Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Metal type updated

  • Ph.D.
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 9, 2009
      In the very early days of the United States republic,
      Congress enacted a 25% duty on imports of metal
      type, but no duty at all on matrices. This was to
      encourage a domestic type founding industry. (See
      "Irregularities in the Customs Shed" by Paul Duensing,
      1984, on Miller & Richard of Scotland's complaints
      in 1876 that they were being overcharged on the
      25% duty.)

      As far as I know this law still stands. My personal
      experience has been that if the type comes in a
      heavy enough box that it must be delivered by common
      carrier, you will have to go through a customs broker
      and pay the duty. If it's small enough to come via the
      post office or UPS, then it just shows up at your
      shop with no furthur ado. I don't know why the difference.

      --Ph. D.

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 9, 2009
        Makes sense. I recall one of the early, significant American type foundries did make an official complaint to the government about a duty on bismuth (I have a copy somewhere), wherein they cited restrictions as detrimental to purpose and commerce. Somewhat interesting to me as I assumed that antimony had replaced bismuth as an essential in type casting by the early 16th century.

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Ph.D." <phil@...> wrote:

        > In the very early days of the United States republic,
        > Congress enacted a 25% duty on imports of metal
        > type, but no duty at all on matrices. This was to
        > encourage a domestic type founding industry. (See
        > "Irregularities in the Customs Shed" by Paul Duensing,
        > 1984, on Miller & Richard of Scotland's complaints
        > in 1876 that they were being overcharged on the
        > 25% duty.)
        >
        > As far as I know this law still stands. My personal
        > experience has been that if the type comes in a
        > heavy enough box that it must be delivered by common
        > carrier, you will have to go through a customs broker
        > and pay the duty. If it's small enough to come via the
        > post office or UPS, then it just shows up at your
        > shop with no furthur ado. I don't know why the difference.
        >
        > --Ph. D.

      • interrobangletterpress
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2009
          As a point of reference: I've not paid duty on type imported from Europe.

          The four sizes of Gladiola I recently purchased from Stempel showed up via DHL in two heavy chipboard boxes. Two sizes of Juliet Script arrived 12 years ago via post in a small, heavy wooden crate packed with excelsior.

          The five fonts sent stateside of a custom casting of 10 fonts of 36pt Columna from Bauer needed to be picked up in two large boxes from customs at Logan Airport and after signing my name to the various forms, I walked out with duty free type then as well. The balance of the five fonts were drop-shipped from Barcelona to the five subscribers who help facilitate the casting by placing a deposit. I don't know if any of them were charged a duty, though I suspect not.