RE: label stock

  • Katelynn Corrigan
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 14, 2009
      Hi Lisa and all-

      For bookplates please make sure you get 'acid free' stock so it doesn't discolor the inside of your client's books!

      Classic Crest is a good stand by as they have a number of shades of white. Strathmore Writing is another easy to find, quality label stock. Most mills sell directly off their web sites in small quantities these days; so I think it would be worthwhile for even the smallest shops to spend a little time checking out the various sites and requesting swatch books- Mohawk, Smart Papers, French Paper and Neeneh are some good basics.

      I've also purchased label stock from the Labelblank people, as they have an interesting selection of colors, but as the paper is just called by their house names, it can be hard to tell what you're getting 'till it comes. Waste Not Paper (aka Papersource) sell packs of colored label stock aimed at the crafty end market consumer but also could be good to print on.

      Be well,

      -Katey
      B Designs Letterpress
      & Confection Letterpress

    • Lisa Rappoport
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 14, 2009
        >Hi Lisa and all-

        For bookplates please make sure you get 'acid free' stock so it doesn't discolor the inside of your client's books!

        Classic Crest is a good stand by as they have a number of shades of white. Strathmore Writing is another easy to find, quality label stock. Most mills sell directly off their web sites in small quantities these days; so I think it would be worthwhile for even the smallest shops to spend a little time checking out the various sites and requesting swatch books- Mohawk, Smart Papers, French Paper and Neeneh are some good basics.

        I've also purchased label stock from the Labelblank people, as they have an interesting selection of colors, but as the paper is just called by their house names, it can be hard to tell what you're getting 'till it comes. Waste Not Paper (aka Papersource) sell packs of colored label stock aimed at the crafty end market consumer but also could be good to print on.

        Dear Katey,
        Yes, acid-free is a definite must. Thanks so much for all the suggestions--I'll check them out and post what I end up using.
        Best,
        Lisa
        Littoral Press
      • Bethany Carter
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 17, 2009
          Hello,

          Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with the practice of gilding the edges of thick, 600 grm. paper or something similar? I have a client that would like this for the edges of their business cards and am even wondering if it can be done. I have experience with painting the edges with metallic paint, but not actual gilding. Any help or advice would be appreciated!

          Thank you in advance!

          Bethany

        • Scott Rubel
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 17, 2009
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bClJvo4jro&feature=related

            Here is one video on coloring edges. I can't get the sound to work on
            it, but I saw this process demonstrated at Vroman's Book Store in
            Pasadena once, and this video looks just like what I saw.

            Bethany Carter wrote:
            > Hello,
            >

            > Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with the practice of gilding the edges of thick, 600 grm. paper or something similar? I have a client that would like this for the edges of their business cards and am even wondering if it can be done. I have experience with painting the edges with metallic paint, but not actual gilding. Any help or advice would be appreciated!
            >

            > Thank you in advance!
            >

            > Bethany

          • okintertype
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 17, 2009
              Very interesting. What is the first step she is doing with what looks like a bone folder? What kind of ink do they use? How thin? How do they keep the pages from sticking together?

              Stan

              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Scott Rubel <scott@...> wrote:

              > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bClJvo4jro&feature=related
              >
              > Here is one video on coloring edges. I can't get the sound to work on
              > it, but I saw this process demonstrated at Vroman's Book Store in
              > Pasadena once, and this video looks just like what I saw.
              >
              > Bethany Carter wrote:
              > > Hello,
              > >

              > > Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with the practice of gilding the edges of thick, 600 grm. paper or something similar? I have a client that would like this for the edges of their business cards and am even wondering if it can be done. I have experience with painting the edges with metallic paint, but not actual gilding. Any help or advice would be appreciated!
              > >

              > > Thank you in advance!
              > >

              > > Bethany

            • Jack Reisland
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 17, 2009
                Here is their video for gilding edges.

                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfC4UwmHu8U&feature=related

                Best Regards, Jack Reisland

                On Nov 17, 2009, at 5:18 PM, okintertype wrote:

                > Very interesting. What is the first step she is doing with what
                > looks like a bone folder? What kind of ink do they use? How thin?
                > How do they keep the pages from sticking together?
                >
                > Stan
                >
                > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Scott Rubel <scott@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bClJvo4jro&feature=related
                > >
                > > Here is one video on coloring edges. I can't get the sound to work
                > on
                > > it, but I saw this process demonstrated at Vroman's Book Store in
                > > Pasadena once, and this video looks just like what I saw.
                > >
                > > Bethany Carter wrote:
                > > > Hello,
                > > >

                > > > Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with the practice
                > of gilding the edges of thick, 600 grm. paper or something similar?
                > I have a client that would like this for the edges of their business
                > cards and am even wondering if it can be done. I have experience
                > with painting the edges with metallic paint, but not actual gilding.
                > Any help or advice would be appreciated!
                > > >

                > > > Thank you in advance!
                > > >

                > > > Bethany

              • Scott Rubel
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 18, 2009
                  Does the sound work on yours? It doesn't work for me, even though it
                  seems to work on all other YouTube videos. --Scott

                  okintertype wrote:
                  > Very interesting. What is the first step she is doing with what looks like a bone folder? What kind of ink do they use? How thin? How do they keep the pages from sticking together?
                  >
                  > Stan
                  >
                  > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Scott Rubel <scott@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bClJvo4jro&feature=related
                  >>
                  >> Here is one video on coloring edges. I can't get the sound to work on
                  >> it, but I saw this process demonstrated at Vroman's Book Store in
                  >> Pasadena once, and this video looks just like what I saw.
                  >>
                  >> Bethany Carter wrote:
                  >>
                  >>> Hello,
                  >>>

                  >>> Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with the practice of gilding the edges of thick, 600 grm. paper or something similar? I have a client that would like this for the edges of their business cards and am even wondering if it can be done. I have experience with painting the edges with metallic paint, but not actual gilding. Any help or advice would be appreciated!
                  >>>

                  >>> Thank you in advance!
                  >>>

                  >>> Bethany

                • Jack Reisland
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 18, 2009
                    Not all YouTube videos have sound. It may be that they didn't bother
                    to upload sound on this one. By the way, if you are gilding the edges
                    of thick paper, you can skip the step of fanning and then beveling the
                    edges of the paper if you wish.

                    Best Regards, Jack Reisland

                    On Nov 18, 2009, at 5:12 AM, Scott Rubel wrote:

                    > Does the sound work on yours? It doesn't work for me, even though it
                    > seems to work on all other YouTube videos. --Scott
                    >
                    > okintertype wrote:
                    > > Very interesting. What is the first step she is doing with what
                    > looks like a bone folder? What kind of ink do they use? How thin?
                    > How do they keep the pages from sticking together?
                    > >
                    > > Stan
                    > >
                    > > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Scott Rubel <scott@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bClJvo4jro&feature=related
                    > >>
                    > >> Here is one video on coloring edges. I can't get the sound to
                    > work on
                    > >> it, but I saw this process demonstrated at Vroman's Book Store in
                    > >> Pasadena once, and this video looks just like what I saw.

                    > of gilding the edges of thick, 600 grm. paper or something similar?
                    > I have a client that would like this for the edges of their business
                    > cards and am even wondering if it can be done. I have experience
                    > with painting the edges with metallic paint, but not actual gilding.
                    > Any help or advice would be appreciated!

                  • Bethany Carter
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 15, 2009
                      Hello,

                      Does anyone know where to purchase California Wash on the East coast? Maybe even Southeast? I'm having trouble finding it and am tired of paying West coast shipping charges all the way to Savannah.

                      Also, would any printers out there be willing to sell me some medium weight coaster paper? I have a client that wants coasters printed and I have no need of 200 sheets which is the smallest amount I can purchase it in. I would probably need 30 sheets. Please let me know off list if anyone is interested. Happy Tuesday everyone!

                      Thank you!!!

                      Bethany

                    • Scott Rubel
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 15, 2009
                        Try Keldon Paper. I believe they will break packages and sell less
                        sheets. I'm not sure what you want for coaster paper. They have samples
                        printed on round coasters made of 220# Crane Lettra.

                        http://www.keldonpaper.com

                        --Scott

                        Bethany Carter wrote:
                        > Hello,
                        >
                        > Does anyone know where to purchase California Wash on the East coast? Maybe even Southeast? I'm having trouble finding it and am tired of paying West coast shipping charges all the way to Savannah.
                        >
                        > Also, would any printers out there be willing to sell me some medium weight coaster paper? I have a client that wants coasters printed and I have no need of 200 sheets which is the smallest amount I can purchase it in. I would probably need 30 sheets. Please let me know off list if anyone is interested. Happy Tuesday everyone!
                        >
                        > Thank you!!!
                        >
                        > Bethany
                      • Bryan Hutcheson
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 15, 2009
                          Bethany

                          we sell blank coasters pre-cut to 4" round, 4" square w/ round
                          corners and 3.5" circles. We offer them in our 140# Holyoke Premium
                          Cotton and .080 Standard Coaster board

                          bryan hutcheson
                          - manifesto letterpress
                          - industrie standard
                          - holyoke fine papers

                          4 open square way, L101
                          holyoke, ma 01040
                          p:413.532.3360
                          f:413.532.3387
                          www.manifestopress.com
                          _________________________________
                          full-service commercial letterpress
                          announcements
                          stationery
                          packaging
                          posters

                        • Bethany Carter
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 15, 2009
                            "Try Keldon Paper. I believe they will break packages and sell less
                            sheets. I'm not sure what you want for coaster paper. They have samples
                            printed on round coasters made of 220# Crane Lettra."

                            Hmmm.....maybe I'm missing something but I thought you had to get special paper for use as coasters. Please correct me if I'm wrong because I already use 220# Lettra for invitations and have access to that......

                            Thank you!!!

                            Bethany

                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 15, 2009
                              What is the cost per M, please.

                              Thanks,

                              Speed Gray
                              Grand Rapids, MI

                              In a message dated 12/15/2009 12:06:26 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                              bryan@... writes:

                              Bethany

                              we sell blank coasters pre-cut to 4" round, 4" square w/ round
                              corners and 3.5" circles. We offer them in our 140# Holyoke Premium
                              Cotton and .080 Standard Coaster board

                              bryan hutcheson
                              - manifesto letterpress
                              - industrie standard
                              - holyoke fine papers

                              4 open square way, L101
                              holyoke, ma 01040
                              p:413.532.3360
                              f:413.532.3387
                              www.manifestopress.www

                            • Scott Rubel
                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 15, 2009
                                I doubt that that Crane Lettra is the very best coaster paper, at
                                least not if they're to be used as coasters that are to be used
                                again. However, when I walked into their office they offered free
                                samples of that very paper die-cut round with their information
                                letterpress printed on the circles.

                                On Dec 15, 2009, at 1:54 PM, Bethany Carter wrote:

                                > "Try Keldon Paper. I believe they will break packages and sell less
                                > sheets. I'm not sure what you want for coaster paper. They have
                                > samples
                                > printed on round coasters made of 220# Crane Lettra."
                                >

                                > Hmmm.....maybe I'm missing something but I thought you had to get
                                > special paper for use as coasters. Please correct me if I'm wrong
                                > because I already use 220# Lettra for invitations and have access
                                > to that......
                                >

                                > Thank you!!!
                                >

                                > Bethany

                              • heavyimprint
                                Message 15 of 17 , Dec 15, 2009
                                  Is it possible to do a full edge bleed on a coaster on the windmill?? My guess is no obviously because of the gripper bar.

                                  --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, speedgray@... wrote:

                                  > What is the cost per M, please.
                                  >
                                  > Thanks,
                                  >
                                  > Speed Gray
                                  > Grand Rapids, MI
                                  >

                                  > In a message dated 12/15/2009 12:06:26 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                                  > bryan@... writes:
                                  >

                                  > Bethany
                                  >
                                  > we sell blank coasters pre-cut to 4" round, 4" square w/ round
                                  > corners and 3.5" circles. We offer them in our 140# Holyoke Premium
                                  > Cotton and .080 Standard Coaster board
                                  >
                                  > bryan hutcheson
                                  > - manifesto letterpress
                                  > - industrie standard
                                  > - holyoke fine papers
                                  >
                                  > 4 open square way, L101
                                  > holyoke, ma 01040
                                  > p:413.532.3360
                                  > f:413.532.3387
                                  > www.manifestopress.www

                                • Leora West Mauck
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Dec 15, 2009
                                    We like the coasters from American Coaster. They offer several weights of coaster board, of which we use the heaviest, the stock is 100% recycled, and the price is right!

                                    Leora Mauck

                                    ________________________________
                                    I doubt that that Crane Lettra is the very best coaster paper, at
                                    least not if they're to be used as coasters that are to be used
                                    again. However, when I walked into their office they offered free
                                    samples of that very paper die-cut round with their information
                                    letterpress printed on the circles.

                                    On Dec 15, 2009, at 1:54 PM, Bethany Carter wrote:

                                    > "Try Keldon Paper. I believe they will break packages and sell less
                                    > sheets. I'm not sure what you want for coaster paper. They have
                                    > samples
                                    > printed on round coasters made of 220# Crane Lettra."
                                    >

                                    > Hmmm.....maybe I'm missing something but I thought you had to get
                                    > special paper for use as coasters. Please correct me if I'm wrong
                                    > because I already use 220# Lettra for invitations and have access
                                    > to that......
                                    >

                                    > Thank you!!!
                                    >

                                    > Bethany

                                    > http://clk.atdmt com/GBL/go/ 171222984/ direct/01/

                                  • Clay Oliff
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Dec 15, 2009
                                      Hi Bethany,

                                      Where on the East coast are you exactly. I would recommend PRISCO (Printers Service Company) I can provide local reps name if I know your town.

                                      Clay Oliff
                                      cell: 304-839-9128
                                      office/fax: 304-874-3260
                                      em: clayoliff@...