Bunting Base Question...

  • autumnmichellefoote
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 22, 2009
      Dear List
      I am having some pretty severe plate slippage while printing with my 6x9 bunting base on my old style C&P. It has happened on four separate print runs, using plates from two different plate orders (same vendor but orders 3 weeks apart), and on three different thicknesses of paper (all lettra.) The first time it occurred I thought it was due to the heavier impression on the 220lb lettra, but since it has occurred on the 110lb and the 32lb that thought has gone out the window.
      Is it possible my base is loosing its magnetism? I am just at a loss and am not sure how to proceed as it is not efficient to re-setup every 5-10 impressions, yes that is correct noticeable difference in 10 impressions to be precise 3/8 inch over the course of 60 impressions.
      The plate sizes vary from 3 x 2 inches to 4.5 x 6 inches.
      I have printed other plates processed in the same plate orders and have not had trouble with them.
      Thank you for your responses in advance...
      ~michelle foote
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 22, 2009
        Bunting Magnetics guarantees its Cerface bases will never lose their magnetism. What kind of solvents do you use to clean your press, bed, base, plates? Likely any slippage is going to be a combination of extreme impression and greasy solvents left on the base or plate. I've never experienced travel with a Bunting base (and I do count on that) but I can imagine that under certain circumstances anything can happen.

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "autumnmichellefoote" <autumnmichellefoote@...> wrote:

        > Dear List
        > I am having some pretty severe plate slippage while printing with my 6x9 bunting base on my old style C&P. It has happened on four separate print runs, using plates from two different plate orders (same vendor but orders 3 weeks apart), and on three different thicknesses of paper (all lettra.) The first time it occurred I thought it was due to the heavier impression on the 220lb lettra, but since it has occurred on the 110lb and the 32lb that thought has gone out the window.
        > Is it possible my base is loosing its magnetism? I am just at a loss and am not sure how to proceed as it is not efficient to re-setup every 5-10 impressions, yes that is correct noticeable difference in 10 impressions to be precise 3/8 inch over the course of 60 impressions.
        > The plate sizes vary from 3 x 2 inches to 4.5 x 6 inches.
        > I have printed other plates processed in the same plate orders and have not had trouble with them.
        > Thank you for your responses in advance...
        > ~michelle foote

      • Scott Rubel
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 22, 2009
          Greasy surface seems like the only explanation. It is hard to imagine
          slippage with a Bunting. I've never seen it happen and can rely on it
          for hairline registrations.--Scott

          On Jul 22, 2009, at 9:40 PM, Gerald Lange wrote:

          > Bunting Magnetics guarantees its Cerface bases will never lose
          > their magnetism. What kind of solvents do you use to clean your
          > press, bed, base, plates? Likely any slippage is going to be a
          > combination of extreme impression and greasy solvents left on the
          > base or plate. I've never experienced travel with a Bunting base
          > (and I do count on that) but I can imagine that under certain
          > circumstances anything can happen.
          >
          > Gerald
          > http://BielerPress.blogspot.com
          >
          > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "autumnmichellefoote"
          > <autumnmichellefoote@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> Dear List
          >> I am having some pretty severe plate slippage while printing with
          >> my 6x9 bunting base on my old style C&P. It has happened on four
          >> separate print runs, using plates from two different plate orders
          >> (same vendor but orders 3 weeks apart), and on three different
          >> thicknesses of paper (all lettra.) The first time it occurred I
          >> thought it was due to the heavier impression on the 220lb lettra,
          >> but since it has occurred on the 110lb and the 32lb that thought
          >> has gone out the window.
          >> Is it possible my base is loosing its magnetism? I am just at a
          >> loss and am not sure how to proceed as it is not efficient to re-
          >> setup every 5-10 impressions, yes that is correct noticeable
          >> difference in 10 impressions to be precise 3/8 inch over the
          >> course of 60 impressions.
          >> The plate sizes vary from 3 x 2 inches to 4.5 x 6 inches.
          >> I have printed other plates processed in the same plate orders and
          >> have not had trouble with them.
          >> Thank you for your responses in advance...
          >> ~michelle foote

        • Clay Oliff
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 23, 2009
            Hello all,

            I am curious if you have seen a consistent movement "direction". On the C&P the obvious shear movement is the upward and downward travel by the ink rollers...not like a vandi of course. Have you verified proper ink roller setting?

            If it is in "all directions" with no pattern then I would tend to think it is more related to platen to chase pressure as mentioned previously...and oil contamination.

            Just thinking (typing) out loud. -Clay

            Clay Oliff
            cell: 304-839-9128
            office/fax: 304-874-3260
            em: clayoliff@...

          • typetom@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 23, 2009
              Hi Michelle,
              The plate movement you describe would be extreme even for a weaker magnetic
              base on a platen press. I don't have the bunting base, but with the patmag
              base normal printing does not cause slippage on a 4x6 plate. Small plates
              are more likely to move some, but a little masking tape on the edges is
              always sufficient to maintain registration.

              The only factor that makes sense to me would be use of a very tacky ink,
              which can cause the ink rollers to lift and drag the plate. Heavy impression
              on the platen does not have the rolling motion of a cylinder press.
              I'd suggest considering ink differences and ink roller contact if Gerald's
              visions of greasy solvents don't explain the problem.
              Best wishes,
              Tom

              Tom Parson/ Now It's Up To You
              157 S Logan, Denver CO 80209
              (303) 777-8951 home & printshop
              (720) 480-5358 cellphone
              _typetom@..._ (mailto:typetom@...)

              In a message dated 7/22/2009 10:41:50 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
              Bieler@... writes:

              Bunting Magnetics guarantees its Cerface bases will never lose their
              magnetism. What kind of solvents do you use to clean your press, bed, base,
              plates? Likely any slippage is going to be a combination of extreme impression
              and greasy solvents left on the base or plate. I've never experienced
              travel with a Bunting base (and I do count on that) but I can imagine that under
              certain circumstances anything can happen.

              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "autumnmichellefoote"
              <autumnmichellefoote@...> wrote:

              > Dear List
              > I am having some pretty severe plate slippage while printing with my 6x9
              bunting base on my old style C&P. It has happened on four separate print
              runs, using plates from two different plate orders (same vendor but orders
              3 weeks apart), and on three different thicknesses of paper (all lettra.)
              The first time it occurred I thought it was due to the heavier impression
              on the 220lb lettra, but since it has occurred on the 110lb and the 32lb
              that thought has gone out the window.
              > Is it possible my base is loosing its magnetism? I am just at a loss
              and am not sure how to proceed as it is not efficient to re-setup every 5-10
              impressions, yes that is correct noticeable difference in 10 impressions to
              be precise 3/8 inch over the course of 60 impressions.
              > The plate sizes vary from 3 x 2 inches to 4.5 x 6 inches.
              > I have printed other plates processed in the same plate orders and have
              not had trouble with them.
              > Thank you for your responses in advance...
              > ~michelle foote

              **************What's for dinner tonight? Find quick and easy dinner ideas
              for any occasion.
              (http://food.aol.com/dinner-tonight?ncid=emlcntusfood00000009)

            • Scott Rubel
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 23, 2009
                When I was using Patmags I, too would have slippage. With very small
                plates just the action of the rollers on the C&P could do it. I used to
                have lots of scrap pieces of blank plate to block a small plate from
                moving, and sometime I would use spray glue as well. This can also
                happen if the platen and form are not perpendicular when the impression
                is made, I think, but even then the impression would have to be
                unbelievably hard. I would think you'd bust a bearing before you could
                get a hard enough hit to make the plate slip. I bet I could drive cars
                over my Bunting and the plate would not slip.

                --Scott

              • Bryan Hutcheson
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 23, 2009
                  Slippage is extremely rare. We've only had it happen a couple of
                  times on unusually difficult jobs. here are a few of scenarios

                  - large image area with heavy coverage and very little excess plate
                  material around the image to help hold plate in position

                  - very small plate with heavy form roller pressure

                  - uneven impression on the platen. We have had a plate move slightly
                  when running very tight registration and the operator had too much
                  packing material. The platen closing actually pulled the plate
                  towards the bottom of the form.