P22's Civilitie

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 20, 2009
      I did a chapbook for Gruffyground Press

      http://bielerpressvi.blogspot.com/2006/04/gruffyground-press-chapbooks.html

      a while back and the only font available that matched the Sem Hartz setting was Hoefler & Frere-Jones' digital rendition, St Augustin. Unfortunately, it was purposely not cleaned up, in situ, as they say.

      P22 has recently released this

      http://p22.com/products/civilite.html

      You will want to download the PDF to get the full breadth of it.

      There are both "modern" and "historical" versions included.

      Couple of problems. Where is the authentic lowercase r. Secondly, authentic civilité requires "lots" of rules for proper setting. Certain characters can only be used at the beginning of words, others internally in words, others as final. I did not find a composition guide included with the font description.

      Still, I love to see this kind of effort on the part of digital foundries and P22 is to be applauded. Will this be used much? I can't imagine why, but it is one of the greatest of historical typography's letterforms. The printed pages of the Lettres Françoise Civilité of Robert Granjon are absolutely stunning. In full text, this face is a thing of beauty.

      An additional bonus here, are the cap initials provided. Only these will properly work with this little puppy.

    • Dan Franklin
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 20, 2009
        Gerald Lange reports on p22's release of Civilité:

        >Secondly, authentic civilité requires "lots" of
        >rules for proper setting. Certain characters can
        >only be used at the beginning of words, others
        >internally in words, others as final. I did not
        >find a composition guide included with the font
        >description.

        It's possible the initial, medial, and final
        selections are automatically made by the OpenType
        apparatus.

        I'd love to buy this font -- just to have it now,
        eventually to use it for some (probably)
        nonpaying job -- but every time I spend 20 bucks
        or so on a font (and this one's 5 times that), I
        feel obliged to match the purchase with 2 to 3
        skeins of yarn for my wife. My digital font stash
        is still much greater than her yarn stash, in
        part because my fonts are self-replenishing and
        eternal, whereas her yarn becomes sweaters and
        shawls and scarves for Warm Woolies and other
        charity knitting organizations.
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 21, 2009
          Dan

          I am very tempted as well. If you buy it all before the end of the month, you can get Pabst Oldstyle for free. How's that for an improbable but likeable combination?. If you need the email in this regard, let me know and I will forward it. They also have coffee mugs for sale with Edward Johnston's London Underground type. Typographie mon amour.

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Dan Franklin <dan@...> wrote:

          > Gerald Lange reports on p22's release of Civilité:
          >
          > >Secondly, authentic civilité requires "lots" of
          > >rules for proper setting. Certain characters can
          > >only be used at the beginning of words, others
          > >internally in words, others as final. I did not
          > >find a composition guide included with the font
          > >description.
          >
          > It's possible the initial, medial, and final
          > selections are automatically made by the OpenType
          > apparatus.
          >
          > I'd love to buy this font -- just to have it now,
          > eventually to use it for some (probably)
          > nonpaying job -- but every time I spend 20 bucks
          > or so on a font (and this one's 5 times that), I
          > feel obliged to match the purchase with 2 to 3
          > skeins of yarn for my wife. My digital font stash
          > is still much greater than her yarn stash, in
          > part because my fonts are self-replenishing and
          > eternal, whereas her yarn becomes sweaters and
          > shawls and scarves for Warm Woolies and other
          > charity knitting organizations.

        • Harold Kyle
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 21, 2009
            At the risk of veering off topic, P22 is everywhere this morning:
            http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204900904574300254129113502.html
            (I like the part about dusting off letterpress printers.)

            Harold

            --
            ---
            Boxcar Press
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 21, 2009
              I hope everyone can appreciate that my "quotes" were highly condensed and
              not quite accurate edits. I wish they would have had me fact check..but hey,
              it's exposure.

              On 7/21/09 7:21 AM, "Harold Kyle" <harold@...> wrote:

              > At the risk of veering off topic, P22 is everywhere this morning:
              > http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204900904574300254129113502.html
              > (I like the part about dusting off letterpress printers.)
              >
              > Harold

              Richard Kegler
              P22 type foundry, Inc.
              Not your typical type