De-magnetizing a press buzz

  • laradurback
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3, 2009
      Hello all,

      My name is Lara Durback. I'm the studio manager in Book Art at Mills College in Oakland, CA.

      We have a Vandercook 219 press with an automatic carriage. It is a complete beauty, and runs great. I'd like to thank the Hicks Bros. in San Francisco for fixing it up for us so nicely and delivering it so smoothly a few months ago!

      I'm having one problem though, there is a horrible electrical buzzing that happens when, and only when, the carriage is idling at either end of the press. It is quiet as it rolls between either side. The noise doesn't bother me so much when I'm printing, but is intolerable when someone else is printing in the background while I'm at my desk in the next room! It's LOUD.

      I've been told by a wise printer that it needs to be demagnetized with a tool from "the age of cassette tapes," and I have procured a demagnetizing tool from my friends in the music department. I'm wondering if anyone else has experience with this, and has done this before? My music department friends are a little wary about giving advice for a press.

      I'd love some advice, before I go trying to use this thing!

      And, if anyone has questions about Mills or about general equipment things, I've got a week or so here before it gets crazy with the semester. Feel free to contact me. I'm at ldurback@...

      Sincerely,
      Lara
    • Harold Kyle
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 2009
        I would imagine the buzzing is relay chatter which can be reduced by
        cleaning the contacts on the main power relays with electrical
        cleaner. These are the circular metal disks within the big brown
        electrical blocks. Unplug the press, carefully label all parts as you
        take them apart so that you put them back together right. Notice some
        are normally open and others are normally closed. Soot builds up over
        time and causes arcing between the contacts.

        Harold

        --
        ---
        Boxcar Press
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 4, 2009
          CORRECTION: The press I am talking about is a Universal III with an automatic carriage, not a 219. (I can't BELIEVE that slip-up. I was thinking about my other favorite press.) I mis-spoke! It's been a long summer.

          Thanks, Harold, for your advice. So it's simply a matter of cleaning the relays, not using a plug-in demagnetizer tool at all?

          ~Lara