Re: Counters not washing out

  • bielerpr
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 12, 2009
      Casey

      That would generally be the case (in theory). If you are using relatively new 152 mm plate stock, however, note that they might have changed the formula. The steel-backed stuff I am now getting (since a couple of months ago) has a much shorter exposure, much longer washout than previously.

      Only way to work it out is test the exposure with a Stouffer 21-step gauge and run the washout until the plate floor is clean. I think the new formulation is a better one but I lost a lot of plate material and time working it out when the first batch came in.

      This is the second time in recent years that Toyobo has changed the formula and not bothered to inform their distributors (or if they did, their distributors did not bother to inform their clients).

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "cmcgarr1957" <casey@...> wrote:

      > Counters are not washing out deep enough. Is that due to too long pre exposure of my deep relief plate?
      >
      > Casey
      > iLP

    • cmcgarr1957
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 12, 2009
        Thanks everyone, I appreciate the insight. I'll do a longer washout and see if that helps. Earlier I didn't do a pre exposure and it helped a little. However some of the counters were still not washed out enough. I'll do another test and see what follows.

        I'll post the results.

        Thanks again for the help.

        Casey
        iLP
      • jasonmacdallas
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 12, 2009
          Casey,

          I've experienced a little bit of the same problem lately (and I believe we are getting material from the same vendor here in Texas.) So, it's certainly possible that there has been a formula change in KF152. I've noticed that the problem goes away when the water is cleaner (after lots of platemaking it gets milky and that is when i see more of a problem, so i just change the water during longer sessions.)

          Jason McDaniel
          Missing Q Press

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "cmcgarr1957" <casey@...> wrote:

          > Thanks everyone, I appreciate the insight. I'll do a longer washout and see if that helps. Earlier I didn't do a pre exposure and it helped a little. However some of the counters were still not washed out enough. I'll do another test and see what follows.
          >
          > I'll post the results.
          >
          > Thanks again for the help.
          >
          > Casey
          > iLP

        • cmcgarr1957
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 12, 2009
            I bumped up the washout to 6 minutes and to work. 1 minute more than usual seems like a lot.

            Casey
            iLP

            > Counters are not washing out deep enough. Is that due to too long pre exposure of my deep relief plate?
            >
            > Casey
            > iLP

          • Harold Kyle
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 12, 2009
              Do you have a way to check the density of your films? This problem can also
              happen because the black isn't dense enough in your film negatives. If not,
              the down-and-dirty test is: can you see an overhead light through the neg if
              you hold it up above your head? If you see the lightbulb or lightbulb
              filament through the film it's not dense enough.
              Hope this helps,
              Harold

              --
              ---
              Boxcar Press

            • cmcgarr1957
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 13, 2009
                Kyle,

                I don't have way to check the density of the film an the film output bureau has been pretty consistent. I'll ask on Monday because this maybe the problem. The longer washout helped but the counters are still not open enough.

                Casey
                iLP
              • typetom@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 13, 2009
                  Hi Casey,
                  I have not worked with polymer plates that involve back exposure, but it
                  sounds like over-exposure to me. For my steel-backed plates, the washout time
                  is critical only when it is too long - when the time in the water allows
                  the base of the polymer to absorb too much water and thus allows the
                  hardened surface to separate and move or break off. More time in washout does not
                  dissolve material that has been hardened.

                  Too much exposure time, however, will harden more of the base and can fill
                  counters or white lines in a reverse image, because the base material
                  swells out from the face of the exposed image as it has time to harden more of
                  the base polymer, as the UV light continues to penetrate indirectly to areas
                  normally protected by the negative - the surface of a letter will look
                  correct, but the sides and counters will be swollen if it is over-exposed.

                  Could be emulsion density, but it is possible to work around even weak
                  emulsion by under-exposure.
                  Best wishes,
                  Tom

                  Tom Parson/ Now It's Up To You
                  157 S Logan, Denver CO 80209
                  (303) 777-8951 home & printshop
                  (720) 480-5358 cellphone
                  _typetom@..._ (mailto:typetom@...)

                  In a message dated 9/13/2009 8:20:14 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
                  casey@... writes:

                  Kyle,

                  I don't have way to check the density of the film an the film output
                  bureau has been pretty consistent. I'll ask on Monday because this maybe the
                  problem. The longer washout helped but the counters are still not open enough.

                  Casey
                  iLP

                • Austin Jones
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 13, 2009
                    From what I am reading of this thread, I can only conclude that there are
                    many people out there who are using photopolymer on a daily basis. This
                    leads to the common practice of developing a procedure which works. The
                    problem with this practice is that things change which you are not aware of.
                    I do not work much with film today but when I did the slightest change in
                    any of the steps could cause major changes in the outcome. Film, developer,
                    water, as well as environment can have a major impact on the total process.

                    I would suggest that even though you are getting your negs from the same
                    service, it is highly likely that they have changed suppliers or their
                    supplier may have changed their supplier. All of the other things involved
                    should be considered one at a time.

                    When a procedure works then stops working it is sometimes difficult to
                    remember how the procedure was developed. It is just done by habit and you
                    don't remember why some of the steps are important or how you came up with
                    that conclusion.

                    I am just suggesting that the procedure be revisited and considered step by
                    step and make no assumptions. Only make one change at a time to eliminate
                    possibilities.

                    I know film processing is an art which has been mechanized to the point that
                    no one needs to make note today.

                    I hope this is a help in finding the cause of the change.

                    tks

                    Austin Jones
                    prints by AJ
                    austin@...
                    http://printsbyaj.com
                    > I don't have way to check the density of the film an the film output
                    > bureau has been pretty consistent. I'll ask on Monday because this maybe
                    > the problem. The longer washout helped but the counters are still not open
                    > enough.
                    >
                    > Casey
                    > iLP

                  • cmcgarr1957
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 14, 2009
                      Thanks Austin, very good points.

                      I visited with the film output business and their densities were light reading around 2.5. They output new film and I'm back in business making good plates.

                      Thanks for all the recommendations everyone gave me.

                      Casey
                      iLP