Counters not washing out

  • cmcgarr1957
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 12, 2009
      Counters are not washing out deep enough. Is that due to too long pre exposure of my deep relief plate?

      Casey
      iLP
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 12, 2009
        Hi Casey

        On 12 Sep 2009, at 10:46 AM, cmcgarr1957 wrote:

        > Counters are not washing out deep enough. Is that due to too long
        > pre exposure of my deep relief plate?

        Sorta sounds like a possible cause.
        I had all kinds of trouble with the 152 plates _before_ learning about
        preexposure from the back.
        And I could see how you'd have fill-in if you back-expose and then the
        top exposure adds through diffusion to the base at the counters...
        since there's exposure all around it, it makes sense that the
        'shoulders' into the counter will meet higher than on the outer
        contour of the glyph...

        I haven't been using 152 plates for quite a while though.
        At first I assumed I'd get nicer (steeper) shoulders, like on foundry
        type, but it doesn't seem to be.
        Also the thicker plates are a hell of a lot more expensive.

        So, I use .020 worth of underlay on my base, and use the thinner plates.

        Are you using the thicker for a special case, or in general?

        Cheers

        Peter

        Peter Fraterdeus
        http://slowprint.com/
      • Ed Inman
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 12, 2009
          It could also result from either your negatives not being opaque enough or insufficient washout time.
          Sometimes it takes some trial and error to resolve, as every system is different.
          good luck,
          Ed

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 12, 2009
            Casey

            That would generally be the case (in theory). If you are using relatively new 152 mm plate stock, however, note that they might have changed the formula. The steel-backed stuff I am now getting (since a couple of months ago) has a much shorter exposure, much longer washout than previously.

            Only way to work it out is test the exposure with a Stouffer 21-step gauge and run the washout until the plate floor is clean. I think the new formulation is a better one but I lost a lot of plate material and time working it out when the first batch came in.

            This is the second time in recent years that Toyobo has changed the formula and not bothered to inform their distributors (or if they did, their distributors did not bother to inform their clients).

            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "cmcgarr1957" <casey@...> wrote:

            > Counters are not washing out deep enough. Is that due to too long pre exposure of my deep relief plate?
            >
            > Casey
            > iLP

          • cmcgarr1957
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 12, 2009
              Thanks everyone, I appreciate the insight. I'll do a longer washout and see if that helps. Earlier I didn't do a pre exposure and it helped a little. However some of the counters were still not washed out enough. I'll do another test and see what follows.

              I'll post the results.

              Thanks again for the help.

              Casey
              iLP
            • jasonmacdallas
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 12, 2009
                Casey,

                I've experienced a little bit of the same problem lately (and I believe we are getting material from the same vendor here in Texas.) So, it's certainly possible that there has been a formula change in KF152. I've noticed that the problem goes away when the water is cleaner (after lots of platemaking it gets milky and that is when i see more of a problem, so i just change the water during longer sessions.)

                Jason McDaniel
                Missing Q Press

                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "cmcgarr1957" <casey@...> wrote:

                > Thanks everyone, I appreciate the insight. I'll do a longer washout and see if that helps. Earlier I didn't do a pre exposure and it helped a little. However some of the counters were still not washed out enough. I'll do another test and see what follows.
                >
                > I'll post the results.
                >
                > Thanks again for the help.
                >
                > Casey
                > iLP

              • cmcgarr1957
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 12, 2009
                  I bumped up the washout to 6 minutes and to work. 1 minute more than usual seems like a lot.

                  Casey
                  iLP

                  > Counters are not washing out deep enough. Is that due to too long pre exposure of my deep relief plate?
                  >
                  > Casey
                  > iLP

                • Harold Kyle
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 12, 2009
                    Do you have a way to check the density of your films? This problem can also
                    happen because the black isn't dense enough in your film negatives. If not,
                    the down-and-dirty test is: can you see an overhead light through the neg if
                    you hold it up above your head? If you see the lightbulb or lightbulb
                    filament through the film it's not dense enough.
                    Hope this helps,
                    Harold

                    --
                    ---
                    Boxcar Press

                  • cmcgarr1957
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 13, 2009
                      Kyle,

                      I don't have way to check the density of the film an the film output bureau has been pretty consistent. I'll ask on Monday because this maybe the problem. The longer washout helped but the counters are still not open enough.

                      Casey
                      iLP
                    • typetom@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 13, 2009
                        Hi Casey,
                        I have not worked with polymer plates that involve back exposure, but it
                        sounds like over-exposure to me. For my steel-backed plates, the washout time
                        is critical only when it is too long - when the time in the water allows
                        the base of the polymer to absorb too much water and thus allows the
                        hardened surface to separate and move or break off. More time in washout does not
                        dissolve material that has been hardened.

                        Too much exposure time, however, will harden more of the base and can fill
                        counters or white lines in a reverse image, because the base material
                        swells out from the face of the exposed image as it has time to harden more of
                        the base polymer, as the UV light continues to penetrate indirectly to areas
                        normally protected by the negative - the surface of a letter will look
                        correct, but the sides and counters will be swollen if it is over-exposed.

                        Could be emulsion density, but it is possible to work around even weak
                        emulsion by under-exposure.
                        Best wishes,
                        Tom

                        Tom Parson/ Now It's Up To You
                        157 S Logan, Denver CO 80209
                        (303) 777-8951 home & printshop
                        (720) 480-5358 cellphone
                        _typetom@..._ (mailto:typetom@...)

                        In a message dated 9/13/2009 8:20:14 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
                        casey@... writes:

                        Kyle,

                        I don't have way to check the density of the film an the film output
                        bureau has been pretty consistent. I'll ask on Monday because this maybe the
                        problem. The longer washout helped but the counters are still not open enough.

                        Casey
                        iLP

                      • Austin Jones
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 13, 2009
                          From what I am reading of this thread, I can only conclude that there are
                          many people out there who are using photopolymer on a daily basis. This
                          leads to the common practice of developing a procedure which works. The
                          problem with this practice is that things change which you are not aware of.
                          I do not work much with film today but when I did the slightest change in
                          any of the steps could cause major changes in the outcome. Film, developer,
                          water, as well as environment can have a major impact on the total process.

                          I would suggest that even though you are getting your negs from the same
                          service, it is highly likely that they have changed suppliers or their
                          supplier may have changed their supplier. All of the other things involved
                          should be considered one at a time.

                          When a procedure works then stops working it is sometimes difficult to
                          remember how the procedure was developed. It is just done by habit and you
                          don't remember why some of the steps are important or how you came up with
                          that conclusion.

                          I am just suggesting that the procedure be revisited and considered step by
                          step and make no assumptions. Only make one change at a time to eliminate
                          possibilities.

                          I know film processing is an art which has been mechanized to the point that
                          no one needs to make note today.

                          I hope this is a help in finding the cause of the change.

                          tks

                          Austin Jones
                          prints by AJ
                          austin@...
                          http://printsbyaj.com
                          > I don't have way to check the density of the film an the film output
                          > bureau has been pretty consistent. I'll ask on Monday because this maybe
                          > the problem. The longer washout helped but the counters are still not open
                          > enough.
                          >
                          > Casey
                          > iLP

                        • cmcgarr1957
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 14, 2009
                            Thanks Austin, very good points.

                            I visited with the film output business and their densities were light reading around 2.5. They output new film and I'm back in business making good plates.

                            Thanks for all the recommendations everyone gave me.

                            Casey
                            iLP