Re: [PPLetterpress] Social Networks

  • Austin Jones
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 11, 2009
      Perhaps you are correct. Everyone has been warned about these Social
      Networks - not once but many times. They are a menace to society and should
      be avoided. Now - warned many times, mess up and suffer the consequences.

      tks

      Austin Jones
      prints by AJ
      austin@...
      http://printsbyaj.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 11, 2009
        I recently acquired a cut I can't identify and would appreciate any help.
        I've made a post on my blog with a photo and description:

        http://frontroompress.blogspot.com

        Thanks!

        Rich

        --
        Richard Polinski
        Front Room Press
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 11, 2009
          Lance,
          You will also notice that Gerald did not write that they were "banned"
          only that they would be removed from the list. If they wish to rejoin
          they can probably negotiate with Gerald to get back on.
          Dave Allen

          840 Snowdrop Ave. Victoria BC V8Z 2N4
          (250)888-9380 http://www.Bookbinder.ca

          Lance Williams wrote:
          > Austin,
          >
          > The point was that these networks DO NOT give you any advance notice that
          > the invitation will be sent to ALL entries in the address book... Common
          > thought would be to have the ability to select from entries in your address
          > book... This will happen to a lot of people ONCE and should be excused....
          > TWICE, and I am fully behind Gerald's decision..... I still think it
          > should be "Once Warned, twice banned"....
          >
          > - Lance Williams
          > Williams Stationery Co.
          > Camden, New York
          > APA #785

        • Chad Pastotnik
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 12, 2009
            I just checked out a little basement shop for sale in Grand Rapids,
            MI. The seller would like to get rid of it all soon and it's pretty
            complete for anyone in need of a full start up operation or to flesh
            out their shop:

            10x15 C&P w/ 2 chases and motor, w/ 2 good but dirty rollers

            16" Challenge tabletop guillotine

            furniture cabinet

            1 nice 24 case Hamilton wood cabinet full of nothing special type

            1 not so nice (paint, mixed case) 24 case Hamilton wood, empty w/ 7
            metal cases and 16 wood

            imposing stone

            x5 Super Speed Bimatic numbering machines that match + one broken

            x5 older National and American numbering machines

            Wickersham coins, some leading, etc.

            I am just listing this for the owner and have nothing else to do with
            transactions beyond this. Really nice older gentleman who needs to
            reclaim his basement. Here is his contact info to inquire for prices:

            Bill Karpowicz
            616-459-9238
            bk1924@...

            Good luck.

            ___________________________
            Chad Pastotnik
            Deep Wood Press 231.587.0506
            http://www.deepwoodpress.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 12, 2009
              Lance

              I understand the concerns, however, many of these social networks are abused by spammers. I get invitations almost weekly from sites I have never heard of and people I do not know. Word is, if you don't know the person or the site, don't respond. The fact that we are getting bombarded by this stuff, at least, I am as owner/moderator (moderated posters posts come to me), makes this a serious concern. Today we got two back to back posts from an unmoderated poster. Kind of pissed me off. I'm tired of this. If you need to communicate with your friends and the only way you know how to is with automated lists, well, try email or snail mail or give them a phone call. If you need all the "friends" you can possible gather or who you want to know your every whim, invite them to your social network, one at a time.

              Gerald

              > Austin,
              >
              > The point was that these networks DO NOT give you any advance notice that
              > the invitation will be sent to ALL entries in the address book... Common
              > thought would be to have the ability to select from entries in your address
              > book... This will happen to a lot of people ONCE and should be excused....
              > TWICE, and I am fully behind Gerald's decision..... I still think it
              > should be "Once Warned, twice banned"....
              >
              > - Lance Williams
              > Williams Stationery Co.
              > Camden, New York
              > APA #785

            • tricia treacy
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 13, 2009
                Hello,

                I am doing a relatively low-budget, label project for someone and
                need to get sticker paper. I don't want to order this in bulk since
                we are doing a small run. Does anyone have any left-over off-cuts of
                sticker paper in their studio that they would be willing to sell or
                trade? Also, if anyone has a good suggestion of where to buy smaller
                quantities of sticker paper, that would be helpful, as well.

                We just threw out a large box of this at our school shop and I wished
                that I had held onto it.

                Thanks very much.

                Best, Tricia

                Tricia Treacy : Pointed Press : www.pointedpress.com

              • leorawest
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 13, 2009
                  Where is your shop located? I have lots in recycled white and textured kraft in full sheets in the Los Angeles area.
                • Keetgi Kogan
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 13, 2009
                    Hi! I don't have any but have also been looking to get some. Can anyone
                    recommend a good brand?

                    Thank you!

                    --Keetgi

                    ___

                    Keetgi Kogan

                    Monkey Business

                    477 Hillside Lane

                    Santa Monica, California 90402

                    310 454 7947

                    310 383 5972

                    keetgi.kogan@...

                    monkeybusinesspress.com

                  • Lisa Rappoport
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 13, 2009
                      > Hi! I don't have any but have also been looking to get some. Can anyone
                      recommend a good brand?

                      Hi Keetgi and others,
                      I too am about to look for some nice self-adhesive label paper. I've printed on some material from Labelblank, described as "blank die-cut labels for offset & letterpress printing." It's 60lb. stock, not bad but I'd like to find a nicer paper, probably but not necessarily in whole sheets to cut myself.

                      I did a little googling and found that Classic Crest has some: 70lb text uncoated avalanche white (other colors too, I think) smooth finsh. Has anyone tried that, or anything similar? This will be for bookplates for a client who doesn't want to apply glue, so it has to be self-adhesive, but a good quality paper would be great.

                      Lisa
                      Littoral Press
                      Oakland, CA
                    • tjstrandberg
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 13, 2013
                        Does any one have an additional recommendations for label paper since this last post?

                        Thanks,

                        TJ

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 16, 2013
                          Check the Strathmore or Neenah lines.
                          I've been very pleased with the self adhesive stock, comes in letter size packs.

                          PF

                          •=^=•=^=•=^=•=^=•=^=•=^=•=^=•=^=
                          Peter Fraterdeus
                          Slowprint.com / Semiotx.com

                          On Jan 13, 2013, at 1:06 PM, tjstrandberg <tjstrandberg@...> wrote:

                          > Does any one have an additional recommendations for label paper since this last post?
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          >
                          > TJ
                          >
                          > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Rappoport wrote:
                          >>
                          >>> Hi! I don't have any but have also been looking to get some. Can anyone
                          >> recommend a good brand?
                          >>
                          >> Hi Keetgi and others,
                          >> I too am about to look for some nice self-adhesive label paper. I've printed on some material from Labelblank, described as "blank die-cut labels for offset & letterpress printing." It's 60lb. stock, not bad but I'd like to find a nicer paper, probably but not necessarily in whole sheets to cut myself.
                          >>
                          >> I did a little googling and found that Classic Crest has some: 70lb text uncoated avalanche white (other colors too, I think) smooth finsh. Has anyone tried that, or anything similar? This will be for bookplates for a client who doesn't want to apply glue, so it has to be self-adhesive, but a good quality paper would be great.
                          >>
                          >> Lisa
                          >> Littoral Press
                          >> Oakland, CA

                        • Leora West Mauck
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 17, 2013
                            Yes we've had great luck with both of those and with Mohawk whose jute and soft white match Lettea pearl and ecru nicely.

                            Leora Mauck, Co-Proprietor
                            Copper Willow Paper Studio
                            310.836.6004 and www.copperwillow.com

                            Sent from my mobile device so please excuse typos