crosspost: Last call for submissions for "Adventures in Letterpress"

  • Blue Barnhouse
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 26, 2009
      Fellow listers,

      DO NOT MISS OUT ON THIS CHANCE TO GIVE YOUR PRESS A SMALL TASTE OF
      FAME. There haven't been any books that we know of that have attempted
      to show the whole breadth of contemporary letterpress, it is not very
      likely that another will follow any time soon.

      We haven't made any final decisions for most of the studios to be
      included in our book on Contemporary Letterpress, called "Adventures
      in Letterpress"-- A hard covered 178 page book published by Mark Batty
      Publisher (www.markbattypublisher.com) , a very respectable publisher
      of books in the world of design both here and in the UK.

      However, I thought I'd list a few letterpress studios that will most
      certainly be included in the book:

      Hatch Show
      Yee-Haw Industries
      9Spotmonk
      Delphine
      Shooting Star Press
      Handcranked Letterpress
      Studio on Fire
      Oddball Press
      Press NY
      Hello Lucky
      Stumptown Printers
      Paper Monkey Press
      Colin Frazier of the Press at Colorado College
      Bowne & Company

      There are countless more studios from all over the US and abroad,
      including some heavy hitters/big names in the industry who have
      submitted some fantastic designs that will be included in the book,
      but I'll hold off from naming them, as the selection process is a
      tedious one and we have yet to be in touch with these folks regarding
      their acceptance.

      Below are submission guidelines. Submission deadline is September
      1st. We will be contacting everyone regarding their submissions by
      Sept 15.

      We are looking for a wide variety of styles, from the elegant & simple
      to the more edgy and complex, so if you know someone who might be
      interested, please pass this information along, I am especially
      interested in finding underground studios/artists that have so far
      been under the radar.

      Thanks,
      Brandon Mise

      Blue Barnhouse

      Stage 1 Guidelines for Submission
      1. Please send no more than 6 images of your most innovative
      letterpress projects to submissions@.... Low res images
      are okay and actually preferred for now. More images will be requested
      if we like what we see.
      2. Send along a bio about you or your studio & contact information.
      3. Eventually we will need high quality photos of your work. Please do
      not send work that is no longer available to be photographed using our
      file guidelines (see below). If you are unable to take a professional
      photo of your work, we will be able to take photos of a limited number
      of artist's work provided you can send it to us.
      4. Letterpress can include but is not limited to posters, packaging,
      books, art prints, business cards, greeting cards, etc.
      5. Seriously, don't send us pics of letterpressed wedding related
      items. We're not interested and it lessens your chances of being
      accepted.
      6. Mailed submissions of letterpress will also be acceptable, please
      provide return postage if you would like your work returned to you.
      Submissions can be mailed to:

      Adventures in Letterpress
      c/o Blue Barnhouse
      428-B Haywood Rd
      Asheville, NC 28806

      8. Cutoff date for submissions is September 1st.

      Publisher Guidelines
      � You maintain the copyright to your Art and that it is your
      intellectual property.
      � You will not receive any monetary compensation from the Publisher
      for your Art in connection with the Book.
      � Your name and a brief bio will be included in the Book in order to
      provide proper credit for your Art.
      � Your Art can only be included in the Book if the related electronic
      files can meet the technical
      specifications defined by the Publisher. All files should be
      uncompressed, at least 10x12 inches in
      size and at a resolution of 300DPI.
      � Upon publication of the Book you will receive one (1) copy for your
      contribution.

      This is a great opportunity for exposure. We look forward to seeing
      what comes our way. Further questions can be directed to submissions@...

    • bielerpr
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2009
        Hi Brandon

        On the eve of your deadline I thought I throw this out. I guess the problem I find with this is that you are not doing the leg work. You are treating a book publication like it was a juried exhibition. And this is then supposed to be considered representative of "the whole breadth of contemporary letterpress"? Not in any way dude.

        Gerald
        http://BielerPress.blogspot.spot

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Blue Barnhouse <letpresslist@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > Asheville, NC 28806
        >
        > 8. Cutoff date for submissions is September 1st.
        >
        > Publisher Guidelines
        > • You maintain the copyright to your Art and that it is your
        > intellectual property.
        > • You will not receive any monetary compensation from the Publisher
        > for your Art in connection with the Book.
        > • Your name and a brief bio will be included in the Book in order to
        > provide proper credit for your Art.
        > • Your Art can only be included in the Book if the related electronic
        > files can meet the technical
        > specifications defined by the Publisher. All files should be
        > uncompressed, at least 10x12 inches in
        > size and at a resolution of 300DPI.
        > • Upon publication of the Book you will receive one (1) copy for your
        > contribution.
        >
        > This is a great opportunity for exposure. We look forward to seeing

      • elumdesigns
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 4, 2009
          Brandon,

          Is it too late to submit? First I have heard about this was today.
          Brad
          Elum