Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Dampening

  • John Risseeuw
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 2, 2002
      The first paper machine was patented by Louis Robert in France in 1798,
      followed by the Fourdrinier brothers, Henry and Sealy, working with Brian
      Donkin in England. Between 1803 and 1807 they developed the paper machine
      design still used today called the "fourdrinier". So it wasn't an American
      invention. Paper machines came to this country around mid 19th C. but by
      1860, even though machines were being used for a lot of papermaking, the
      content of most papers is still rags. So the paper is still similar to
      handmade and would respond to dampening the same.

      I'd guess that dampened paper would be slower to feed through the
      increasingly faster presses of the late 19th C. and so dry paper would be
      an advantage for speedier production. Those printing with hand presses
      probably still dampened, whether using handmade or machine made.

      Here in arid Arizona, I find dampened paper just too difficult to print on
      reliably. Maintaining a consistent moisture content through repeated
      printings and maintaining registration is impossible. Dry printing works
      for me just fine.

      John Risseeuw

      >Do you think this is the reason for the switch? or was it the result
      >of the American invention of the Fourdriner(sp? my reference books are
      >in storage) paper machine, which eliminated the need for handmade
      >paper? and served as the impetus for the success of the machine-driven
      >cylinder presses. Or do I have my dates wrong?

      John L. Risseeuw, Professor
      Director, Pyracantha Press
      School of Art
      Box 871505