Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Digital as a Means to an End...

  • Austin Jones
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 2, 2009
      Yep!

      You can please All of the People Some of the Time
      You can please Some of the People All of the Time
      But, You can't Please All of the People All of the Time.

      tks

      Austin Jones
      prints by AJ
      austin@...
      http://printsbyaj.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 2, 2009
        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "rdziesing" <rziesing@...> wrote:

        > You know....I'm just not convinced that ANYone cares about the hours you spent slumped over a table straining your eyes and cursing your hand eye coordination.

        no strain; no cursing.

        and yes, many people care about real work, well done. perhaps since you can't to it, you can't know it.

        > Isn't the real purpose of any craft to produce the best possible product at the most reasonable price possible?

        no. think again. rather, just think.

        > I set my name and address by hand once. That was the first and final time I had any desire to do so.

        lame. you clearly aren't cut out for letterpress. stop pretending now.
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 2, 2009
          I heard this on the radio the other day: "All beer is good. But some
          beer is better." Some guy talking about his dad, who was involved in the
          business.

          Obviously folks value quality and the well crafted, and the better made.
          This is commonplace in everyday life, in our everyday values. I have
          never quite understood why there is such a particularly overt resistance
          to this though in the general communications that transverse the
          letterpress world.

          Michael Babcock wrote:
          > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "rdziesing" <rziesing@...> wrote:
          >
          >> You know....I'm just not convinced that ANYone cares about the hours you spent slumped over a table straining your eyes and cursing your hand eye coordination.
          >>

          > no strain; no cursing.
          >
          > and yes, many people care about real work, well done. perhaps since you can't to it, you can't know it.
          >

          >> Isn't the real purpose of any craft to produce the best possible product at the most reasonable price possible?
          >>

          > no. think again. rather, just think.
          >

          >> I set my name and address by hand once. That was the first and final time I had any desire to do so.
          >>

          > lame. you clearly aren't cut out for letterpress. stop pretending now.

        • leorawest
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 3, 2009
            Michael-
            Your mission and type collection are impressive; but if you've come to the photo polymer list only to insult those of us who use this method and those of us who do both, maybe you're in the wrong forum.
            Leora
          • Austin Jones
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 3, 2009
              I think Gerald went out of his way to try to be nice to everyone commenting
              on this issue. Lots of people have tried to be philosophical about the
              various wishes of different people. No one needs to be criticized for having
              an opinion, no matter what the opinion. Lets all be the tolerant ones we
              want everyone else to be.

              tks

              Austin Jones
              prints by AJ
              austin@...
              http://printsbyaj.com

              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 3, 2009
                In email discourse, it seems best if one takes the ancient Greek approach to logic/argument. One may, and should, question an idea that is perceived to be errant, but one should never attack the character of the person who uttered it as a part of the questioning. That serves no fruitful purpose.

                Gerald
                http://bielerpress.blogspot.com

                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Austin Jones" <austin@...> wrote:

                > I think Gerald went out of his way to try to be nice to everyone commenting
                > on this issue. Lots of people have tried to be philosophical about the
                > various wishes of different people. No one needs to be criticized for having
                > an opinion, no matter what the opinion. Lets all be the tolerant ones we
                > want everyone else to be.
                >
                > tks
                >
                > Austin Jones
                > prints by AJ
                > austin@...
                > http://printsbyaj.com

              • Casey McGarr
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 4, 2009
                  I felt the same way the first time I set some 10 pt type and it fell. Then picked the type back up and set it the correct way so it wouldn't fall.

                  There is a lot of satisfaction setting type by hand. Now granted I don't set every job I print by handset type but when I do its an accomplishment. Really an accomplishment when I have all the sorts, LOL.

                  However, thank you for photopolymer. What is not set by hand goes digital and I love it. Since I'm a graphic designer the opportunity to experiment with images and type is also very satisfying.

                  I have a few friends here in the Dallas area that only print photopolymer and another group of friends that handset the type. As long as we both get the final piece printed in the way it was envisioned then great for all of us.

                  Casey
                  http://www.inkylipspress.com