Re: [PPLetterpress] Bunting Base Question...

  • Clay Oliff
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 23, 2009
      Hello all,

      I am curious if you have seen a consistent movement "direction". On the C&P the obvious shear movement is the upward and downward travel by the ink rollers...not like a vandi of course. Have you verified proper ink roller setting?

      If it is in "all directions" with no pattern then I would tend to think it is more related to platen to chase pressure as mentioned previously...and oil contamination.

      Just thinking (typing) out loud. -Clay

      Clay Oliff
      cell: 304-839-9128
      office/fax: 304-874-3260
      em: clayoliff@...

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 23, 2009
        Hi Michelle,
        The plate movement you describe would be extreme even for a weaker magnetic
        base on a platen press. I don't have the bunting base, but with the patmag
        base normal printing does not cause slippage on a 4x6 plate. Small plates
        are more likely to move some, but a little masking tape on the edges is
        always sufficient to maintain registration.

        The only factor that makes sense to me would be use of a very tacky ink,
        which can cause the ink rollers to lift and drag the plate. Heavy impression
        on the platen does not have the rolling motion of a cylinder press.
        I'd suggest considering ink differences and ink roller contact if Gerald's
        visions of greasy solvents don't explain the problem.
        Best wishes,
        Tom

        Tom Parson/ Now It's Up To You
        157 S Logan, Denver CO 80209
        (303) 777-8951 home & printshop
        (720) 480-5358 cellphone
        _typetom@..._ (mailto:typetom@...)

        In a message dated 7/22/2009 10:41:50 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
        Bieler@... writes:

        Bunting Magnetics guarantees its Cerface bases will never lose their
        magnetism. What kind of solvents do you use to clean your press, bed, base,
        plates? Likely any slippage is going to be a combination of extreme impression
        and greasy solvents left on the base or plate. I've never experienced
        travel with a Bunting base (and I do count on that) but I can imagine that under
        certain circumstances anything can happen.

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "autumnmichellefoote"
        <autumnmichellefoote@...> wrote:

        > Dear List
        > I am having some pretty severe plate slippage while printing with my 6x9
        bunting base on my old style C&P. It has happened on four separate print
        runs, using plates from two different plate orders (same vendor but orders
        3 weeks apart), and on three different thicknesses of paper (all lettra.)
        The first time it occurred I thought it was due to the heavier impression
        on the 220lb lettra, but since it has occurred on the 110lb and the 32lb
        that thought has gone out the window.
        > Is it possible my base is loosing its magnetism? I am just at a loss
        and am not sure how to proceed as it is not efficient to re-setup every 5-10
        impressions, yes that is correct noticeable difference in 10 impressions to
        be precise 3/8 inch over the course of 60 impressions.
        > The plate sizes vary from 3 x 2 inches to 4.5 x 6 inches.
        > I have printed other plates processed in the same plate orders and have
        not had trouble with them.
        > Thank you for your responses in advance...
        > ~michelle foote

        **************What's for dinner tonight? Find quick and easy dinner ideas
        for any occasion.
        (http://food.aol.com/dinner-tonight?ncid=emlcntusfood00000009)

      • Scott Rubel
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 23, 2009
          When I was using Patmags I, too would have slippage. With very small
          plates just the action of the rollers on the C&P could do it. I used to
          have lots of scrap pieces of blank plate to block a small plate from
          moving, and sometime I would use spray glue as well. This can also
          happen if the platen and form are not perpendicular when the impression
          is made, I think, but even then the impression would have to be
          unbelievably hard. I would think you'd bust a bearing before you could
          get a hard enough hit to make the plate slip. I bet I could drive cars
          over my Bunting and the plate would not slip.

          --Scott

        • Bryan Hutcheson
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 23, 2009
            Slippage is extremely rare. We've only had it happen a couple of
            times on unusually difficult jobs. here are a few of scenarios

            - large image area with heavy coverage and very little excess plate
            material around the image to help hold plate in position

            - very small plate with heavy form roller pressure

            - uneven impression on the platen. We have had a plate move slightly
            when running very tight registration and the operator had too much
            packing material. The platen closing actually pulled the plate
            towards the bottom of the form.