Process camera film

  • ductormanpaperboy
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 23, 2009
      Hello all

      I recently put my process camera back into production, and was wondering if anyone else still shoots negs?? and if film is still available for these cool machines. Right now I am using old CUCE film, any help would be appreciated.

      Cheers
      Ian
    • Ed Inman
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 23, 2009
        I use the Arista/Freestyle Ortho Lith film:
        http://www.freestylephoto.biz/c406-Black-and-White-Film-Ortho-Litho-Film

        Process in A&B developer under a red safelight:
        http://www.freestylephoto.biz/160025-Arista-Premium-Liquid-AandB-Lith-Developer-2-x-1-Gallon?cat_id=301

        Then clear it with any standard b/w fixer.

        This film is still quite inexpensive, can be exposed in the camera from the base side with a little longer exposure, and is outstanding for making photopolymer plates.

        If working from a PDF file I often print out the file 200 percent on my laser printer then shoot the image at 50 percent in the camera to get the sharpest negative.

        Some people who prefer to pay big bucks for imagesetter negatives tend to be rather dismissive about this process but with a little practice you can get awesome results.

        Ed

        >I recently put my process camera back into production, and was wondering if anyone else still shoots negs?? and if film is still available for these cool machines. Right now I am using old CUCE film, any help would be appreciated.
        >
        >Cheers
        >Ian

      • Rodney Grantham
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 23, 2009
          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "ductormanpaperboy" <ductormanpaperboy@...> wrote:

          > Hello all
          >
          > I recently put my process camera back into production, and was wondering if anyone else still shoots negs?? and if film is still available for these cool machines. Right now I am using old CUCE film, any help would be appreciated.
          >
          > Cheers
          > Ian

          Valley Litho Supply 1-800-826-5924 www.valleylitho.com is an excellent source for supplies and equipment. We've been buying from them for over 30 years. Ask for their catalog.

          Rod
        • parallel_imp
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 23, 2009
            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "ductormanpaperboy" <ductormanpaperboy@...> wrote:

            > Hello all
            >
            > I recently put my process camera back into production, and was wondering if anyone else still shoots negs?? and if film is still available for these cool machines. Right now I am using old CUCE film, any help would be appreciated.

            Ian, try Pressline HD film sold at Kelly Paper. It uses a single-solution developer that can last for weeks or months if kept from oxidation in an accordion bottle. It also produces a hard edge suitable for photopolymer, where lith film may have a softer edge. Shooting through the back to reverse orientation wasn't as good as on some other films though.
            --Eric Holub, SF