Re: Counters not washing out

  • cmcgarr1957
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 12, 2009
      I bumped up the washout to 6 minutes and to work. 1 minute more than usual seems like a lot.

      Casey
      iLP

      > Counters are not washing out deep enough. Is that due to too long pre exposure of my deep relief plate?
      >
      > Casey
      > iLP

    • Harold Kyle
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 12, 2009
        Do you have a way to check the density of your films? This problem can also
        happen because the black isn't dense enough in your film negatives. If not,
        the down-and-dirty test is: can you see an overhead light through the neg if
        you hold it up above your head? If you see the lightbulb or lightbulb
        filament through the film it's not dense enough.
        Hope this helps,
        Harold

        --
        ---
        Boxcar Press

      • cmcgarr1957
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 13, 2009
          Kyle,

          I don't have way to check the density of the film an the film output bureau has been pretty consistent. I'll ask on Monday because this maybe the problem. The longer washout helped but the counters are still not open enough.

          Casey
          iLP
        • typetom@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 13, 2009
            Hi Casey,
            I have not worked with polymer plates that involve back exposure, but it
            sounds like over-exposure to me. For my steel-backed plates, the washout time
            is critical only when it is too long - when the time in the water allows
            the base of the polymer to absorb too much water and thus allows the
            hardened surface to separate and move or break off. More time in washout does not
            dissolve material that has been hardened.

            Too much exposure time, however, will harden more of the base and can fill
            counters or white lines in a reverse image, because the base material
            swells out from the face of the exposed image as it has time to harden more of
            the base polymer, as the UV light continues to penetrate indirectly to areas
            normally protected by the negative - the surface of a letter will look
            correct, but the sides and counters will be swollen if it is over-exposed.

            Could be emulsion density, but it is possible to work around even weak
            emulsion by under-exposure.
            Best wishes,
            Tom

            Tom Parson/ Now It's Up To You
            157 S Logan, Denver CO 80209
            (303) 777-8951 home & printshop
            (720) 480-5358 cellphone
            _typetom@..._ (mailto:typetom@...)

            In a message dated 9/13/2009 8:20:14 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
            casey@... writes:

            Kyle,

            I don't have way to check the density of the film an the film output
            bureau has been pretty consistent. I'll ask on Monday because this maybe the
            problem. The longer washout helped but the counters are still not open enough.

            Casey
            iLP

          • Austin Jones
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 13, 2009
              From what I am reading of this thread, I can only conclude that there are
              many people out there who are using photopolymer on a daily basis. This
              leads to the common practice of developing a procedure which works. The
              problem with this practice is that things change which you are not aware of.
              I do not work much with film today but when I did the slightest change in
              any of the steps could cause major changes in the outcome. Film, developer,
              water, as well as environment can have a major impact on the total process.

              I would suggest that even though you are getting your negs from the same
              service, it is highly likely that they have changed suppliers or their
              supplier may have changed their supplier. All of the other things involved
              should be considered one at a time.

              When a procedure works then stops working it is sometimes difficult to
              remember how the procedure was developed. It is just done by habit and you
              don't remember why some of the steps are important or how you came up with
              that conclusion.

              I am just suggesting that the procedure be revisited and considered step by
              step and make no assumptions. Only make one change at a time to eliminate
              possibilities.

              I know film processing is an art which has been mechanized to the point that
              no one needs to make note today.

              I hope this is a help in finding the cause of the change.

              tks

              Austin Jones
              prints by AJ
              austin@...
              http://printsbyaj.com
              > I don't have way to check the density of the film an the film output
              > bureau has been pretty consistent. I'll ask on Monday because this maybe
              > the problem. The longer washout helped but the counters are still not open
              > enough.
              >
              > Casey
              > iLP

            • cmcgarr1957
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 14, 2009
                Thanks Austin, very good points.

                I visited with the film output business and their densities were light reading around 2.5. They output new film and I'm back in business making good plates.

                Thanks for all the recommendations everyone gave me.

                Casey
                iLP