          > that's the most common program used for creating photopolymer plates.
          > Photoshop is appropriate for vector images (for instance from a scanner) but
          > Illustrator is better for setting type and for drawing vector images. The
          > learning curve on these programs will be a little steep if you haven't used
          > them before, so in the meantime, as long as your Word PDF is 100% black,
          > we should be able to use it.
          > I hope this helps!
          > Harold
          >
          > --
          > ---
          > Boxcar Press
          > 501 W. Fayette St. #222
          > Syracuse, NY 13204
          > www.boxcarpress.com

        • Scott Rubel
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 17, 2009
            I create almost everything with InDesign and sometimes Illustrator, when
            making plates. These programs allow me to manipulate type and render it
            about as close to the way it should be as you can get. You need at least
            Illustrator and a decent collection of fonts.

            Adobe's current licensing restrictions are pretty harsh, though. They
            won't both you if you only use one or two computers, but these programs
            are still expensive if you are just starting out and didn't plan on
            acquiring them. Even though I own all this stuff, I haven't been
            upgrading for the last couple of years, and if I had to start over I
            would consider some alternatives.

            For instance, I am pretty certain that Adobe Elements or Photoshop Lite
            may let me do all the tricks I currently do with Photoshop, and I would
            not miss whatever it is that is missing in the lite version.

            Also, I have been told about a shareware photo manipulator called The
            Gimp. Once again, I am passing along news I have not first hand
            knowledge of, but if I were starting out today, I'd play around with
            that before laying out the dough for Photoshop. <http://gimp.org>

            Similarly, I would try a shareware alternative to Illustrator, like
            Lineform or Inkscape.
            http://applezoom.com/2007/07/12/cheap-alternative-to-adobe-illustrator-for-mac-os-x
            I do not know how they handle type, though, so I look forward to hearing
            about all these from personal experience.

            --Scott

          • engrossersscript@aol.com
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 17, 2009
              I am?a calligrapher - so what if I want to write my own script and scan it... can anyone give me some advise as to what resolution to scan it or if its even possible! =( I dnt have a machine YET but I am getting ready!

              Leenah

              Houston, Tx

              This is very helpful! Thanks so much for the quick response!
              ~A

              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Harold Kyle <harold@...> wrote:

              > A PDF from Word is not ideal, but it will work in a pinch if everything is
              > set up in black ink. Multiple colors don't work well from Word and also Word
              > doesn't kern typefaces well (the letters don't fit together as well as they
              > would in a graphic design program).
              > We usually recommend that customers eventually purchase Adobe Illustrator
              > (or a similar graphic design program) to produce better plates--certainly
              > that's the most common program used for creating photopolymer plates.
              > Photoshop is appropriate for vector images (for instance from a scanner) but
              > Illustrator is better for setting type and for drawing vector images. The
              > learning curve on these programs will be a little steep if you haven't used
              > them before, so in the meantime, as long as your Word PDF is 100% black,
              > we should be able to use it.
              > I hope this helps!
              > Harold
              >
              > --
              > ---
              > Boxcar Press
              > 501 W. Fayette St. #222
              > Syracuse, NY 13204
              > www.boxcarpress.com

            • Visualpropaganda
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 17, 2009
                Hello Amanda,

                Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop are the big names in the Graphic
                Design Market. They have a lot of features. And they are quite
                expensive.
                But they are by no means necessary to make your design. You can do it
                in Word if you have to (I wouldn't), you could even draw your designs
                and have them scanned. But as Scott mentioned there are also a few
                free vector and bitmap editing apps, that can give you most of the
                main-features of Illustrator or InDesign:

                The Gimp (Bitmap/Picture-Editing): http://www.gimp.org/

                Inkscape (Vector): http://www.inkscape.org/

                If you need fonts for your designs, there are a lot of free fonts that
                are really high quality and beautyfull. A good start to look for fonts
                is:
                http://www.dafont.com/

                If you want script fonts, check:
                http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=601

                Also a lot of font-designer give away some of their fonts for free.
                For example
                Jos Buivenga (exljibris): http://www.josbuivenga.demon.nl/index.html

                I used Calluna regular, which he gives away for free for a card design
                for my sister.

                Hope that get's you started. All the best
                Mirko

              • foofnik79
                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 17, 2009
                  i scan my calligraphy in at 600 dpi. make sure the dots on all of the i's, j's, etc. are large enough that they don't get lost. make sure the artwork is 100% black and change it to a bitmap for ordering. check your hairlines and dots again in bitmap format. that's it!

                  --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, engrossersscript@... wrote:

                  > I am?a calligrapher - so what if I want to write my own script and scan it... can anyone give me some advise as to what resolution to scan it or if its even possible! =( I dnt have a machine YET but I am getting ready!
                  >

                  > Leenah
                  >
                  > Houston, Tx

                • Scott Rubel
                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 17, 2009
                    1200 dpi if the lines are thin. Then you may have to play with
                    contrast and then turn into a bitmap to be sure the black is really
                    black. It may look black on your monitor, but the negative will
                    develop as a screen if it's not 100%.

                    --Scott

                  • engrossersscript@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 17, 2009
                      Thank you all soooooooooooo very much for taking the time to answer my question! I really really appreciate it. I can not wait to show you guys how it comes out when I do it.

                      1200 dpi if the lines are thin. Then you may have to play with
                      contrast and then turn into a bitmap to be sure the black is really
                      black. It may look black on your monitor, but the negative will
                      develop as a screen if it's not 100%.

                      --Scott

                      On Sep 17, 2009, at 4:31 PM, foofnik79 wrote:

                      > i scan my calligraphy in at 600 dpi. make sure the dots on all of
                      > the i's, j's, etc. are large enough that they don't get lost. make
                      > sure the artwork is 100% black and change it to a bitmap for
                      > ordering. check your hairlines and dots again in bitmap format.
                      > that's it!
                      >
                      > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, engrossersscript@... wrote:
                      >>

                      >> I am?a calligrapher - so what if I want to write my own script and
                      >> scan it... can anyone give me some advise as to what resolution to
                      >> scan it or if its even possible! =( I dnt have a machine YET but I
                      >> am getting ready!
                      >>
                      >> Leenah
                      >>
                      >> Houston, Tx

                    • Claire Gendron
                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 17, 2009
                        This is my first post to this group.

                        I've used illustrator and photoshop quite a bit and just bought a pilot and
                        am really excited about creating my own designs.

                        I know how to use the adobe programs but I don't know what resolution
                        settings/types of images are best to use to create plates. Are line images
                        best? Can varying gray scales be reproduced? Also, would a deep relief base
                        be better than a regular base? Why do they recommend a smaller base than
                        the printer's chase size?

                        Any information would be appreciated as I don't have any other source of
                        information, have never used a press, and have yet to have successfully
                        goaded my significant other into setting up my pilot : (

                        Thanks!

                        _____

                        Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop are the big names in the Graphic
                        Design Market. They have a lot of features. And they are quite
                        expensive.
                        But they are by no means necessary to make your design. You can do it
                        in Word if you have to (I wouldn't), you could even draw your designs
                        and have them scanned. But as Scott mentioned there are also a few
                        free vector and bitmap editing apps, that can give you most of the
                        main-features of Illustrator or InDesign:

                        The Gimp (Bitmap/Picture-Editing): http://www.gimp. <http://www.gimp.org/>
                        org/

                        Inkscape (Vector): http://www.inkscape <http://www.inkscape.org/> .org/

                        If you need fonts for your designs, there are a lot of free fonts that
                        are really high quality and beautyfull. A good start to look for fonts
                        is:
                        http://www.dafont. <http://www.dafont.com/> com/

                        If you want script fonts, check:
                        http://www.dafont. <http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=601>

                        <http://www.josbuivenga.demon.nl/index.html> nga.demon.nl/index.html

                        <http://gimp.org> org>

                        > Similarly, I would try a shareware alternative to Illustrator, like
                        > Lineform or Inkscape.
                        > http://applezoom.
                        <http://applezoom.com/2007/07/12/cheap-alternative-to-adobe-illustrator-for-
                        mac-os-x> com/2007/07/12/cheap-alternative-to-adobe-illustrator-for-mac-os-x
                        > I do not know how they handle type, though, so I look forward to
                        > hearing
                        > about all these from personal experience.
                        >
                        > --Scott
                        >
                        > amanda.dimitrov wrote:
                        >> Hi all,
                        >> I am new to the photopolymer plate making technology. I just
                        >> purchased a new base from Boxcar Press for my Kelsey 5x8 press. My
                        >> experience with letterpress thus far has strictly been in hand set
                        >> type and printing blocks that I have found on Ebay. I am so
                        >> excited to be able to create my own designs; however, I am having
                        >> trouble understanding which program(s) to use to make my designs
                        >> and how to get my designs to the platemakers. Do most of you create
                        >> designs using Illustrator or Photoshop? Then after the design is
                        >> created, do you PDF the document (I read on Boxcar Press that they
                        >> prefer PDF docs)? What if I wanted to create a simple design using
                        >> Word and then PDF that doc? Would that work as well?
                        >>
                        >> Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have read many of these
                        >> posts, in addition to researching on Boxcar Press.
                        >>
                        >> Thanks so much in advance!!
                        >> ~A

                      • matthew lamoureux
                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 17, 2009
                          What's the run length metal backed photo polymer plates are rated for?
                          What's the longest run you've gotten out of a photo polymer plate?
                          With proper storage and care what's the longest anyone has kept and used a plate?

                          These are the question the gentleman I'm working on a project for is asking. He's skeptical about using plastic plates, but understands the cost saving compared to magnesium. I'm also trying to show him he won't need to make an investment in lots of type he he uses plates.

                        • Scott Rubel
                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 17, 2009
                            I can't give you a run number, but there's one plate I've used over
                            three years at probably 10,000 impressions, more or less.

                            I could be off by a couple thousand.

                            They should not wear out from age unless you are in high humidity.
                            When I first got started with polymers I had a batch that kept
                            disintegrating. For one thing, I didn't know back then that they were
                            water etched, being accustomed to metal plates. For another thing, I
                            didn't notice that they were on a table inches from an old brick wall
                            which the rain came down. The plates were getting bombarded with tiny
                            splatters at night when I wasn't there.

                            --Scott

                            On Sep 17, 2009, at 8:15 PM, matthew lamoureux wrote:

                            > What's the run length metal backed photo polymer plates are rated for?
                            > What's the longest run you've gotten out of a photo polymer plate?
                            > With proper storage and care what's the longest anyone has kept and
                            > used a plate?
                            >
                            > These are the question the gentleman I'm working on a project for
                            > is asking. He's skeptical about using plastic plates, but
                            > understands the cost saving compared to magnesium. I'm also trying
                            > to show him he won't need to make an investment in lots of type he
                            > he uses plates.

                          • susanne martin
                            Message 13 of 23 , Sep 18, 2009
                              What do you do about the sticky stuff that holds it to the base? I have only used my plates a few times for much shorter runs, I am worried about when the sticky won't stick any more.

                              Susanne

                              To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                              From: scott@...
                              Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 20:28:19 -0700
                              Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] Run length of Polymer plates

                              Message 14 of 23 , Sep 18, 2009
                                On 17 Sep 2009, at 8:32 PM, Claire Gendron wrote:

                                > This is my first post to this group.

                                Welcome Claire!

                                > I've used illustrator and photoshop quite a bit and just bought a
                                > pilot and
                                > am really excited about creating my own designs.

                                Congratulations!

                                Welcome again to the wonderfully fulfilling and regularly frustrating
                                world of letterpress printing (with polymer!)

                                > I know how to use the adobe programs but I don't know what resolution
                                > settings/types of images are best to use to create plates. Are line
                                > images
                                > best?

                                Unless you are attempting to produce halftone images (ie, like photos
                                in a newspaper), which would likely increase your frustration level
                                quite a lot as a beginner, stick to line art, 100% solid spot-colors,
                                and relatively small solid areas. Small presses are great for type,
                                not for solid color across the whole piece.

                                > Can varying gray scales be reproduced? Also, would a deep relief base
                                > be better than a regular base?

                                Only if the extra depth allows you to use gauge pins

                                > Why do they recommend a smaller base than
                                > the printer's chase size?

                                Because on most hand-fed platen presses, you have to put gauge pins in
                                the tympan sheet and the base will smash into them.

                                > Any information would be appreciated as I don't have any other
                                > source of
                                > information, have never used a press, and have yet to have
                                > successfully
                                > goaded my significant other into setting up my pilot : (

                                Hmmm. I highly recommend searching out the (inevitable?) other hidden
                                letterpress folks in your area.
                                While this list is full of helpful people (and an invaluable archive,
                                highly recommended) there's nothing like seeing the real thing in
                                action!

                                Here are my top five points for letterpress printers

                                1. Keep your hands out of the press when it's moving
                                1a. check three times before turning the press that no collisions
                                are imminent - between form and gauge pins, frisket arms and form, etc
                                etc. Go slow.

                                2. use waaaaay less ink than you think you'll need... a teaspoon of
                                ink will print thousands of business cards ;-)
                                But if you're mixing a color, mix more than you think you'll need! Mix
                                magnesium carbonate (a type of chalk from printmaking suppiers like
                                Daniel Smith) into your ink to 'shorten it'. Most commercial printing
                                inks are for lithography and are far too viscous to work well for
                                relief printing. Use more 'mag' than you think you'll need ;-).... but
                                not too much!

                                2a. Don't hesitate to dump your ink, wash the press and start over
                                if it's not working right.
                                2b. use waaay less ink on the press than you think you'll need...
                                did I say that already?

                                3. raise the rollers, using layers of thin, smooth (Scotch?) tape on
                                the roller tracks. If they no longer ink the form, they're too high.
                                Otherwise, keep raising them ;-)

                                3a. buy new rollers and never let them sit on the form or the ink-
                                plate for longer than a few seconds. Flat spots are easily prevented,
                                but will ruin any chance of good printing.
                                3b. use good steel roller trucks, and keep them as clean as possible

                                4. use an appropriate stock, appropriate packing behind the tympan
                                sheet and appropriate makeready. In the final days of commercial
                                letterpress, printers used as smooth and hard a stock as possible to
                                get a very sharp 'kiss' impression, with practically no depth. Today,
                                we have the luxury of using fine soft papers, like fine-art etching
                                (Rives, Arches, Hahnemuhle) or a few commercial papers such as Crane's
                                Lettra, designed to take the depth of impression. However, the back
                                side of the sheet should still show very little evidence. Use as
                                little makeready as possible (the sheets under the tympan added to the
                                packing), but use enough!

                                4a. Control the humidity in the press room. Winter dryness will make
                                for very hard paper. 50% humidity is excellent, but nearly impossible
                                to maintain in heating season (or in the desert, etc). Dampened paper
                                is a joy to print, but adds substantially to the time, and is
                                impractical for many jobs, and for many papers. Check the archives
                                here for more on that.

                                5. Demand perfection from your press. But be happy with progress ;-)

                                Good luck, and keep us up to date!

                                Peter

                                Peter Fraterdeus
                                Exquisite Letterpress from Slow Print Studios
                                http://slowprint.com/
                              • Amanda Dimitrov
                                Message 15 of 23 , Sep 18, 2009
                                  I second that!! Thanks very much for your time and help! I am brand new to this forum but love it already!
                                  thank you again!!

                                  ________________________________
                                  Thank you all soooooooooooo very much for taking the time to answer my question! I really really appreciate it. I can not wait to show you guys how it comes out when I do it.

                                  1200 dpi if the lines are thin. Then you may have to play with
                                  contrast and then turn into a bitmap to be sure the black is really
                                  black. It may look black on your monitor, but the negative will
                                  develop as a screen if it's not 100%.

                                  --Scott

                                  On Sep 17, 2009, at 4:31 PM, foofnik79 wrote:

                                  > i scan my calligraphy in at 600 dpi. make sure the dots on all of
                                  > the i's, j's, etc. are large enough that they don't get lost. make
                                  > sure the artwork is 100% black and change it to a bitmap for
                                  > ordering. check your hairlines and dots again in bitmap format.
                                  > that's it!
                                  >
                                  > --- In PPLetterpress@ yahoogroups. com, engrossersscript@ ... wrote:
                                  >>

                                  >> I am?a calligrapher - so what if I want to write my own script and
                                  >> scan it... can anyone give me some advise as to what resolution to
                                  >> scan it or if its even possible! =( I dnt have a machine YET but I
                                  >> am getting ready!
                                  >>
                                  >> Leenah
                                  >>
                                  >> Houston, Tx

                                • Amanda Dimitrov
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Sep 18, 2009
                                    Hi!
                                    I cannot tell you how helpful your post was! I am saving this one!
                                    Thanks again for this great advice and links!!

                                    ________________________________
> [...]

                                    >> Hi all,
                                    >> I am new to the photopolymer plate making technology. I just
                                    >> purchased a new base from Boxcar Press for my Kelsey 5x8 press. My
                                    >> experience with letterpress thus far has strictly been in hand set
                                    >> type and printing blocks that I have found on Ebay. I am so
                                    >> excited to be able to create my own designs; however, I am having
                                    >> trouble understanding which program(s) to use to make my designs
                                    >> and how to get my designs to the platemakers. Do most of you create
                                    >> designs using Illustrator or Photoshop? Then after the design is
                                    >> created, do you PDF the document (I read on Boxcar Press that they
                                    >> prefer PDF docs)? What if I wanted to create a simple design using
                                    >> Word and then PDF that doc? Would that work as well?
                                    >>
                                    >> Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have read many of these
                                    >> posts, in addition to researching on Boxcar Press.

                                  • Eric
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Sep 18, 2009
                                      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, matthew lamoureux <lamsland@...> wrote:

                                      > What's the run length metal backed photo polymer plates are rated for?
                                      > What's the longest run you've gotten out of a photo polymer plate?
                                      > With proper storage and care what's the longest anyone has kept and used a plate?

                                      I have gotten 25,000 impressions off MS plates with no wear, on a cylinder press. Still have the plates, 21 years old now, sitting on a galley; they look printable, but are line art with little detail.
                                      On the other hand, the HX plates I use now are sometimes unfit for re-use after a couple years, wrapped for storage, if they are typographically detailed. Sometimes re-drying helps, sometimes not.
                                      The most common practice is to store in a plastic bag to protect from moisture, and away from light. I tend to wrap in used tympan paper (an imperfect barrier), but I also have lead-mounted plates just sitting on galleys, most of which are fine. Go figure.
                                      Lots of variables, not just light and moisture but also the kind (and batch) of plate material itself are at work here. With photopolymer, I'd say the most important thing to save for re-use is the negative.
                                      --Eric Holub, SF
                                    • Visualpropaganda
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Sep 18, 2009
                                        Amanda, you are most welcome.

                                        If you need more help, just post it here. I've started doing
                                        letterpress a few weeks ago myself. I bought a heidelberg windmill on
                                        ebay. But I'm a designer for a long time and have done prepress for
                                        offset for some years now. The prepress process for offset printing
                                        and for preparing photopolymer plates is not very different.

                                        Have a nice weekend
                                        Mirko

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Sep 18, 2009
                                          Oh, sorry, I only use the steel backed plates, so the sticky answer is
                                          for someone else to do. --Scott

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Sep 18, 2009
                                            Sticky stuff comes off clean, the sooner the better.
                                            If you're going to store plates, get the sticky off the plate.
                                            Then use some fresh the next time ;-)

                                            (Boxcar sells rolls of it)

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Sep 18, 2009
                                              There's a double sided tape I think you use for adhesive mounted plates. We're planing on using metal backed plates on a bunting base so that won't be an issue. This is on a cylinder press and the guy was very happy to hear we could get upwards of 10,000 impressions per plate. We have some old X-ray storage cabinets to store them in and plan to wrap them in saran wrap. I guess we'll put them in some kraft paper too to be sure they're out of the light.

                                              If metal backed plates are stored vertically for a long time will they warp?

                                              Matthew "LAMMY" Lamoureux
                                              Full Metal Press - Operis servo a specialis nundinae

                                              Where the press is free and every man able to read, all is safe.
                                              Thomas Jefferson

                                              When Benjamin Franklin exited the Constitutional Convention, he was asked by a woman, "Sir, what have you given us?" He replied, "A Republic, Ma'am, if you can keep it".

                                              ________________________________

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Sep 18, 2009
                                                Matthew

                                                The claim for photopolymer under ideal conditions is something like
                                                1,000,000. The only time I've detected wear is when I printed a couple
                                                of thousand sheets on a paper impregnated with tiny bits of bamboo.

                                                I remember Pat Reagh telling me of a job he did on 10,000 sheets of
                                                Mexican bark paper that went through three sets of the plates.

                                                Normally, though, the stuff is quite resistant to wear.

                                                Best way to store them is in zip lock bags. A trick is to breathe into
                                                the bag before closing. That provides moisture and carbon dioxide (which
                                                revitalizes photopolymer).

                                                Store in a cool dark area away from electric devices, lights, motors,
                                                etc. Ozone, combined with high temperture, is their enemy.

                                                I've been printing with steel-backed plates for about two decades now
                                                and they do not curl in my experience. You can store them vertically
                                                without concern.

                                                matthew lamoureux wrote:
                                                > There's a double sided tape I think you use for adhesive mounted plates. We're planing on using metal backed plates on a bunting base so that won't be an issue. This is on a cylinder press and the guy was very happy to hear we could get upwards of 10,000 impressions per plate. We have some old X-ray storage cabinets to store them in and plan to wrap them in saran wrap. I guess we'll put them in some kraft paper too to be sure they're out of the light.
                                                >
                                                > If metal backed plates are stored vertically for a long time will they warp?
                                                >
                                                > Matthew "LAMMY" Lamoureux
                                                > Full Metal Press - Operis servo a specialis nundinae

                                              • bielerpr
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Sep 18, 2009
                                                  Something further on this, as it was addressed earlier. In terms of longevity, photopolymer does not last long, though proper care during printing and storage can extend the life. Essentially, if you touch the photopolymer surface and it does not respond with tackiness, the printing advantage is gone. You might as well be printing on acetate.

                                                  As Peter suggested, hang on to your film negs if you have any intention of regenerating. With proper storage, film negs tend to last for years. I have some that are at least a decade old and still retain their color and emulsion tack.