Social Networks

    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 10, 2009
      Please do not send invites to social networks such as linkedin, facebook, twitter, et al, et al to this group site. Your posts will be deleted and you will be automatically removed from the list.

      Gerald
      PPL
    • Lance Williams
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 11, 2009
        Gerald,

        Just in defense of the recent offender of this policy... I know from
        personal experience with one of these sites (Facebook?) awhile ago that if
        you use their optional "Send email invitations to your friends", it will
        scan your email address book and send invitations out to ALL entries, with
        no option for editing the list.... One click on "Yes" and then identify
        your email program/address book, and you are done. If you are like me, you
        are left saying "OH SHIT! I didn't want to send them to everyone! I
        thought I'd be able to select from entries in my address book..."

        With this in mind, I think a little leniency is needed, as we, the users
        of those social networking sites, have no control on some of these
        messages...

        - Lance Williams
        Williams Stationery Co.
        Camden, New York
        APA #785

      • Austin Jones
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 11, 2009
          I understand your defense. But the issue is the same. Either understand what
          you are doing or don't do it. I am with Gerald.

          tks

          Austin Jones
          prints by AJ
          austin@...
          http://printsbyaj.com
          > Just in defense of the recent offender of this policy... I know from
          > personal experience with one of these sites (Facebook?) awhile ago that if
          > you use their optional "Send email invitations to your friends", it will
          > scan your email address book and send invitations out to ALL entries, with
          > no option for editing the list.... One click on "Yes" and then identify
          > your email program/address book, and you are done. If you are like me,
          > you
          > are left saying "OH SHIT! I didn't want to send them to everyone! I
          > thought I'd be able to select from entries in my address book..."
          >
          > With this in mind, I think a little leniency is needed, as we, the users
          > of those social networking sites, have no control on some of these
          > messages...
          >
          > - Lance Williams
          > Williams Stationery Co.
          > Camden, New York
          > APA #785

        • Lance Williams
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 11, 2009
            Austin,

            The point was that these networks DO NOT give you any advance notice that
            the invitation will be sent to ALL entries in the address book... Common
            thought would be to have the ability to select from entries in your address
            book... This will happen to a lot of people ONCE and should be excused....
            TWICE, and I am fully behind Gerald's decision..... I still think it
            should be "Once Warned, twice banned"....

            - Lance Williams
            Williams Stationery Co.
            Camden, New York
            APA #785

          • Austin Jones
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 11, 2009
              Perhaps you are correct. Everyone has been warned about these Social
              Networks - not once but many times. They are a menace to society and should
              be avoided. Now - warned many times, mess up and suffer the consequences.

              tks

              Austin Jones
              prints by AJ
              austin@...
              http://printsbyaj.com

            • rpolinski@nac.net
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 11, 2009
                I recently acquired a cut I can't identify and would appreciate any help.
                I've made a post on my blog with a photo and description:

                http://frontroompress.blogspot.com

                Thanks!

                Rich

                --
                Richard Polinski
                Front Room Press
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 11, 2009
                  Lance,
                  You will also notice that Gerald did not write that they were "banned"
                  only that they would be removed from the list. If they wish to rejoin
                  they can probably negotiate with Gerald to get back on.
                  Dave Allen

                  840 Snowdrop Ave. Victoria BC V8Z 2N4
                  (250)888-9380 http://www.Bookbinder.ca

                  Lance Williams wrote:
                  > Austin,
                  >
                  > The point was that these networks DO NOT give you any advance notice that
                  > the invitation will be sent to ALL entries in the address book... Common
                  > thought would be to have the ability to select from entries in your address
                  > book... This will happen to a lot of people ONCE and should be excused....
                  > TWICE, and I am fully behind Gerald's decision..... I still think it
                  > should be "Once Warned, twice banned"....
                  >
                  > - Lance Williams
                  > Williams Stationery Co.
                  > Camden, New York
                  > APA #785

                • Chad Pastotnik
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 12, 2009
                    I just checked out a little basement shop for sale in Grand Rapids,
                    MI. The seller would like to get rid of it all soon and it's pretty
                    complete for anyone in need of a full start up operation or to flesh
                    out their shop:

                    10x15 C&P w/ 2 chases and motor, w/ 2 good but dirty rollers

                    16" Challenge tabletop guillotine

                    furniture cabinet

                    1 nice 24 case Hamilton wood cabinet full of nothing special type

                    1 not so nice (paint, mixed case) 24 case Hamilton wood, empty w/ 7
                    metal cases and 16 wood

                    imposing stone

                    x5 Super Speed Bimatic numbering machines that match + one broken

                    x5 older National and American numbering machines

                    Wickersham coins, some leading, etc.

                    I am just listing this for the owner and have nothing else to do with
                    transactions beyond this. Really nice older gentleman who needs to
                    reclaim his basement. Here is his contact info to inquire for prices:

                    Bill Karpowicz
                    616-459-9238
                    bk1924@...

                    Good luck.

                    ___________________________
                    Chad Pastotnik
                    Deep Wood Press 231.587.0506
                    http://www.deepwoodpress.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 12, 2009
                      Lance

                      I understand the concerns, however, many of these social networks are abused by spammers. I get invitations almost weekly from sites I have never heard of and people I do not know. Word is, if you don't know the person or the site, don't respond. The fact that we are getting bombarded by this stuff, at least, I am as owner/moderator (moderated posters posts come to me), makes this a serious concern. Today we got two back to back posts from an unmoderated poster. Kind of pissed me off. I'm tired of this. If you need to communicate with your friends and the only way you know how to is with automated lists, well, try email or snail mail or give them a phone call. If you need all the "friends" you can possible gather or who you want to know your every whim, invite them to your social network, one at a time.

                      Gerald

                      > Austin,
                      >
                      > The point was that these networks DO NOT give you any advance notice that
                      > the invitation will be sent to ALL entries in the address book... Common
                      > thought would be to have the ability to select from entries in your address
                      > book... This will happen to a lot of people ONCE and should be excused....
                      > TWICE, and I am fully behind Gerald's decision..... I still think it
                      > should be "Once Warned, twice banned"....
                      >
                      > - Lance Williams
                      > Williams Stationery Co.
                      > Camden, New York
                      > APA #785

                    • tricia treacy
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 13, 2009
                        Hello,

                        I am doing a relatively low-budget, label project for someone and
                        need to get sticker paper. I don't want to order this in bulk since
                        we are doing a small run. Does anyone have any left-over off-cuts of
                        sticker paper in their studio that they would be willing to sell or
                        trade? Also, if anyone has a good suggestion of where to buy smaller
                        quantities of sticker paper, that would be helpful, as well.

                        We just threw out a large box of this at our school shop and I wished
                        that I had held onto it.

                        Thanks very much.

                        Best, Tricia

                        Tricia Treacy : Pointed Press : www.pointedpress.com

                      • leorawest
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 13, 2009
                          Where is your shop located? I have lots in recycled white and textured kraft in full sheets in the Los Angeles area.
                        • Keetgi Kogan
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 13, 2009
                            Hi! I don't have any but have also been looking to get some. Can anyone
                            recommend a good brand?

                            Thank you!

                            --Keetgi

                            ___

                            Keetgi Kogan

                            Monkey Business

                            477 Hillside Lane

                            Santa Monica, California 90402

                            310 454 7947

                            310 383 5972

                            keetgi.kogan@...

                            monkeybusinesspress.com

                          • Lisa Rappoport
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 13, 2009
                              > Hi! I don't have any but have also been looking to get some. Can anyone
                              recommend a good brand?

                              Hi Keetgi and others,
                              I too am about to look for some nice self-adhesive label paper. I've printed on some material from Labelblank, described as "blank die-cut labels for offset & letterpress printing." It's 60lb. stock, not bad but I'd like to find a nicer paper, probably but not necessarily in whole sheets to cut myself.

                              I did a little googling and found that Classic Crest has some: 70lb text uncoated avalanche white (other colors too, I think) smooth finsh. Has anyone tried that, or anything similar? This will be for bookplates for a client who doesn't want to apply glue, so it has to be self-adhesive, but a good quality paper would be great.

                              Lisa
                              Littoral Press
                              Oakland, CA
                            • tjstrandberg
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 13, 2013
                                Does any one have an additional recommendations for label paper since this last post?

                                Thanks,

                                TJ

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 16, 2013
                                  Check the Strathmore or Neenah lines.
                                  I've been very pleased with the self adhesive stock, comes in letter size packs.

                                  PF

                                  •=^=•=^=•=^=•=^=•=^=•=^=•=^=•=^=
                                  Peter Fraterdeus
                                  Slowprint.com / Semiotx.com

                                  On Jan 13, 2013, at 1:06 PM, tjstrandberg <tjstrandberg@...> wrote:

                                  > Does any one have an additional recommendations for label paper since this last post?
                                  >
                                  > Thanks,
                                  >
                                  > TJ
                                  >
                                  > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Rappoport wrote:
                                  >>
                                  >>> Hi! I don't have any but have also been looking to get some. Can anyone
                                  >> recommend a good brand?
                                  >>
                                  >> Hi Keetgi and others,
                                  >> I too am about to look for some nice self-adhesive label paper. I've printed on some material from Labelblank, described as "blank die-cut labels for offset & letterpress printing." It's 60lb. stock, not bad but I'd like to find a nicer paper, probably but not necessarily in whole sheets to cut myself.
                                  >>
                                  >> I did a little googling and found that Classic Crest has some: 70lb text uncoated avalanche white (other colors too, I think) smooth finsh. Has anyone tried that, or anything similar? This will be for bookplates for a client who doesn't want to apply glue, so it has to be self-adhesive, but a good quality paper would be great.
                                  >>
                                  >> Lisa
                                  >> Littoral Press
                                  >> Oakland, CA

                                • Leora West Mauck
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jan 17, 2013
                                    Yes we've had great luck with both of those and with Mohawk whose jute and soft white match Lettea pearl and ecru nicely.

                                    Leora Mauck, Co-Proprietor
                                    Copper Willow Paper Studio
                                    310.836.6004 and www.copperwillow.com

                                    Sent from my mobile device so please excuse typos