Re: [PPLetterpress] Social Networks

  • Lance Williams
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 11 7:27 AM
      Austin,

      The point was that these networks DO NOT give you any advance notice that
      the invitation will be sent to ALL entries in the address book... Common
      thought would be to have the ability to select from entries in your address
      book... This will happen to a lot of people ONCE and should be excused....
      TWICE, and I am fully behind Gerald's decision..... I still think it
      should be "Once Warned, twice banned"....

      - Lance Williams
      Williams Stationery Co.
      Camden, New York
      APA #785

    • Austin Jones
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 11 7:36 AM
        Perhaps you are correct. Everyone has been warned about these Social
        Networks - not once but many times. They are a menace to society and should
        be avoided. Now - warned many times, mess up and suffer the consequences.

        tks

        Austin Jones
        prints by AJ
        austin@...
        http://printsbyaj.com

      • rpolinski@nac.net
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 11 9:19 AM
          I recently acquired a cut I can't identify and would appreciate any help.
          I've made a post on my blog with a photo and description:

          http://frontroompress.blogspot.com

          Thanks!

          Rich

          --
          Richard Polinski
          Front Room Press
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 11 10:34 AM
            Lance,
            You will also notice that Gerald did not write that they were "banned"
            only that they would be removed from the list. If they wish to rejoin
            they can probably negotiate with Gerald to get back on.
            Dave Allen

            840 Snowdrop Ave. Victoria BC V8Z 2N4
            (250)888-9380 http://www.Bookbinder.ca

            Lance Williams wrote:
            > Austin,
            >
            > The point was that these networks DO NOT give you any advance notice that
            > the invitation will be sent to ALL entries in the address book... Common
            > thought would be to have the ability to select from entries in your address
            > book... This will happen to a lot of people ONCE and should be excused....
            > TWICE, and I am fully behind Gerald's decision..... I still think it
            > should be "Once Warned, twice banned"....
            >
            > - Lance Williams
            > Williams Stationery Co.
            > Camden, New York
            > APA #785

          • Chad Pastotnik
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 12 9:04 AM
              I just checked out a little basement shop for sale in Grand Rapids,
              MI. The seller would like to get rid of it all soon and it's pretty
              complete for anyone in need of a full start up operation or to flesh
              out their shop:

              10x15 C&P w/ 2 chases and motor, w/ 2 good but dirty rollers

              16" Challenge tabletop guillotine

              furniture cabinet

              1 nice 24 case Hamilton wood cabinet full of nothing special type

              1 not so nice (paint, mixed case) 24 case Hamilton wood, empty w/ 7
              metal cases and 16 wood

              imposing stone

              x5 Super Speed Bimatic numbering machines that match + one broken

              x5 older National and American numbering machines

              Wickersham coins, some leading, etc.

              I am just listing this for the owner and have nothing else to do with
              transactions beyond this. Really nice older gentleman who needs to
              reclaim his basement. Here is his contact info to inquire for prices:

              Bill Karpowicz
              616-459-9238
              bk1924@...

              Good luck.

              ___________________________
              Chad Pastotnik
              Deep Wood Press 231.587.0506
              http://www.deepwoodpress.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 12 9:30 PM
                Lance

                I understand the concerns, however, many of these social networks are abused by spammers. I get invitations almost weekly from sites I have never heard of and people I do not know. Word is, if you don't know the person or the site, don't respond. The fact that we are getting bombarded by this stuff, at least, I am as owner/moderator (moderated posters posts come to me), makes this a serious concern. Today we got two back to back posts from an unmoderated poster. Kind of pissed me off. I'm tired of this. If you need to communicate with your friends and the only way you know how to is with automated lists, well, try email or snail mail or give them a phone call. If you need all the "friends" you can possible gather or who you want to know your every whim, invite them to your social network, one at a time.

                Gerald

                > Austin,
                >
                > The point was that these networks DO NOT give you any advance notice that
                > the invitation will be sent to ALL entries in the address book... Common
                > thought would be to have the ability to select from entries in your address
                > book... This will happen to a lot of people ONCE and should be excused....
                > TWICE, and I am fully behind Gerald's decision..... I still think it
                > should be "Once Warned, twice banned"....
                >
                > - Lance Williams
                > Williams Stationery Co.
                > Camden, New York
                > APA #785

              • tricia treacy
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 13 10:25 AM
                  Hello,

                  I am doing a relatively low-budget, label project for someone and
                  need to get sticker paper. I don't want to order this in bulk since
                  we are doing a small run. Does anyone have any left-over off-cuts of
                  sticker paper in their studio that they would be willing to sell or
                  trade? Also, if anyone has a good suggestion of where to buy smaller
                  quantities of sticker paper, that would be helpful, as well.

                  We just threw out a large box of this at our school shop and I wished
                  that I had held onto it.

                  Thanks very much.

                  Best, Tricia

                  Tricia Treacy : Pointed Press : www.pointedpress.com

                • leorawest
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 13 10:43 AM
                    Where is your shop located? I have lots in recycled white and textured kraft in full sheets in the Los Angeles area.
                  • Keetgi Kogan
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 13 3:26 PM
                      Hi! I don't have any but have also been looking to get some. Can anyone
                      recommend a good brand?

                      Thank you!

                      --Keetgi

                      ___

                      Keetgi Kogan

                      Monkey Business

                      477 Hillside Lane

                      Santa Monica, California 90402

                      310 454 7947

                      310 383 5972

                      keetgi.kogan@...

                      monkeybusinesspress.com

                    • Lisa Rappoport
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 13 9:57 PM
                        > Hi! I don't have any but have also been looking to get some. Can anyone
                        recommend a good brand?

                        Hi Keetgi and others,
                        I too am about to look for some nice self-adhesive label paper. I've printed on some material from Labelblank, described as "blank die-cut labels for offset & letterpress printing." It's 60lb. stock, not bad but I'd like to find a nicer paper, probably but not necessarily in whole sheets to cut myself.

                        I did a little googling and found that Classic Crest has some: 70lb text uncoated avalanche white (other colors too, I think) smooth finsh. Has anyone tried that, or anything similar? This will be for bookplates for a client who doesn't want to apply glue, so it has to be self-adhesive, but a good quality paper would be great.

                        Lisa
                        Littoral Press
                        Oakland, CA
                      • tjstrandberg
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 13, 2013
                          Does any one have an additional recommendations for label paper since this last post?

                          Thanks,

                          TJ

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 16, 2013
                            Check the Strathmore or Neenah lines.
                            I've been very pleased with the self adhesive stock, comes in letter size packs.

                            PF

                            •=^=•=^=•=^=•=^=•=^=•=^=•=^=•=^=
                            Peter Fraterdeus
                            Slowprint.com / Semiotx.com

                            On Jan 13, 2013, at 1:06 PM, tjstrandberg <tjstrandberg@...> wrote:

                            > Does any one have an additional recommendations for label paper since this last post?
                            >
                            > Thanks,
                            >
                            > TJ
                            >
                            > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Rappoport wrote:
                            >>
                            >>> Hi! I don't have any but have also been looking to get some. Can anyone
                            >> recommend a good brand?
                            >>
                            >> Hi Keetgi and others,
                            >> I too am about to look for some nice self-adhesive label paper. I've printed on some material from Labelblank, described as "blank die-cut labels for offset & letterpress printing." It's 60lb. stock, not bad but I'd like to find a nicer paper, probably but not necessarily in whole sheets to cut myself.
                            >>
                            >> I did a little googling and found that Classic Crest has some: 70lb text uncoated avalanche white (other colors too, I think) smooth finsh. Has anyone tried that, or anything similar? This will be for bookplates for a client who doesn't want to apply glue, so it has to be self-adhesive, but a good quality paper would be great.
                            >>
                            >> Lisa
                            >> Littoral Press
                            >> Oakland, CA

                          • Leora West Mauck
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 17, 2013
                              Yes we've had great luck with both of those and with Mohawk whose jute and soft white match Lettea pearl and ecru nicely.

                              Leora Mauck, Co-Proprietor
                              Copper Willow Paper Studio
                              310.836.6004 and www.copperwillow.com

                              Sent from my mobile device so please excuse typos